Hollywood Car Wash

Hollywood Car Wash

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Amy Spencer is an accidental celebrity. On Monday, she's a normal college student in Michigan. By the end of the week, she's in Hollywood, starring in a TV pilot--as a regular girl from Michigan. It's all fun and games until the show gets picked up and Amy learns the terrible price of stardom--to keep the part she didn't even want at first, she's going to have to get the "...more
Published March 28th 2007 by ASJA Press

Shonda
Hollywood Car Wash is about the overnight rise to fame of a University of Michigan student to a Golden Globe nominee TV actress. In a matter of an instant, Amy Spencer's life drastically changes. When her roommate signs her up for the audition, Amy reluctantly attends and to her surprise she is the "face" they have in mind for the part. Amy is whisked away to LA where she lands the lead role on Autumn Leaves.

Amy suddenly goes from poor college student to earning $500,000 by the end of season one...more
Andrea

Amy Spencer has an audition that will change her life forever--only its for a teen pop-like tv show instead of an independant film (which is what she dreams of staring in). She gets the job and movies to LA to begin a new life where what is normal back in her midwest hometown is now not acceptable in the high maintenence world of superstardom. Her best friend, Vince, a gay stylist, moves out to LA and they both live the dream. But superstardom is not all that its cracked up to be. There is a pri...more
Kim V
A Hollywood car wash, according to author Lori Culwell, is the transformation process imposed on women in the entertainment industry. The novel details the hollywood car wash heroine Amy Spencer is pressured to under go including liposuction, rhinoplasty, cosmetic dentistry, and dangerous diet drugs to keep the lead in her hit television series. Nor is the transformation process limited to Amy's physical appearance, but also spills over into her personal life when she is paid to date mega celebr...more
Becca
Midwestern college student and aspiring-indie-films-actress, Amy Spencer, auditions for the lead role in a new TV series. Soon she’s on an plane to California, put up in an exclusive hotel and show to the network studio where…she gets the job!

Of course they say they hired her for her acting ability, but she’s quickly put through the ‘hollywood car wash’- diets, hair color, plastic surgery- to make her more marketable, the enviable ‘ideal’. The question ever before her is how much is she willing...more
Beckie
Review originally posted:

Hollywood Car Wash is the second book I have read by author Lori Culwell. The first being her latest novel "The Dirt". I was not sure what to expect going into this one but I will say I did hope I would love it as much as I did The Dirt. I was right, so right! This book has everything from interesting characters to a fun and engrossing story-line. I mean I know everyone loves hearing some juicy gossip. It's all about the world of...more
Angela
Lori Culwell's emotional intelligence, insider knowledge of Hollywood, and excellent writing skills combine to create the ultimate reading experience in Hollywood Car Wash.

Amy Spencer, a young, hopeful, dreamy actress, plunges headfirst into the starring role of an edgy TV weekly drama. Culwell perfectly captures Amy's innocence and naivete. I fell in love with Amy and identified with her. How can one resist a character who embodies the sweet idealism of youth?

Amy's idealism slowly erodes throug...more
Amy
Welcome to the world of fake boobs and plastic people, aka Hollywood. Amy Spencer finds herself thrust into the spotlight via the advice of her best friend to try out for a tv show. Amy leaves her life behind in Michigan and her friend at college to pursue the American dream. Amy gets the lead on a new show called Autumn Leaves. Amy is happy to have her big break, although she preferred to go the indie route. she's happy either way to make a name for herself and help out her family. What Amy doe...more
Cathy
I really enjoyed this book and funny because I almost didn't buy it (even though it was on sale at a local discount store in town for $1.99!). I know they say don't judge a bok by its cover, but I did - I was less then enthralled by its cover photos and title but when I read some of the rave reviews here on Goodreads, I raced back to the store and purchased it. I am so glad I did because it turned out to be such a fabulous chick lit read. By reading just the back summary, I thought this novel wa...more
Anna
Of course, the draw for me here was the whole "Katie Holmes threw a hissy fit when she read this b/c she thought it was about her" factor. Interestingly, it doesn't really get to the contract engagement part until about 3/4 through, and I couldn't help but snicker throughout that section. I did enjoy the snark though, especially the main character Amy "Star" Spencer's best friend Vince (the stock endearing gay best pal stylist) that allowed for her submerged irony to come through as she submits...more
Leah
Basically I just couldn't finish the novel. I got 50 pages in and I'd had enough. The editing is rubbish, and I just can't read a book that is so poorly presented. It makes me want to take a black marker pen to it. Plus the time-jumping was a nightmare, instead of focusing on certain scenes and giving us more background info on the whole TV show audition process it just jumped constantly so Amy auditioned the first time. Jump to the second time. Third time. She has the job. No in-between, no gos...more
Kelly
This book was fairly enjoyable once I got over my annoyances with the author. The main character is from Bay City Michigan and a graduate of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, but for some reason the author kept referring to it as UM rather than U of M. Also early on in the book, the character references that while she may be from Bay City, MI she has never seen any or been in any corn fields. As a character who has driven between A2 and Bay City numerous, I am sure that is far from the re...more
Jamie
I really liked this book, so much I bought a copy for a friend (mine was electronic). If you enjoy following the gossip rags, Kardashians, or anything in that nature, you will enjoy this book. I liked it because it was an interesting take on what celebrities have to go through to maintain their stardome. Definitely beach reading and doesn't require much brain power, perfect for the nail salon or the treadmill. If you have no interest in Hollywood then I would say this is not the book for you. It...more
Stacy
I'm a sucker for "behind the scenes" books anyway and this one really lets you know what's going on. I couldn't believe some of the stuff the main character had to do/go through! CRAZY!
The book was great, but the editing could've been better. So many missed quotation marks! I'd get confused and have to go back and re-read a sentence because I didn't realize the first time round that it was dialogue. And there was a issue with the word, "said," instead of, "says." That was confusing too. But the...more
Stephanie
I hadn't heard of this book until I won it in a goodreads giveaway. However, that didn't stop me from really enjoying the book. This would be a great beach read or a lazy Sat. read. It really makes you wonder if thats what real hollywood goes through. If thats the case we shouldn't spend so much money on the gossip magazines because its all a sham anyways. I did get a little sick of the main star talking about her weight the entire book but not enough to turn me off of the book.
Diane
The book was well written and the auther must of done a lot of research, before writting. I'm not sure this would of been a book I would normally read. I found the characters funny and sad. What a life it must be to go through all that to be something that you are not. The main character went through so much and the changes in her life. The book did give me a good laugh though.
Life must be tuff in Hollywood if even some of it is ture. Not a life for me.
Janaan
Aug 11, 2008 Janaan added it
This book is about is about a young actress who marries a high powered star with a secret. Katie Holmes is reportedly beside herself about the situations in the book which eerily mirror her own life and, although the author doesn't specifically name Holmes as an inspiration, she does say that the book is based on real events. This book is totally entertaining and probably a pretty accurate representation of Hollywood.
Lisa
This is about Amy Spencer, and how she becomes an accidental celebrity and loses herself along the way. I had no sympathy for her, even though it might not entirely be her fault that she got sucked up by Hollywood. Not that I'm a Hollywood insider, but this book didn't really reveal any major secrets. It was like reading something I'd already read before, about someone I didn't really care for, and I knew how it would end.
Denise
Sep 11, 2010 Denise added it
This book was terrible--don't even bother picking it up. Like a train wreck, you knew it would be horrific, but couldn't look away/put it down. It was completely over-the-top and lacked any significant purpose. To make matters worse (and I'm not sure who's fault this was) but there were typos and missing words practically on every page, and it drove me nuts.
Mandy Rae Coudriet
I won this book here on good reads. I have to say it was not at all what I expected. This book is amazing the story line was great and it really had me thinking. Does that really happen? Un like most books I have been reading Loris writing is so easy to read everything flows perfectly. I would definately recommend this book. 2 thumbs up and a 5 star rating from me
Cloie
this was a good read. I like to hear stories about how famous people start thinking that they are too special to follow the normal rules of society. They start out normal and become convinced that they can be spoilled and braty and then those same people who convinced them of this, thwart them.

great book, look forward to reading more from Lori Culwell.
Tasha
This was one where I just wanted something to read and my kids didn't let me go look so I just grabbed a book off the shelf. It wasn't all that bad, but it's not something I would read again. It gave you a look at what some people will do to make it in Hollywood and how a normal person can get roped into some of the craziest things and lose themselves.
Kourtney
Aug 30, 2008 Kourtney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kourtney by: Amazon and the rumors abound
I heard the rumors that this book was based on Katie Holmes and her "deal" with a certain couch jumper so of COURSE I had to read it for myself. This book really made me scratch my head and wonder if this could really happen in Hollywood. The sad part - it really could! Great read and would recommend for any gossip hounds.
Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2007 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: chick lit
Shelves: wishlist
I met the author of this book recently at a handbag event (I still can't believe I go to these things, its kind of horrifying). She seemed pretty cool. I'm curious to check this book out. Aparently all the actor types go through a Hollywood carwash (new teeth, diets, blond hair, the works) before they can work.
Alison
OH my god, what I learn from this book is the insanity of being an actress in LA. I never ever want to be one after reading this. The book is fun and funny and seriously full of details about the world of LA television..
also there is a total Tom Cruise Katie Holmes thing...in a weird way!
Erin
Finally! A really good chick lit novel! :) This book was well written and very realistic about how young actresses are really put through the wringer in Hollywood. I recommend this for anyone who is enamoured of the Hollywood lifestyle. You'll change your mind quick! ;)
Iris
I probably would have liked it more had I read the cover. I truly expected there to be a car wash there somewhere. Took me awhile to figure out it wasn't going to happen. But it was a good book all the same, but the expectation of that kind of bummed me out.
Christine
This book is supposed to be about Katie Holmes, but I don't see it. I think that was just said to make people want to buy this book. It's definately why I bought it. The book didn't live up to the hype, and was very dissapointing. Big waste of time....
Kaalomai
entertaining, deadly expose on the hollywood machine and how they shape their stars lives and bodies to create optimal revenue. gross. depressing but interesting. reflects katie homes and tom cruise relationship set up as most people seem to see it as such.
Melissa Brown
Mar 12, 2008 Melissa Brown rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lexie
This is a very fun story that gives you an inside look behind the hollywood "machine." I read it b/c I had read in UsWeekly (my weekly guilty pleasure) that it was loosely based on Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. Ya never know.....a fun read no matter what!
Sara
Good beach book (or airport book, in my case). Tells the story of a girl who went from the college drama department to Hollywood star overnight. While it's fluff, it does have a lot of interesting insight on how the Hollywood machine works.
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Possession of Cassie Quinn
  • How I Learned to Love the Walrus
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Perfect Blend: A Novel
  • Disneylanders
  • My Girlfriend Bites
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • Unravelled
  • Forever (Temptation, #3)
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
The Dirt How to Market a Book Million Dollar Website: Simple Steps to Help You Compete with the Big Boys - Even on a Small BusinessBudget Wealth from Within: Meditation, Consciousness, and the Real Secret to Getting What You Want Wealth from Within: the Real Secret to Using the Law of Attraction (Law of Attraction Made Simple)