Book Club (Unshelved, #4)

Book Club (Unshelved #4)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  35 reviews
What happens in the library stays in the library. But oh, what happens in the library! Dewey has a book club, and you do not talk about Book Club. Colleen has a blog, but she doesn't know everyone can read it. Someone gave vegan Tamara a membership to the ham-of-the-month-club. And Merv reserved every copy of the new Harry Potter for purposes nefarious. This fourth Unshelv...more
Published June 22nd 2006 by Overdue Media (first published 2006)

Tamara
Strange and eerie that there is a character in this comic strip collection who is a vegetarian librarian named Tamara who doesn't like to take days off. Who's the informant?

Kristin, they've been spying on you, too. There's a strip about answering reference questions in the bathroom.

Favorite Quotes:

Patron: Where...
The Shusher: Shhhhh!
Patron: But I...
The Shusher: This is a library! Quiet!!
Patron: How am I supposed to ask for help?
The Shusher: American Sign Language. Learn it. Use it.

Librarian: T...more
Cheryl in CC NV
How perfect - a comic strip that takes place in a library! I don't know about the others in the series, but this one at least has a coupla doz. Book Talk pages (in which the characters wittily make recommendations to us - see for example their take on Bryson's A Walk in the Woods). The only reason it's not five stars for me is that it's not lol funny. But I'm definitely seeking out the rest of the series.
YoSafBridg
Nov 30, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: public librarians
Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum have come out with their fourth collection of the Unshelved webcomic Book Club (which covers February 16, 2005 through February 19, 2006 for those of you keeping track). If you are not familiar with this series, it is absolutely required reading for any public libraries, recommended reading for anyone in public service, but i believe everyone should be able to appreciate the humor of the situation--a surprisingly accurate depiction of life in a public library.
This is...more
Westcoast_girl
Jul 19, 2013 Westcoast_girl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book lovers, humourists, librarians, library lovers
When I first saw this book I couldn't believe someone could write an entire book just on a library, not to mention a series of books.

After, reading this, the answer seems clear: libraries are a place that illustrate all of life's funny and quirky people, strange happenings, interesting musings, and funny idiosyncrasies.

Every character is unique and interesting. Every strip is hilarious and relateable. I found myself repeatedly groaning and giggling at situations Dewey has to face that I have se...more
Peacegal
3.5 stars-- Like other "workplace humor" books, Unshelved is perhaps best enjoyed by those of us who work in public libraries. How else can we enjoy the public internet obsessions, the dirty old patrons, the hobos who find new and ever more unusual places to snooze? I've you've ever worked in a public library, you can, no doubt, come up with countless Unshelved strips of your own.

Dampening my enthusiasm for the material is the poor quality of the illustrations. There's no consistency in characte...more
Jessica Franco
A continuation of the usual content, Book Club has more stories from Mallville Public Library. Barnes and Ambaum added something new with this novel: multinpanel and color comics that book talk other works. The characters are trying to pitch the book to their patrons or each other. It was a great way to discover new books, but much of the humor only made sense if you had already read it.
Tracey
Jun 16, 2014 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
comic strips/libraries.
Katie
Feb 28, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians
Recommended to Katie by: my co-workers
This "Unshelved" collection I can't relate to as much, (other then being a children's librarian/clerk) since I am usually working during most times when our local book clubs meet. But, I love to read, so if I could I would definatly join one. I love Dewey's ideas to get teens interrested in joining their own Book Club, comparing it to the movie titled "Fight Club" so surly teens think it's secretive, exclusive, and forbidden, which in their mind means cool. Pure genius! Great funny stuff! :0)
Clodjee
This volume includes the usual strips, plus some Library conference tips, but the most interesting feature is the dozens of full-color “Unshelved Book Club” book talks where the library staff introduce on each page a new book. A kind of weekly book review, in color and often hilarious!

For more please check what I wrote for volume 1: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/84...

Or read my full comment on: http://clodjee.blogspot.ca/2008/11/un...
Heidi
Adventures and laughs continue! I'm finding references to other comics (some I know and some I don't) rather interesting. Older brother from FoxTrot showed up a book or two ago, as did Dilbert. I suppose the comic world is one I am not a part of, but I'm glad they have a world as we librarians have one. And that Unshelved brings the two together! :-) Loved the part of Dewey starting a book club, since I started 2 this month. We'll see how they go.
Meredith
The Mallville library gang continues to delight. I also really love this original run of Book Club strips.
Margaret Sankey
Print compilation of a web comic devoted to the doings of a fictional suburban library--the seven stages of falling in love with an author, the child riot when new Harry Potters were released, Ned the Naked Guy, odd things in the book drop, what happens when elderly patrons discover Craigslist, cutthroat bingo games and the politics of the Friends of the Library.
Hannah
This was my favorite collection of strips so far. Dewey creates a book club unsurprisingly similar to "Fight Club," and all of the librarians give their synopses and recommendations of books to patrons of the Mallville library. This is a great way to highlight the personalities of each librarian based on their reading preferences and comments on the books.
Duane
This is my third book in the series that I've read and I'm still waiting for it to reach it's potential. The humor in this book would only appeal to librarians and then even I simply don't enjoy them. The drawing style is very elementary. I just don't get the attraction to this strip.
The other John
This is the fourth collection of strips from Unshelved, the online comic about the Mallville Public Library. What can I say? As a geeky, fan-boyish bookworm it targets my demographic exactly. And it's funny. So, I want a copy on my shelf so I can read it again and again and again.
Marci
Dec 14, 2007 Marci rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angela
Shelves: readcomicbooks
This is a great collection f comic strips from the "Unshelved" series. It's great!!!! The scary part is how real some of the interactions with the customers on the page are to real life work in the public library sector.
Kristin
I love Unshelved! Another reviewer mentioned how realistic some of the patron/staff scenarios are. I'm not sure whether this is a funny or sad thing...but still so very true. In any case, I highly recommend this!
Stacey
There is a great section in the middle- comic book talks. Also an excellent rendition of "Little Zombie Chew-Chew" to the tune of "Little Bunny Foo Foo." Read the series...you will laugh.
Miss Jessica
I bought this used from Amazon because my library didn't have a copy. It was $0.98 so it didn't come in the best condition, however I just noticed that it's signed. Cool.
Stephanie
This graphic novel is a really funny look at working in a library, with the book club's overview of a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction books. Lots of fun.
David Kealii
The hilarity continues at the Mallville Public Library in this collection. This is the kind of cathartic humor that anyone who works in retail/customer service can use.
Rebecca Ann
Reading this was just like a day at the library, hilarious in an understated way. I can't say I laughed out loud, but I smirked all the way through it.
Anne Barwell
This contains strips from the online comic 'Unshelved'. It's great library/book humour and one I'd highly recommend.
Jesse
Amazing as always! I loved, loved, loved the addition of mini booktalks for different books. Very original.
Kit
With full-color book recommendations and the great cast of the Mallville Public Library, you can't go wrong.
Ryan
May 19, 2009 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: laugher, ya
You can't beat Dewey and his sidekicks. If you need some librarical humor, this is the place to go.
Shari
I met the authors at Timberland Regional Library's All Staff Day 2008. They autographed this book.
Liz
Just as good! But Dewey's skinny little nose is now nowhere in existence. How I loved that nose...
Aisha Mahmoud
Just brilliant! Hilarious! If you work in a library you will love it!!!
Treasure
The first rule of book club is never to talk about book club, so I won't. :)
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Garfield Minus Garfield
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 10: Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse (Girl Genius #10)
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World
  • Bookhunter
  • Random Acts of Management (Dilbert, #15)
I'm the artist of Unshelved and write Not Invented Here. I mostly read sci-fi, history, biography, science, and mainstream comics. Whenever went wrong in the past and resulted in an alternate dystopian present, I'm a happy man. I have a small bookcase of favorite books that I re-read every year or two.
More about Bill Barnes...
Unshelved (Unshelved, #1) What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2) Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3) Read Responsibly (Unshelved, #5) Frequently Asked Questions (Unshelved, #6)