Start by marking “An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City” as Want to Read:
An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City

An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A guide for actors to working successfully in New York City. It contains hints, tips and inside information from a New York show-business professional. Some of the topics covered include: headshots; actor training; agents and managers; scams; auditioning; and networking.
Published February 1st 2002 by Allworth Press

To ask other readers questions about An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Actor's Guide--Making It in New York City

Jeremy Bethea
Dec 06, 2012 Jeremy Bethea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I think this is a great resource not only for actors, but for any performing artist in New York. There is a lot of useful information that transfers between disciplines. I particularly like that the auther includes actual interviews with respected, working professionals in New York. The book is well-organized and provides a thorough overview of the acting profession in New York City.
Teodora
May 14, 2008 Teodora rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: actors
Recommended to Teodora by: found it browsing
Shelves:
This is a good reference book. I like this guy's style- he is down-to-earth. It is not something you read through, but something you can constantly open for new inspiration and tips.
If anyone ever tested his recommendations, would you let me know? In fact, I am currently looking for a head shot photographer following his prescription and we will see how far I will get.
Rhiannon
Jul 07, 2011 Rhiannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Not as great as I was hoping it would be. Pretty sloppy update on what was probably a more useful book when it was originally published (early 2000's). Alterman barely touched on the electronic submission process and, at one point, recommends black and white headshots as the industry standard.
Garry
Sep 28, 2008 Garry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every actor
Recommended to Garry by: acting coach
This guy offers you everything you need to know when going to New York to start an acting career. It's my BIBLE! Every actor must own!
Meg2
Aug 27, 2007 Meg2 rated it really liked it
Was very informative without being kitschy. I really found it helpful and easy to read.
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2015
Emma Lipinski
Emma Lipinski marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Eugenia Liontou
Eugenia Liontou marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Eric Starker
Eric Starker rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Armand
Armand is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
John Guarino
John Guarino rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Hal Griff
Hal Griff marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Billy Wilburn
Billy Wilburn rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Cristie Li
Cristie Li marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
'Ello
'Ello rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Nick S
Nick S marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Glenn Alterman
Glenn Alterman rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Vernon Campbell
Vernon Campbell rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Serena
Serena rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2012
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
May
May added it
Jun 13, 2011
Lady Natasha
Lady Natasha rated it really liked it
May 01, 2009