Start by marking “Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters” as Want to Read:
Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters

Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Isaac Asimov was one of the most prolific authors of our time. When he diedin 1992 at the age of seventy-two, he had published more than 470 books innearly every category of fiction and nonfiction. Asimov was a prodigiouscorrespondent as well as a prolific author. During his professional career hereceived more than one hundred thousand letters, over ninety thousand of whic...more
Published December 1st 1996 by Main Street Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Yours, Isaac Asimov, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yours, Isaac Asimov

Nisah Haron
Jan 08, 2011 Nisah Haron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all writer's & writers-to-be
Recommended to Nisah by: Juliana Es
Frankly, I have only heard of Asimov and never read any of his science fiction work. (I read fantasy and not much s.f.). This book is so delightful as I love any book that would reveal the writing process of a writer (be it the whole process or partly thereof).

Asimov is definitely witty, and this explains why this book is funny and yet contains a lot of wisdom as well as good writing tips for a writer like me. I envy his speed of typing (90-words-per-minute on a manual typewriter!). I can only...more
Denis
This was a great insight to Asimov's life. A friend of mine had a friend who was a huge fan of Asimov. He happened to be in New York (late eighties/early nineties) and had the gumption to go to Asimov's address and ask the security guy there to speak to his idol. The man said he would ask. To my his surprise, Asimov agreed to come down and meet him in the lobby. They then spoke for about twenty minutes. Cool or cool?

This book of compiled letters written to Asimov shows exactly the sort of attent...more
Juliana Es
A delightful compilation of letters. I really enjoy reading them, and may read the letters again and again for inspiration.
Magda
I was sad to find out his views on certain things, but still able to enjoy his funny stories, jokes, and self-references.
Phil
Isaac Asimov was the most prolific writer of all time. That is no more clearly seen that in his letters, which in addition to his 500 or so books, thousands of essays, number in the tens of thousands. His brother, Stanley, does a great job in sifting through, condensing, and presenting just a small portion of that verbose correspondence for the perusal of the casual reader. Not only does one acquire a feeling for the real, unassuming persona of Isaac Asimov, but one also understands what was imp...more
Jason
This book is a total delight. Shortly after Isaac Asimov died his brother Stanley began sorting through his exorbitant amount of personal correspondence. Asimov had thousands upon thousands of letters he had donated to his archives at Boston University. Well it took Stanley nearly two years to read through them but he has produced some true gems for our personal enjoyment.

The book itself is divided into segments or headings, which contain letters dealing with the heading's subject. For instance...more
Joshua
I walked into a little bookstore in northern Vermont and saw a bin labelled "Free Books." How could I resist? I wasn't expecting much but then the unmistakable sideburns caught my eye. Beneath the cover photo it read "Bound Galley - Not For Sale" "An Uncorrected Proof" What a find! This will sit on the edge of the vanity in the bathroom. A place of honor in our home. It will take months to read letter by letter.
Mike
A bit dry, but interesting. A collection of correspondence between Asimov and his fans, and some famous people too. this helps to give you a glimpse of the kind of man he was.
Will Slade
I'm biased. I like Asimov's nonfiction a lot. What was surprising was that I found him a very positive example. Cocky-funny, even. A keeper.
Andrew Hawnt
A beautiful insight into one of the greatest minds ever to grace our planet. An absolutely blissful book that I didn't want to finish.
Sharen
An interesting peek into Asimov's mind. Recommended for any Asimov fan.
The Hendoman
really only for hardcore asimovians, and after you've read the other biogs...
Joe Faust
A peek into the master’s life, through his letters.
Utukwa Bemshima
Utukwa Bemshima marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Sandra Contreras
Sandra Contreras marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kevin Sison
Kevin Sison marked it as to-read
Hershel Shipman
Hershel Shipman marked it as to-read
Alexei
Alexei marked it as to-read
Raghu Meru
Raghu Meru marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Ajit Hira
Ajit Hira marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Mikkel
Mikkel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Thomas White
Thomas White marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)