Start by marking “The Unknown Poe” as Want to Read:
The Unknown Poe

The Unknown Poe

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An indispensable anthology of brilliant hard-to-find writings by Poe on poetry, the imagination, humor, and the sublime which adds a new dimension to his stature as a speculative thinker and philosopher. Essays (in translation) by Charles Baudelaire Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Valéry, & André Breton shed light on Poe’s relevance within European literary tradition.
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Unknown Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unknown Poe

Megan Prather
Dec 29, 2015 Megan Prather rated it it was amazing
I'll always give E. A. Poe 5 stars. I love the illustrations and personal letters the most. The letter to his mother when he was sick is so heartbreaking!
Tom Schulte
Feb 01, 2016 Tom Schulte rated it it was ok
This slim volume contains much you will not find in your "unabridged" Poe collections. First, there is some Poe correspondence, prose and poems from his juvenilia, excerpts of his philosophical essay Eureka: A Prose Poem and more. This last is capstone to thread of the prose pieces where he minutely and even scientifically measures and analyses his imagination, admittedly one he finds easily fueled by alcohol. In a concluding section, Poe's criticism is sampled, including that of Percy Bysshe Sh ...more
Dexter
May 03, 2009 Dexter rated it it was amazing
I loved it--the marginalia, the supplemental essays by Poe's contemporaries and admirers alike, the rare illustrations. Poe's insights and analysis into various subjects as art, philosophy, music, profane and prosaic existence, &c., get delightfully obtuse but intuitively and easily recognisable. This book is indispensable for any fan of Edgar Allan Poe.
Tess
Jul 07, 2009 Tess rated it really liked it
Shelves: midnight, history
Interesting and bizarre. If you only know Poe's poetry and short stories, I encourage you to read this. His literary criticisms, the drama and fiery feuds he had with his contemporaries, and his obsession with breakthroughs in the scientific and crime investigation worlds really help to round out the picture of who he was.
Michael
May 17, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the real E.A. Poe
Nowadays, Poe seems like such an academic throwaway, and no doubt the horror inspired school curriculum, in which "Usher" and the "Tell-tale Heart", are required reading in order to hurl us into the mind of a madman, does not help us understand the man any better. This is an ideal edition to navigate through his mind and influential heritage, most particularly that of the French Symbolists, who actually made an effort to take him seriously as a thinker. I have always thought that the "Imp of the ...more
Julie Unruh
Oct 10, 2012 Julie Unruh rated it it was amazing
I loved it, you can see how he was a "normal" person, and when he started going mad and drinking. How he didn't drink because he did not like the effects on him. How his family kicked him out and said he would never inherit their wealth, so he died alone, drunk on the street.
Lief
Feb 10, 2013 Lief rated it really liked it
I like this book because it gives a lot of insight into Poe that is otherwise often unknown. Of particular interest to me are Poe's views on literary criticism, and then the way French critics approach Poe and his works.
Sophie
Nov 08, 2008 Sophie rated it liked it
"Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term "Art," I should call it 'the reproduction of what the Senses percieve in Nature through the veil of the soul.'" -51
Kelly
Jan 04, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best
POEEEEEEEEEE. <3 this book has unpublished letters and musings and columns and.. lKJ:LKJ:ldkjs;ldkjflsdkf
Lorna Trask
Aug 06, 2010 Lorna Trask rated it really liked it
Fantastic stuff in here -- but it left me wanting more
Erwin K
Erwin K rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Leadzeep
Leadzeep marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sandy
Sandy added it
May 16, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
M. Maddox
M. Maddox rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Brittany Svoboda
Brittany Svoboda rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Michele Dilley
Michele Dilley marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Meaghan Healy
Meaghan Healy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Megan Rebekah
Megan Rebekah rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
J Roy
J Roy rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...