Start by marking “Waking Up to Boys” as Want to Read:

Practice wakeboard front flip

Host late-night island party

Build a bonfire

Seduce Todd!!!

Published May 29th 2007 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Up to Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Up to Boys

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsIt's Not Summer Without You by Jenny HanThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Summer Break Books for YA
110th out of 566 books — 561 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareThe Summoning by Kelley ArmstrongWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Dude, Where's My Forehead?
99th out of 953 books — 660 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsey Russell
Janelle
May 28, 2008 Janelle rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked the whole plot revolving around wakeboarding - I've never read one about that sport before. Even though I knew the main girl, Chelsea was going to end up with Todd at the end it was nice to see her trying to make it work with another guy. Overall, I actually really enjoyed this book and I think the writing was fantastic! I definitely want to read more by this author.
Krystal
Dec 11, 2011 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Another good read by Hailey Abbott
Amanda P
Jul 16, 2011 Amanda P rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of Hailey Abbott's books, but I think, this book I liked more, since I did read it in one day. It had lots of action with Chelsea as a wakeboarder.

Chelsea is in love with her instructor Todd, who also taught her how to wake board. She has extremely good talent at this sport and tries to prove herself to her parents and Todd. I like Todd`s character, even if he was like a `playboy` but in the end he really shows his affections at the right moment. I liked Abbott`s writing throu
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Taylor Rector for TeensReadToo.com

Chelsea is a wakeboarding lover!

Her parents own a resort that is right on Lake Tahoe and she is in love with the wakeboarding instructor, Todd. He was the one who taught Chelsea her passion at age fourteen, and now she is better than he is at his own sport! And now they are competing against each other at the Northwest Extreme Watersports Competition that is going to be held in the resort's part of the lake!

But, over the summer, she meets a guy tha
Minha
Jan 13, 2014 Minha rated it liked it
The book Waking Up to Boys by, Halley Abbott, overall theme was mainly learning to accept the way you are. Chelsea, the main character in the story, always had a big passion for wakeboarding she has been doing it for many years, but ever since her step sister, Sara came along she knew that she had more of a completion to deal with than just wakeboarding. Sara was this perfect girl that would get all the boys and good grades which made Chelsea very jealous of her and tried her best to ignore her ...more
Pamela Hubbard
Chelsea is the daughter of Lake Tahoe resort owners. She is also obsessed with wakeboarding. Now that it's summer, she is ready to take the wakeboarding world by storm, and also hopefully catch the eye of the boy she has loved forever, Todd. But the summer takes a few twists and turns and Chelsea finds herself hooking up with Brazilian Sebastian and Todd continues to hook up with other girls. Chelsea learns what it is she really wants and finally comes to accept herself for who she is.
The main c
Alexandra
Aug 08, 2012 Alexandra rated it liked it
I had high expectations going into this book because of my sister who had read it and recommended it to me. I thought it was a decent book, but I was disappointed. I found it a little boring at times and I didn't really like any of the characters too much. The beginning of the book was hardest to get through. I felt like it took a long time for the actual story to get going, which really annoyed me, (I think a book should be good from the first page). As I kept reading though, I did enjoy the st ...more
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
Not my favorite. Chelsea loves wakeboarding, and she's had a crush on Todd, her wakeboarding instructor for 3 years. However, he just teases her and treats her like a kid sister. Sebastian, a Brazilian, comes to work at the resort as a tennis instructor. He and Chelsea start dating. There are some weak subplots about her over-protective dad and her sexy half-sister, but they don't really feel fleshed out.
Nikki  Peterson
Jul 03, 2014 Nikki Peterson rated it liked it
Nikki's thoughts:
Chelsea's parents own a fab resort on Lake Tahoe. This year she is going to be working along with the returning staff that she has gotten to know. She will be one of two wakeboard instructors there now.

Chelsea has had the hots for Todd for 2 years since he started when she was 14. He's always been kind of full of him self but when he returns to the camp this year he finds a 16 year old Chelsea that is just as good as and on the way to being better then he is. And he doesn't see
Kayla Gerard-Hermitte
I actually kind of enjoyed this book. One of the better Hailey Abbott books
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

My Summer To-Do List:

Practice wakeboard front flip

Host late-night island party

Build a bonfire

Seduce Todd!!!

Chelsea's more comfortable strapped onto her wakeboard on Lake Tahoe than laced into platform espadrilles—or flirting with Todd, the adorable watersports instructor she's been crushing on for years. So instead she concentrates on winning this summer's Northwest Extreme Watersports Competition. That is, until Sebastian, a hot Brazilian tennis prodigy, wakes her up to the fact that she can ge
Cassie Parker
Oct 01, 2014 Cassie Parker rated it really liked it
My cousin had this book, but she didn't enjoy it, so she gave me her copy. I was kind of hesitant to read it because of the cover and because of my cousin's review, but I'm glad I did open it to read.
The characters were fun and interesting and so was the plot. The events that took place kept me interested and entertained. The relationships were entertaining and mostly realistic. It was a great read.
The reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because it was a little to predictable, but
Maranda Wingate
Dec 09, 2014 Maranda Wingate rated it it was ok
Ok as a light read, slightly boring so I wouldn't recommend if you have readers block!
Christine
Apr 09, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed. I was looking for more of a page turner kind of book because the summary sounded pretty good to me! This was a cute fun read, but it definately wasn't one of the best books I've ever read. I liked Chelsea. She was easy to relate to. I just wish there could have been more on her and Todd's relationship. If you are looking for a cute quick read than this is the book for you.
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I liked this book. I liked that Hailey Abbot was able to make Chelsea sporty and less educated about makeup and clothes, but she still wasn't completely hopeless, and I didn't picture her as a sweaty, smelly, dishevelled mess like I usually do with characters like that. It was fun and light and enjoyable. Perfect for the beach or by the pool or in between bigger reads.
Steph
Jul 11, 2012 Steph rated it it was amazing
The book was fantastic and an easy read. The main character Chelsea had her ups and her downs and was able to find out a lot about herself through all the events that played out in the book. The descriptions of everything were wonderful and I felt like I was within the pages of the book with the characters. I'm glad I chose to read it!
Aileen
Oct 09, 2011 Aileen rated it liked it
Cute fun read that you can get into easily. I liked that you can easily relate to Chelsea's insecurities, competitiveness, and so much else about her. She seems a lot like your average awkward teenage girl who doesn't know how to get what she wants, or even WHAT she wants. It was a fun light read that I really enjoyed.
Kassy
Jun 29, 2013 Kassy rated it really liked it
Simply put it was a cute and easy read. A story about a sixteen year old girl learning about guys, life and from her mistakes. Cute and typical yet untypical with her competitive and feisty ways, it was a good refresher! I mean really, when do we really stop learning?!!
Especially about BOYS
Jackie Harris
Oct 06, 2008 Jackie Harris rated it really liked it
When the little girl that isn't so little finally starts turning heads, jealousy flies at her parents summer camp that she works at. The other staff members finally treat her as a member of the staff instead of the owner's daughter. Is that freedom good, or will she take it and run with it?
Shawna
May 21, 2012 Shawna rated it it was ok
Someone told me this author was good. I've tried three of her books, liked one, one was okay and the other was just not for me. I don't think I'll read any more by this author. Her values are different than mine. (And I really don't like the book covers!)
GW
Feb 24, 2012 GW rated it really liked it
I thought that this was one of the better books by Hailey Abbott. Or maybe it was just the fact that the main character was always so determined to get that 720 flip. Todd's a sweet character as well, and I loved the cute ending.
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Apr 24, 2013 Andi (Andi's ABCs) rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Not as fun as the other books. I didn't like either boy and found Chelsea annoying. Also didn't like how it was not explained why Todd acted awful to Chelsea and and then did a complete 180. I just didn't get it.
Lianna
Mar 14, 2012 Lianna rated it it was ok
Cute quick read. Although they started to do that thing, where they make the other option look bad. So the other one looks better.

And I wish there was more of her and Leo.
Sydney Keown
Feb 04, 2013 Sydney Keown rated it really liked it
I've read five of Hailey Abbott's books and I would have to call this my favourite. It was an easy read, and easy to relate to for many teenage girls.
Czarinah
Oct 21, 2010 Czarinah rated it it was ok
light, easy fun read. something you can read in between heavy books just to have some variation
kristen
Jul 10, 2009 kristen added it
Shelves: re-reads
i liked it i learned that practise makes perfect lol and dont mess around with love
Joanna
Jun 26, 2009 Joanna rated it it was amazing
i learned if you believing in urself........dreams do come true
Celyn Ramos
Oct 10, 2013 Celyn Ramos rated it it was amazing
I LIKE SEBASTIAN A WAY BETTER. hahaha. BUT TODD IS SO HOT TOO! HAHAHA
Autumn
Aug 08, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.a very good romance book for teens.
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • Cruel Summer (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #1)
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • South Beach (Alexa & Holly, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2)
  • Save the Date
  • So Inn Love
  • Love Off-Limits
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Robyn (Making a Splash, #1)
  • Before That Night (One Night That Changes Everything, #0.5)
  • Sun-Kissed Christmas (Summer #8)
  • Lost Summer
Hailey Abbott grew up in Southern California, where she split her time between creative writing and creative beaching. She is the author of Summer Boys, Next Summer: A Summer Boys Novel, The Bridesmaid, Getting Lost with Boys, and The Secrets of Boys. Hailey now lives in New York City.

Her first book was Summer Boys, published in 2004, the first of a series. It was described as "escapist beach rea
More about Hailey Abbott...