Start by marking “Book Club (Unshelved, #4)” as Want to Read:
Book Club (Unshelved, #4)

Book Club (Unshelved #4)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
What happens in the library stays in the library. But oh, what happens in the library! Dewey has a book club, and you do not talk about Book Club. Colleen has a blog, but she doesn't know everyone can read it. Someone gave vegan Tamara a membership to the ham-of-the-month-club. And Merv reserved every copy of the new Harry Potter for purposes nefarious. This fourth Unshelv ...more
Published June 22nd 2006 by Overdue Media (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Book Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Club

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonHomicidal Psycho Jungle Cat by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonIt's a Magical World by Bill WattersonScientific Progress Goes "Boink" by Bill Watterson
Comics! Comics! Graphic Novels!
54th out of 275 books — 39 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Webcomics
218th out of 276 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jul 08, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
What I like about the series so far, is the characters and art style. Oh and the setting especially. Another good volume.
Tamara
Feb 23, 2009 Tamara rated it really liked it
Strange and eerie that there is a character in this comic strip collection who is a vegetarian librarian named Tamara who doesn't like to take days off. Who's the informant?

Kristin, they've been spying on you, too. There's a strip about answering reference questions in the bathroom.

Favorite Quotes:

Patron: Where...
The Shusher: Shhhhh!
Patron: But I...
The Shusher: This is a library! Quiet!!
Patron: How am I supposed to ask for help?
The Shusher: American Sign Language. Learn it. Use it.

Librarian: T
Charles
Feb 04, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it
Libraries are centers where great learning is encouraged, nurtured and stored. The people that work there are generally dedicated to their craft and helping patrons in their search for the references they need. With the advent of computers and since for some of the public their only access to the internet is through libraries, librarians now find it necessary to be a bit of a technocrat as well.
This collection of comics features the employees of a public library, how they interact with each o
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
May 28, 2015 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it really liked it
I am reading these out of order partly because it doesn't matter, but mostly because that is how they are arriving via interlibrary loan.

Once again, the Unshelved creators have hit close to home on almost all aspects of my work life. In fact, I had a patron just yesterday yell at me for technology the library uses. When I got home and read certain panels in this book, I laughed twice as hard because I had just experienced the same situation myself. I can't wait for the rest of the volumes!

Also,
YoSafBridg
Nov 30, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: public librarians
Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum have come out with their fourth collection of the Unshelved webcomic Book Club (which covers February 16, 2005 through February 19, 2006 for those of you keeping track). If you are not familiar with this series, it is absolutely required reading for any public libraries, recommended reading for anyone in public service, but i believe everyone should be able to appreciate the humor of the situation--a surprisingly accurate depiction of life in a public library.
This is
Susan
Apr 03, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, cartoons
This collection of library-oriented cartoons features a section with full-color, full-page book reviews by different characters. There's also Bizmar Unshelved, wherein Barnes and Ambaum meet the challenge of doing a comic strip featuring a Bunny, an Insect, a Zombie, a Monkey, an Alien, and a Robot. It doesn't have too much to do with the library, but you can't have everything.
Molly
Oct 11, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Fun and certainly relatable! I enjoyed this very much as some light, chill-out reading, and am debating copying a few to put on my desk as a way of laughing at some of the more eye-roll moments of my job.

It is a bit niche, but would still be accessible to non-library workers. The book reviews are perhaps my favorite part.
Gabrielle
Dec 15, 2014 Gabrielle rated it did not like it
The thing is I just don't like comic strips. And this was comic strips about working in a library, which conceptually I was interested in but in the end I felt like it was a bit too niche for me. The best part were the strips on specific books like coralline and the tipping point.
Rebekah
May 23, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, 2015
Just when I thought Unshelved couldn't get any better it does. Dewey starts fight...I mean book club. Grandma is causing mischief. And having worked a Harry Potter release (former Borders Employee here) I found Merv's Harry Potter antics to be hilarious. Bring on the next edition. I'm ready for more.
Westcoast_girl
Jul 08, 2016 Westcoast_girl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: book lovers, humourists, librarians, library lovers
When I first saw this book I couldn't believe someone could write an entire book just on a library, not to mention a series of books.

After, reading this, the answer seems clear: libraries are a place that illustrate all of life's funny and quirky people, strange happenings, interesting musings, and funny idiosyncrasies.

Every character is unique and interesting. Every strip is hilarious and relateable. I found myself repeatedly groaning and giggling at situations Dewey has to face that I have se
Peacegal
Jan 22, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
3.5 stars-- Like other "workplace humor" books, Unshelved is perhaps best enjoyed by those of us who work in public libraries. How else can we enjoy the public internet obsessions, the dirty old patrons, the hobos who find new and ever more unusual places to snooze? I've you've ever worked in a public library, you can, no doubt, come up with countless Unshelved strips of your own.

Dampening my enthusiasm for the material is the poor quality of the illustrations. There's no consistency in characte
Bookkitten
Jun 23, 2016 Bookkitten rated it it was amazing
I would write a review, but, first rule of the Book Club: "Dont talk about the Book Club." =^_^=V ...more
Amanda Sheley
Jan 24, 2015 Amanda Sheley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
story of my life. I love seeing the humor of my job, and that I am not the only one!
Jessa Franco
Jan 12, 2014 Jessa Franco rated it really liked it
A continuation of the usual content, Book Club has more stories from Mallville Public Library. Barnes and Ambaum added something new with this novel: multinpanel and color comics that book talk other works. The characters are trying to pitch the book to their patrons or each other. It was a great way to discover new books, but much of the humor only made sense if you had already read it.
Jericho Eames
Jan 02, 2015 Jericho Eames rated it really liked it
it makes me wanna be a librarian and that's a good thing!
Kerrikoala
May 25, 2015 Kerrikoala rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5? It just wasn't my favorite volume.
Tracey
Jun 16, 2014 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
comic strips/libraries.
Erin
I LOVED Dewey's Zombie Storytime!
Katie
Feb 28, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians
Recommended to Katie by: my co-workers
This "Unshelved" collection I can't relate to as much, (other then being a children's librarian/clerk) since I am usually working during most times when our local book clubs meet. But, I love to read, so if I could I would definatly join one. I love Dewey's ideas to get teens interrested in joining their own Book Club, comparing it to the movie titled "Fight Club" so surly teens think it's secretive, exclusive, and forbidden, which in their mind means cool. Pure genius! Great funny stuff! :0)
Ryan Werner
Oct 05, 2015 Ryan Werner rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is pretty much Dilbert for people who work at a library. It was surprisingly funny for such a niche concept. Not the funniest thing I'd ever read, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to you if you get most of your humor from something like MMA compilations on YouTube or old VHS dubs of Black Adder or something, but for a light, silly read in the vein of newspaper strips, this was worth reading in chunks when I was bored of the windier parts of Jimmy Corrigan.
Clodjee
May 20, 2013 Clodjee rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume includes the usual strips, plus some Library conference tips, but the most interesting feature is the dozens of full-color “Unshelved Book Club” book talks where the library staff introduce on each page a new book. A kind of weekly book review, in color and often hilarious!

For more please check what I wrote for volume 1: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Or read my full comment on: http://clodjee.blogspot.ca/2008/11/un...
thebaronessofbooks
I really liked this volume of Unshelved, the pop culture references, though dated by a decade, were still just as funny. But what I really liked and thought was clever were how the artist and writer started to put in full page book recommendations in comic form.
Several were books I'd already read and enjoyed, and others one's that have really piqued my interest. I'm glad they kept the book recommendations every Friday on their webcomic site.
Heidi
Adventures and laughs continue! I'm finding references to other comics (some I know and some I don't) rather interesting. Older brother from FoxTrot showed up a book or two ago, as did Dilbert. I suppose the comic world is one I am not a part of, but I'm glad they have a world as we librarians have one. And that Unshelved brings the two together! :-) Loved the part of Dewey starting a book club, since I started 2 this month. We'll see how they go.
Riley Johnson
Dec 30, 2014 Riley Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-librarian, comics
Meredith
Jan 15, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, comics
The Mallville library gang continues to delight. I also really love this original run of Book Club strips.
Margaret Sankey
Jan 21, 2013 Margaret Sankey rated it liked it
Print compilation of a web comic devoted to the doings of a fictional suburban library--the seven stages of falling in love with an author, the child riot when new Harry Potters were released, Ned the Naked Guy, odd things in the book drop, what happens when elderly patrons discover Craigslist, cutthroat bingo games and the politics of the Friends of the Library.
Hannah
Oct 29, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite collection of strips so far. Dewey creates a book club unsurprisingly similar to "Fight Club," and all of the librarians give their synopses and recommendations of books to patrons of the Mallville library. This is a great way to highlight the personalities of each librarian based on their reading preferences and comments on the books.
Duane
Jan 21, 2009 Duane rated it it was ok
This is my third book in the series that I've read and I'm still waiting for it to reach it's potential. The humor in this book would only appeal to librarians and then even I simply don't enjoy them. The drawing style is very elementary. I just don't get the attraction to this strip.
The other John
Oct 06, 2007 The other John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, braincandy
This is the fourth collection of strips from Unshelved, the online comic about the Mallville Public Library. What can I say? As a geeky, fan-boyish bookworm it targets my demographic exactly. And it's funny. So, I want a copy on my shelf so I can read it again and again and again.
Marci
Dec 14, 2007 Marci rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Angela
Shelves: readcomicbooks
This is a great collection f comic strips from the "Unshelved" series. It's great!!!! The scary part is how real some of the interactions with the customers on the page are to real life work in the public library sector.
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Sinfest, Vol. 1
  • Larry in Wonderland: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Garfield Minus Garfield
  • Bookhunter
  • Alternative Zits (Zits Treasury, #6)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Liberty Meadows, Volume 2: Creature Comforts
  • Simon's Cat: Feed Me!
I'm the artist of Unshelved and write Not Invented Here. I mostly read sci-fi, history, biography, science, and mainstream comics. Whenever went wrong in the past and resulted in an alternate dystopian present, I'm a happy man. I have a small bookcase of favorite books that I re-read every year or two.
More about Bill Barnes...

Unshelved (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Unshelved (Unshelved, #1)
  • What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2)
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Read Responsibly (Unshelved, #5)