Start by marking “The Unknown Poe” as Want to Read:
The Unknown Poe

The Unknown Poe

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An indispensable anthology of brilliant hard-to-find writings by Poe on poetry, the imagination, humor, and the sublime which adds a new dimension to his stature as a speculative thinker and philosopher. Essays (in translation) by Charles Baudelaire Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Valéry, & André Breton shed light on Poe’s relevance within European literary tradition.
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Unknown Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unknown Poe

Dexter
I loved it--the marginalia, the supplemental essays by Poe's contemporaries and admirers alike, the rare illustrations. Poe's insights and analysis into various subjects as art, philosophy, music, profane and prosaic existence, &c., get delightfully obtuse but intuitively and easily recognisable. This book is indispensable for any fan of Edgar Allan Poe.
Tess
Interesting and bizarre. If you only know Poe's poetry and short stories, I encourage you to read this. His literary criticisms, the drama and fiery feuds he had with his contemporaries, and his obsession with breakthroughs in the scientific and crime investigation worlds really help to round out the picture of who he was.
Michael
May 17, 2008 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the real E.A. Poe
Nowadays, Poe seems like such an academic throwaway, and no doubt the horror inspired school curriculum, in which "Usher" and the "Tell-tale Heart", are required reading in order to hurl us into the mind of a madman, does not help us understand the man any better. This is an ideal edition to navigate through his mind and influential heritage, most particularly that of the French Symbolists, who actually made an effort to take him seriously as a thinker. I have always thought that the "Imp of the ...more
Julie Unruh
I loved it, you can see how he was a "normal" person, and when he started going mad and drinking. How he didn't drink because he did not like the effects on him. How his family kicked him out and said he would never inherit their wealth, so he died alone, drunk on the street.
Lief
I like this book because it gives a lot of insight into Poe that is otherwise often unknown. Of particular interest to me are Poe's views on literary criticism, and then the way French critics approach Poe and his works.
Sophie
"Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term "Art," I should call it 'the reproduction of what the Senses percieve in Nature through the veil of the soul.'" -51
Kelly
Jan 04, 2008 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: best
POEEEEEEEEEE. <3 this book has unpublished letters and musings and columns and.. lKJ:LKJ:ldkjs;ldkjflsdkf
Lorna Trask
Fantastic stuff in here -- but it left me wanting more
Emma-lee Leske
Emma-lee Leske marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
William Dickerson
William Dickerson is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2014
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
j to the muthafuckin R
j to the muthafuckin R marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
A. Basil
A. Basil marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Duncan
Duncan marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Virginia Loomis
Virginia Loomis marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
Jan 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado