An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City

An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A guide for actors to working successfully in New York City. It contains hints, tips and inside information from a New York show-business professional. Some of the topics covered include: headshots; actor training; agents and managers; scams; auditioning; and networking.
Published February 1st 2002 by Allworth Press

Jeremy Bethea
I think this is a great resource not only for actors, but for any performing artist in New York. There is a lot of useful information that transfers between disciplines. I particularly like that the auther includes actual interviews with respected, working professionals in New York. The book is well-organized and provides a thorough overview of the acting profession in New York City.
Teodora
May 14, 2008 Teodora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: actors
Recommended to Teodora by: found it browsing
This is a good reference book. I like this guy's style- he is down-to-earth. It is not something you read through, but something you can constantly open for new inspiration and tips.
If anyone ever tested his recommendations, would you let me know? In fact, I am currently looking for a head shot photographer following his prescription and we will see how far I will get.
Rhiannon
Not as great as I was hoping it would be. Pretty sloppy update on what was probably a more useful book when it was originally published (early 2000's). Alterman barely touched on the electronic submission process and, at one point, recommends black and white headshots as the industry standard.
Garry
Sep 28, 2008 Garry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every actor
Recommended to Garry by: acting coach
This guy offers you everything you need to know when going to New York to start an acting career. It's my BIBLE! Every actor must own!
Meg2
Was very informative without being kitschy. I really found it helpful and easy to read.
Cristie Li
Cristie Li marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nathan
Nathan added it
Jul 14, 2014
Nick S
Nick S marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2012
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
May
May added it
Jun 13, 2011
Sarah Arlen
Sarah Arlen marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2008
Blake
Blake is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2007
2 Minutes and Under The Perfect Audition Monologue Glenn Alterman's Secrets to Successful Cold Readings Writing the Ten-Minute Play: A Book for Playwrights and Actors Who Want to Write Plays The Job Book Ii: 100 Day Jobs For Actors (Career Development Book)