Start by marking “The Third Ear” as Want to Read:
The Third Ear

The Third Ear

You Can Learn Any Language -- Are you hesitating to learn a new language because you've heard it's difficult? Or are you trying right now but finding it harder than you imagined? What if you could become fluent in a new language in a very short period of time -- just months, or maybe even weeks? You can learn any new language quickly and easily. It doesn't require pain or ...more
Published February 14th 2006 by Inkstone Books (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Ear

Owlseyes
Mar 17, 2016 Owlseyes marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: those,languages-averse
Recommended to Owlseyes by: languages Dyslexical

(doctor Lozanov)

Some years ago I read some of Lozanov’s writings on Suggestopedy (use of the right-hemisphere [brain’s] potentialities and the unconscious in facilitating the learning of foreign languages). Now I’ve seen a tape Chris Lonsdale recorded in China, for students attending. It’s surely another important contribution to the field of Psychology of Learning.

His own experience seems enough-validating; his mode of thinking about some pertinent questions (how to learn any language i
A.M. Clark
Jul 15, 2013 A.M. Clark rated it really liked it
When I looked into buying a book about the process of learning a second language, this book seemed to tick all the boxes - particularly, as I was learning Mandarin and the author was a native English speaker, who had mastered Mandarin.
Overall, this book is good and even though there are a few 'flaws' with it, I gave it a four star rating because it motivated me to start using my Mandarin. The author does go off on tangents, talking about his daughter etc. These stories are a little disruptive t
Lmcwil
Dec 06, 2009 Lmcwil rated it it was ok
He makes some valid points, but most of it is just common sense. On the whole, I was disappointed by the book's shallowness. Further, it would have been nice to see some research backing up his assertions, as opposed to a series of anecdotes (mostly from his own experience). I've resisted reading this book for a long time because I had my doubts about it, but since it was just sitting there on Jenn's shelf and it's not very long, I figured why not?

Worth picking up at someone else's house and sk
Jesús Dávila
Aug 13, 2011 Jesús Dávila rated it liked it
I'm not impressed and somewhat disappointed with this book. I had read several good reviews about it in Amazon.com, and it does not live up to all the hype created there. Most claims are based on anecdotes (which are sometimes quite boring) and hardly any on scientific research.
Since I have read several books on the subject, I did not get very much out of it. However, I would still recommend it to anyone looking to pick up another language and wants some simple pointers.
Myra
Aug 27, 2016 Myra rated it liked it
Shelves: partially-read
I partially read this book. It's only useful if you haven't lived abroad and haven't dabbled in language-learning many times before. Otherwise, I think the author generally has good tips on the language learning process & changing your mentality on learning a language as an adult. He seems to go off track quite a bit though which I felt distracted from the content.
shane m sapp
May 08, 2016 shane m sapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

Currently, I live in Tijuana and am working on Spanish. The author presented a lot of good points that are applicable to any endeavor to learn a second or third language. I recommend this book to the serious student of languages.
Kalila
Kalila rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Byron Woolley
Byron Woolley rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Vilhjalmur Wiium
Vilhjalmur Wiium rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Nathan Bost
Nathan Bost rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Nathan Bost
Nathan Bost rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2014
federico
federico rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Angel
Angel rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Alicia-53
Alicia-53 rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Jason L
Jason L rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Tomislav Nebes
Tomislav Nebes rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Tim Crothers
Tim Crothers rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Dennie De Bremaecker
Dennie De Bremaecker rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Luca Gonçalves
Luca Gonçalves rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Zack Lyon
Zack Lyon rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Akita
Akita rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Justin Faist
Justin Faist rated it did not like it
Mar 17, 2014
Benny Lewis
Benny Lewis rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
David Schneider
David Schneider rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Ruslan
Ruslan rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Zia
Zia rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016