The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  16 reviews
At last - all the tricks of the top recording engineers revealed at mixdown! With this book you'll learn: the evolution of mixing; mixing styles such as L.A. vs. New York vs. London; the six elements of a mix; rules for arrangements; and from where to build your mix.
Published May 1st 2006 by Thomson Course Technology (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

nick messitte
i know it's not fiction, but this book is thoroughly useful, and the interviews with various mixing technicians couldn't be more helpful. It's amazing--you can read about how a famous engineer mixed the strings on a whitney houston album (as in, how he panned the strings, the amount of delay added to make it stereo, the model of reverb tank used, the specific compressor added to the mix buss), and then you can listen to the song and actually hear what he's talking about!!! It's a wonderful first...more
Marlon
Thanks to this book, my indie rock band, an isotope, was able to independently and successfully produce a six track EP a few months ago.

If you know nothing to very little about mixing sound in a recording studio environment, then this is the book for you. It explains things specifically like, how the mics should be set up on the amps, to figuring out what frequencies to boost in order to add more "punch" to the kick drum, to tweaking the reverb to make a single guitar sound fuller.
John
Such a genius idea: interview a group of professionals and then edit together a book of their responses grouped by subject. Then devote an entire chapter to each person and you have a bit of essential reading for anyone with their eyes on the industry.
Fabio
Jun 09, 2008 Fabio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
A valuable tool for the novice/amateur engineer. As there's no real way to learn mixing other than experience and mentoring, this book puts in you hands tons of suggestions, opinions, best practices and tricks from those who do it to earn a living, including many "golden ears" from past and present days. No magic spells, but a lot of rules of thumb to use as a starting point to get better results.
Roy
Apr 13, 2008 Roy added it
This book is full of good advice from pro engineers about how to achieve certain results in a recording studio. Since I have owned and operated a recording studio, and worked in many others over the years, I find the advice and information in this book invaluable for my daily projects. I only hope to one day understand or have half the skill of these renowned engineers interviewed in this book!
Ясен В.
I had higher expectations for this book. 2.8/5

There is a lot of great information in it, but sometimes the text goes into too much detail, hiding the forest for the trees.

Some chunks of the interviews that take up most of the second half of the book appear in the first half as well.
Josiah
Aug 01, 2010 Josiah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
decent overview of main categories and techniques. does a good job of simplifying the whole system, though some might want for a more holisitic guide.
Mike
Good place to start, not enough practical application for my money. Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki is sure to be the industry standard.

Mark
Great Book! It gives you a foundation in the mixing styles of some of the great production artists of this past century.
Chris
a good starting point, but not a crutch by any stretch. it's far too general to ever use as a reference manual.
Nathan Mendel
Interviews were very cool. Tips were at least moderately useful. May become more useful as I gain experience.
Alex Harris
Consistently useful reference guide. If it ever run out of new things to try I just flick through this!
Joe
this thing is aptly named! this is the recording engineers bible. it really is!
Franklin Taggart
Excellent resource. Will keep on hand for much future reference.
Michael Castaneda
I bought this in 2004 and I'm just using it now.
Craig?
my new bible.
Muhamad Najib
Muhamad Najib marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Mikal Caober
Mikal Caober is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Ki
Ki marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Katelin
Katelin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Vitalis Chika
Vitalis Chika marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Octavian Ghiuritan
Octavian Ghiuritan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Sean Bishop
Sean Bishop marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
The Recording Engineer's Handbook The Mastering Engineer's Handbook Music 3.0: A Survival Guide for Making Music in the Internet Age The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, 3rd ed. The Music Producer's Handbook (Music Pro Guides)