3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A spectacular New York Times and Washington Post bestseller, My FBI is the definitive account of American law enforcement during the Clinton years and in the run-up to September 11. Louis Freeh is clear eyed, frank, the ultimate realist, and he offers resolute vision for the struggles ahead.

“[Freeh] comes off as the real deal, an honorable, hard-working man, a devoted publ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 3rd 2005)

Jack Lehnen
What a snoozer ! A writer He isnt . Lots of endless ramblings about how wonderful he is and how he kept his distance from Bill Clinton due to all the funny business going on over at the White House. I felt it was pretty much, I made a few mistakes in my career , but for the most part Iam a boy scout .

It had a few interesting sections that filled in a few gaps with regard to terrorists, but , for the most part it was all over the board . I hate that I just cant stop and toss a book once I have st...more
Susan
Interesting perspective on things like building a case against the Unabomber, fighting terrorism, and the limitations of the FBI. According to himself, Freeh is full of integrity and did a great job as director. He convinced me, but I'd be curious to hear other opinions about him.
Ice
For nearly a dozen years, Louis J. Freeh has been pointedly silent about the man who appointed him director of the FBI. That moratorium ends officially and loudly with the publication of Freeh's My FBI, a scorching account of his relationship with Bill Clinton and of leading the bureau at a time when, as Freeh writes, the president's "scandals . . . never ended."

To understand the depth of Freeh's antipathy, consider this one anecdote: Sometime after he resigned in 2001, Freeh ran into the former...more
Ann Amadori
Interesting look at what went on behind the scenes during Louis Freeh's time as FBI Director - investigating Bill Clinton for the Whitewater deals, finding spies like Bob Hanssen and domestic bombers like Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber, & Walter Leroy Moody. A look at overseas terrorist attacks on the US at Khobar Towers, the Cole, and others. Also a backward look at Ruby Ridge and Waco. As well as his time as a judge and prosecutor and FBI agent. I learned, as I thought was the case, that t...more
Brian
Louis Freeh provides an interesting look into the world of the FBI. The book takes an overview approach with specific vignettes of his time at the organization and how it evolved (or lack thereof) over the years. Freeh was director during a turbulent time when trust in the FBI was at a low and worked one of the toughest cases in its history with the Kohbar towers investigation. This investigation is the focal point of the book and done very well. He also covers a lot with the Bob Hansen treason...more
Michelle
This book read like a children's book after reading Charlie Wilson's War. This book didn't go into detail about any of the cases during Freeh's tenure; it was more of an overview of the cases during his time as head of the FBI. I didn't know much about him before reading this book and he seems like a good guy, but there was tons of material he could have written about instead of talking about how his jogging routine and commute changed and lavishing praise on everyone he worked with. Bryan Burro...more
Samantha
Mr. Freeh really went after President Clinton in this book. I wish he would have provided a lot more details about this. I understand that he had to investigate him and how terrible it was that the president put him in that situation but it seemed way more personal. He highlights good things that happened in his time at the FBI but didn't really get into it too much. He got into things did wrong even less. I just expected so much more from him. He appears arrogant on TV and does in the book also...more
Rick
Pretty good book (actually I listened to this one). Freeh was the FBI director for about 8 years in the 1990s, almost entirely during the Clinton administration. He gives an interesting account of the war on terror pre-9/11, including the attacks on Kovar towers around 1996. Freeh definitely isn't complementary of the Clinton administration. It's an interesting read for anyone looking for info on the government's failures in preventing the 9/11 attacks. As critical as Freeh is of Clinton, he mak...more
Ryan
This memoir reflects the outstanding career of Louis Freeh, who was appointed the top cop position during the Clinton administration. Freeh is a man of high integrety and his actions and decisions during his time as the Director showed this. At times it seems like he is tooting his own horn. However, I don't think that him doing this is gloating. I believe that he is simply defending his actions in the face of criticism.
Freeh's decisions during tough investigations show how to run an agency wit...more
Abram
I really enjoyed this book. Its hard to say exactly why but, it might be in part because of admiration for Judge Freeh. It was refreshing to see someone who was true to moral values and principles rise to an office of high standing in our government with no other motive than to do a good job. It doesn't read like an action novel but if you stick it out you will be rewarded by admarition for the service Louis Freeh gave to our Country.
Karol
Louis Freeh gives an informative and fascinating account of what it's like to be the director of the FBI. Most fascinating to me was the insight on why Mr. Freeh took some of the positions he did, and why he followed some of the methods he chose. He certainly dealt with a multitude of issues during his service for the FBI, from organized crime, to domestic terrorists, to presidential scandal. Well worth the time to read!
Derek
Very interesting point of view from the former head of the FBI. Unfortunately, it felt like there was a lot of information that he wasn't able to tell us, but there was some candor on his part on how he felt towards President Clinton and his leadership ability (or possible lack thereof). I came away with the feeling that Louis Freeh is a very principled man who wanted to get some things off his chest.
Nuke
Jul 19, 2007 Nuke marked it as to-read
I gave this book as a birthday gift to ... errrr ... well, someone close at heart. Why? Because it's close to what he's doing.
But I have to ask him what he thought about the book before I have anything to say here. The only thing I can say after scan read the book is that it was a Pretty interesting book, really. Reveals many stories behind a closed FBI door.
Christopher Giesen
The FBI is one of my favorite subjects to read about so this novel was an easy choice. I found it informative and well written but at times it seemed self serving. Nonetheless I enjoyed the novel and was able to see some interesting views on major political and historical events through the perspective of a man who directed the FBI through these times.
Hollydabchotmail.com
Read many parts of this book and enjoyed the read. It seemed somewhat one-sided, but very interesting.
Discusses Khobar Towers, the fact that Louis Freeh did not care for Pres. Clinton and issues he had to deal with during Clinton's presidency. Also discusses the Mafia and issues leading up to 911 and the War on Terror.
Peter
The choice of books I read is mostly limited to the resale section of the library. This is another fine selection from the resale section. The book is an easy to read and interesting recap of the recent times, especially hearing about President Clinton's legal issues from the POV of "The Man". : )
Jeremiah
An interesting if unbalanced report of what it was like to be the head of the FBI during the Clinton administration and the early years of the W Bush administration. After Freeh's account, my impression is that Freeh was the exactly wrong person to be running the FBI in a post Cold War world.
Terry
This book is a very interesting perspective on the national law enforcement agency actions during a very significant period in US history. Freeh brings a professionalism and nonpartisan perspective that is admirable. I found the book well worth the reading!
John Williams
This could have been a great book, the stories are there. I think Freeh wrote it himself, or I hope that he did since the author has almost zero ability to write a good story. Freeh could maybe write memoes and this been is one.
Rebecca
I just finished this book but it took me a loooong time to get through. I thought that the history parts were interesting, but it was really just Freeh giving shout outs to all of his poilitcal friends. Boooring...
Joe Wisniewski
A very personable read. While the title implies political considerations, those accusations of a Clinton WH simply not interested in intelligence matters has been borne out in other biographies.
Patrick Daday
In-depth look on the past FBI Director, Louis Freeh and the struggles he went through dealing with President Clinton, US crisis' and finding time to spend with his family.
Ryan
Haven't actually finished but very neat to have a look at the Director of the FBI's day to day duties. More powerful than you'd expect.
Bill
It explains a lot regarding the FBI and the Clinton administration.
Joan
Very good book Enjoyed reading about the inner workings of the FBI
Jo
interesting insight into the fbi during the Clinton Admininstration.
Bob
Ah, listed to these tapes, didn't read the book.
Kim
Eh! It was okay, but certainly not riveting.
Nick Searles
An interesting look into the FBI
Katherine684
Well written
  • Does America Need a Foreign Policy?: Toward a Diplomacy for the 21st Century
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • Cold Zero: Inside the FBI  Hostage Rescue Team
  • The Bureau and the Mole: The Unmasking of Robert Philip Hanssen, the Most Dangerous Double Agent in FBI History
  • Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known
  • The Commanders
  • Memo to the President Elect LP: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman & the Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1941-45
  • The Puritan Dilemma: The Story of John Winthrop
  • American Soldier
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land
  • The Politics of Truth: Inside the Lies That Put the White House on Trial and Betrayed My Wife's CIA Identity
  • The Fall of Baghdad
  • The Night Stalkers
  • Bushworld
  • What Cops Know
  • All Things at Once
My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror