Start by marking “The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition” as Want to Read:
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  17 reviews
At last - all the tricks of the top recording engineers revealed at mixdown! With this book you'll learn: the evolution of mixing; mixing styles such as L.A. vs. New York vs. London; the six elements of a mix; rules for arrangements; and from where to build your mix.
Published May 1st 2006 by Thomson Course Technology (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition

nick messitte
i know it's not fiction, but this book is thoroughly useful, and the interviews with various mixing technicians couldn't be more helpful. It's amazing--you can read about how a famous engineer mixed the strings on a whitney houston album (as in, how he panned the strings, the amount of delay added to make it stereo, the model of reverb tank used, the specific compressor added to the mix buss), and then you can listen to the song and actually hear what he's talking about!!! It's a wonderful first ...more
Thanks to this book, my indie rock band, an isotope, was able to independently and successfully produce a six track EP a few months ago.

If you know nothing to very little about mixing sound in a recording studio environment, then this is the book for you. It explains things specifically like, how the mics should be set up on the amps, to figuring out what frequencies to boost in order to add more "punch" to the kick drum, to tweaking the reverb to make a single guitar sound fuller.
Such a genius idea: interview a group of professionals and then edit together a book of their responses grouped by subject. Then devote an entire chapter to each person and you have a bit of essential reading for anyone with their eyes on the industry.
Mikael Lind
Some really good tips here, but often, I miss a more general approach. The book sometimes goes into extreme details to help the reader get the best sound out of the snare drum, but then when it comes to the piano, it tells you nothing more than that with this and this EQ, you can get a similar sound as Elton John. I was hoping for a bit more than that!

This book could work very well for you if you're mixing typical best-selling pop/rock music. If you're mixing the new Radiohead, Sigur Rós, Brian
Morgan Dusatko
This is the best book I've ever read.
Jun 09, 2008 Fabio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
A valuable tool for the novice/amateur engineer. As there's no real way to learn mixing other than experience and mentoring, this book puts in you hands tons of suggestions, opinions, best practices and tricks from those who do it to earn a living, including many "golden ears" from past and present days. No magic spells, but a lot of rules of thumb to use as a starting point to get better results.
Apr 13, 2008 Roy added it
This book is full of good advice from pro engineers about how to achieve certain results in a recording studio. Since I have owned and operated a recording studio, and worked in many others over the years, I find the advice and information in this book invaluable for my daily projects. I only hope to one day understand or have half the skill of these renowned engineers interviewed in this book!
Ясен В.
I had higher expectations for this book. 2.8/5

There is a lot of great information in it, but sometimes the text goes into too much detail, hiding the forest for the trees.

Some chunks of the interviews that take up most of the second half of the book appear in the first half as well.
Good place to start, not enough practical application for my money. Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki is sure to be the industry standard.

Great Book! It gives you a foundation in the mixing styles of some of the great production artists of this past century.
a good starting point, but not a crutch by any stretch. it's far too general to ever use as a reference manual.
Nathan Mendel
Interviews were very cool. Tips were at least moderately useful. May become more useful as I gain experience.
Alex Harris
Consistently useful reference guide. If it ever run out of new things to try I just flick through this!
this thing is aptly named! this is the recording engineers bible. it really is!
Franklin Taggart
Excellent resource. Will keep on hand for much future reference.
Michael Castaneda
I bought this in 2004 and I'm just using it now.
my new bible.
Ksunya marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Lalit Mohan
Lalit Mohan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Tim added it
Oct 04, 2015
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Carlos marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
MICHAEL marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Austin Matthews
Austin Matthews marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Thamer Amin
Thamer Amin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Finhara marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Steph T.
Steph T. marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
  • Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking [With CD]
  • Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond
  • The Computer Music Tutorial
  • All You Need to Know about the Music Business
  • Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain, and Repair Electrics and Acoustics
  • Sweet Anticipation: Music and the Psychology of Expectation
  • Basic Music Theory
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • Opera for Dummies
The Recording Engineer's Handbook The Mastering Engineer's Handbook Music 3.0: A Survival Guide for Making Music in the Internet Age The Music Producer's Handbook (Music Pro Guides) How to Make Your Band Sound Great (Music Pro Guides)