Start by marking “Really Unusual Bad Boys” as Want to Read:
Really Unusual Bad Boys

Really Unusual Bad Boys

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,089 ratings  ·  74 reviews
One minute, Detective Lois Commoner is popping pain pills for her bum knee in her apartment; the next, she's in a strange land with a magically delicious naked man named Prince Damon calling her beautiful and offering to show her his brand of toe-curling hospitality. Okay then. Questions? Well, maybe one or two. Like, whose idea was the no-clothes rule? How does he do that ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Really Unusual Bad Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Really Unusual Bad Boys

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
455th out of 511 books — 1,105 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
356th out of 1,317 books — 429 voters

More lists with this book...

Kait
This was a pretty good set of intertwined short stories. The over-arching story line is about one family of were-pumas, and the women that they end up with. The individual stories are about the three sons and their mates, so we never really leave the story behind, unlike other short story books.

To be honest, the book wasn't a work of literary greatness, but it was amusing and entertaining and fairly well done in that sense. I'm also not rushing around recommending this book to everyone I meet.
Anna's Herding Cats!
Aaaaaaand...short stories from hell. I think, maybe, I've outgrown MaryJanice Davidson or at the very least just do not enjoy her short stories. I used to LOVE her books. Especially her Alaskan Royal Family series. I'd be in tears laughing so hard. But the humor, for me, just isn't working anymore and that point was driven home by Really Unusual Bad Boys.

The three stories included revolve around the Royal family of the SandLands, an alternative universe full of kitty shifters. Each story featur
Chris
Dascha
Mar 28, 2010 Dascha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who want more fantasy erotica from their romance books
So I picked this up at my library when I couldn't find the next in any series I'm reading and it looked to be interesting. 3 related stories in one book with gorgeous men from an alternate universe where 3 unrelated women are exposed to these men. Sci-fi meets women's erotica. The author, Davidson certainly exploits desperate women readers who'd love to have "Mr. Perfect, gorgeous and well-endowed and is comfortable walking around naked and wants to ravish you and hold you up on a pedestal" drop ...more
Claire
Trigger Warning- Suicide

I don't think that suicide should have been included, especially given that the cover and blurb don't even hint at it. I honestly feel like Davidson could have written the story without including it (surely just having Lois realise she hated her life and wished she was anywhere else would be enough).

It's such a horrible and sensitive topic and I don't think it was dealt with very well, the suicide was treated almost casually. I think if suicide (or any other horrific top
Gmc
Really Unusual Bad Boys by MaryJanice Davidson

The book contains three connected stories, Bridefight, Mating Season, and Groomfight.

In "Bridefight" Detective Lois Commoner is popping pain pills for her bum knee in her apartment; the next, she's in a strange land with a magically delicious naked man named Prince Damon calling her beautiful.

In "Mating Season" Lt. Anne Sanger joined the W.A.C.s so she could see the world. She fails into a bathing pool almost landing on a surprised Prince Matese.
Melea
Hey! I read a boy and girl fall in love, and live happily ever after story! I'm getting better! It doesn't hurt that this particular book had 3 short stories, that were so unusually supernatural that it wasn't like reading the usual romance.
Read: August 2006
Read again: February 2008

This was a really quick read and really fun. Three short stories that all tie in together.
Steph
Oct 15, 2011 Steph rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is bored and stuck for something to do.
Vickie
Alrighty...I don't typically read paranormal romance or any romance books really. I like grit, humor, suspense, thrill, horror....romance just doesn't do it for me reading wise. It did back-in-the-day when it was a wonder-what-it-would-be-like or a salve after a breakup of my uber-casual relationships. Now the romance gets sort of in the way of the story, so I avoid them.

Except I felt like it would be fun to see what MaryJanice had to say since I knew it would be funny at least. And I was right
Jage
This was a fun read, more of a big book about three different romances than an anthology, especially since the first story is the only one that really felt like a thought out storyline for the main characters themselves.

There are some pretty major plot holes [she buries her mother but then her mother shows up in the Sandlands] and the 'bad boys' are as far from 'bad' as you can find. I mean, they're like puppies instead of pumas and everything really feels like a strange drug induced dream, eve
Kambra
Dec 16, 2009 Kambra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves romance, a spice of paranormal and a nice touch of humor wit.
Recommended to Kambra by: no one, I just sort stumbled upon it. I love the author, so tha
Shelves: paranormal
I LOVE THIS BOOK!
I just picked it up at a nearby Borders store and couldn't put it down. Its three different stories that somehow make it a sequel to what happened after the ending of the first story. I don't really want to give anything away, but I love the plot, as well as the twists and turns in it. The characters are believable and not the usual mary-sue beauty perfection happening with the women but at the same, not the type of women where you think to yourself "Now that's just no way near
Arzella
Maryjanice Davidson is truly warped. I read a lot of fantasy, sci-fi,paranormal stuff. Davidson is one of those authors that really know how to take it that far and then move a bit over the mark.

This novel takes us to the Sand Lands. A parallel universe where the people are shifters and people from our universe drop in after dying for the most part. Our heroine is as usual for Davidson a bit of a self absorbed bitch. She committed suicide and ends up finding the man of her dreams who gives her
Asani Brewton
I first read these stories when they were published through Alura (sp?)'s Cave - website for this vein of ebooks many, many years ago. I liked them well enough at the time and was pleased to pick up the series in a nice paperback collection to add to my library. The first story in the series is my favorite, the others eh... It's a very light read with several yummo steamy moments. There definately could have been more of the yummo in my opinion. And the second story was more annoying than hot. R ...more
Laurel Horner
Very entertaining started and finished this book in about 2 hours. Loved all the short stories all intertwined.
Michele
Interesting storylines.

"Bridefight" - One minutes Lois Commoner is popping pain pills for her bum knee; the next, she's in a strange land with a magically delicious naked man named Prince Damon. Questions? Maybe one or two."Mating Season" - Lt. Anne Sanger jointed the W.A.C.s to see the world and meet someone, she meant Europe and nice Boise farm boy - not a feral, well-built, rakish man in a bathtub claiming he has wished her to be his mate."Groomfight" - Rica Callanbra is used to odd things ha
Technoelfie
These interlinked stories about three shapeshifting brothers who live in a candy-colored fantasy land where there is no disease and everybody is scantily clad and good-looking are pure Disneyfied fantasy fluff. They might be a bit too cutesy and sweet to be healthy, but they are good-natured fluff. The heroes are a bit stupid but kind and the heroines are not as annoying as they usually are in these 'modern-day woman travels to fantasy land' stories.

All in all a feel-good collection of stories t
Tammy Pickens
It was an ok read.
Erin O'Riordan
This was my "reading in the car" book, and I read it in small doses over the past few weeks. That's how I like MaryJanice Davidson - in small doses. I enjoyed this book, with its big-cat shapeshifters and time/dimension travel. It's Davidson's trademark combination of paranormal erotica and humor, with pleasant alpha heroines; I especially like World War II-era warrior woman Anne Sanger. This would make a perfect beach read. It's nothing unforgettable, but it's fun and its reads quickly.
Kathy jenkins
what was i thinking? i hurry to the library to pick up some books - mostly murder mysteries by authors i like and i decide i need some fun books too. this was a silly story told with lots of sex and cuss words about some alternate planet where the people change from human to feline. sometimes earthlings end up here and that's what happened in this story. unless you're into reading darn near smut level descriptions of sex acts and want a little romance in the mix, don't bother.
Chinablue_25 West Bostedor
Really don't understand the title of this book in relation to the men in these short stories. The book is broken up into three stories, of each brother finding love. All the men in this book,(the three brothers and their father) were very polite, sweet, accepting men who loved and appreciated strong independent women. Nothing Bad about them. The far fetched part is that it takes place in another parallel universe if you will. Unusual is appropriate for this title.
Kelli Klein
Ok, I read the book, Really Unusual Bad Boys, which had three stories in it: Bridefight, Mating Season and Groomfight. I rated it 3 out of 5 stars at the time I finished it, but now when it came to the time to write a review for it, I found out I have... nothing. I have no memory of reading the book. It wasn't memorable, and I bet it was just downright silly like I discovered MaryJanice Davidson's stories have been.
DK Hoffman
Just not my cup of tea.
Janet
I keep hearing people refer to this as a “short story collection.” I beg to differ. To me short stories are separate little jewels with maybe the same overall theme (weddings, death, etc) but that’s the end of their similarity. These three are more like three episodes in a soap opera. While they can stand on their own, it’s much more rewarding to have all of them in one place.
Kellie
This one was okay. An easy enough read, and some decent characters, but wasn't really liking the fantasy world she created. The last story I didn't like at all; it seemed all the characters did was argue, and there was a tendency to get confused because the dialogues kept running together.
Rebecca
This was a pretty terrible book. I managed to read most of it. When I got to the last 20 pages I couldn't take anymore and threw it in the campfire.

I have read a lot of garbage in my time but this one is two days of my life I feel like I can't get back.
Kate Moffatt
I read this book in an afternoon, it wasn't a bad little read but it wasn't what I was used to coming from MJD, I have read pretty much most of all her books and this one would have to ranked towards the bottom end for me. It was no Betsy.
Heather Tisdale
The first story was interesting. The other two were okay. No one ever really explained what happened to the invaders very well. It's all implied, but it seems like there should have been a more definitive explanation for what happened.
Pam

10/12/05 #179
TITLE/AUTHOR: REALLY UNUSUAL BADY BOYS by Mary Janice Davidson
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PAGES: Paranormal Romance, 2005, 219 pgs
COMMENTS: Three princes from another world meet their mates. Fun, quick read.

Karine
When I first started this book I thought that it was three short stories. However it may be just that, but they all link together. It is about 3 different brothers from the SandLands and how they each find their own ‘mate’.
  • Bad Boys With Expensive Toys
  • Bayou Bad Boys
  • Bad Boys Next Exit (Includes: Men of Rogues Hollow, #2)
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • I Love Bad Boys
  • Immortal Bad Boys
  • Men at Work
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Viva Las Bad Boys!
  • 3 Brides for 3 Bad Boys (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #2)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby
  • Texas Bad Boys
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • Beach Blanket Bad Boys
  • Bad Boys Over Easy
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)

“You do not go near them. You do not allow them to touch you. If one does touch you, I will eat his spine."

"It's good," she commented, "that we're establishing rules. For instance, being a newcomer here, I might not understand the whole 'don't touch or be devoured' guideline..."

-Prince Maltese and Lt. Anne”
1 likes