Pilgrims Upon the Earth: A Novel

Pilgrims Upon the Earth: A Novel

2.79 of 5 stars 2.79  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Brad Land’s acclaimed memoir, Goat, was a riveting, brilliantly crafted account of masculinity, violence, and brotherhood. Now here is Land’s remarkable fiction debut, a haunting novel of a stark, troubled coming-of-age.

At fifteen, Terry Webber hovers uneasily between child and man. His father, the second-shift foreman at the textile plant in their South Carolina town, is...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Random House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrims Upon the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrims Upon the Earth

Matt
This was a weird read, but a really pleasing one. I want to write more about it, for my webpage, so look for something like that someday, perhaps. It'll be all about what is happening here with the voice, which is really foregrounded here, and which doesn't quite seem the exclusive possession of the narrator/ focalizer. In other words, it sort of comes from outside the book and presses down on the characters, the story, etc, not always in service of them. But still, pretty killer, and ballsy.

Als...more
Sheree
Like other reviewers stated, this book is difficult to read due to the author's unusual writing style. I had to read almost every chapter twice before it made any kind of sense.

I did finish the book, but it was waaaay too much work and I skipped several parts because it was too angsty for me. Reading this book reminded me of reading a teenager's overwrought diary.
Courtney
This probably isn't a fair review as I barely started reading this book before I gave up on it. The author has a very weird way of writing - several times, I read an entire chapter and then thought to myself, "What in the world is going on?" I guess I didn't have the patience for this book.
Nicole
Or I should say tried to read. Just didn't hold my interest, which is a shame because his memoir was so good.
Amy
Oct 16, 2009 Amy added it
fan of brad land
Erin Melugin
Erin Melugin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Sebastian Junior
Sebastian Junior is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Peter Biello
Peter Biello marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Cherise
Cherise marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2012
Lucille Almazan
Lucille Almazan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011
Jordan Martin
Jordan Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2011
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2010
Melon109
Melon109 marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2010
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
May 08, 2009
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2008
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 04, 2008
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 04, 2008
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2008