Start by marking “100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World” as Want to Read:
100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World

100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World

What do George W. Bush, Wal-Mart, Halliburton, gangsta rap, and SUVs have in common? They're all among the hundred ways in which America is screwing up the world. The country that was responsible for many, if not most, of the twentieth century's most important scientific and technological advancements now demonizes its scientists and thinkers in the twenty-first, while dum ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World

Tim
May 13, 2009 Tim added it
Why do they hate us?[return]That's a question many Americans have asked, particularly since Sept. 11, 2001. There is no simple answer. And while John Tirman's 100 Ways America is Screwing Up the World may not be specifically intended to address that question, it certainly is a step toward some comprehension of America's current stature in the court of world opinion.[return]The book is meant to be a liberal response to similarly titled books attacking the left. Tirman's intent, however, was to ...more
Eyun
Feb 21, 2008 Eyun rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone desperate for reading material
I like reading about the destructive nature of western culture. I think if more of us opened our eyes and minds to our global impact, we couldn't help but feel embarrassed and change and thing or two. That is what drew me to this book.

Unfortunately, this book was too brief. It would introduce an idea, give you enough to be concerned, but not enough to have an intelligent conversation about. Not even lead you to further resources. The topic lengths were perfect for the bathroom.

Although I agreed
Aug 18, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Again, my favorite format: SHORT STORIES (kinda).

Each 'chapter' is a way in which America is screwing up the world. So, in a way, a short story. At least it helps the content move along. The problem is that this guy is soooo Regan hating that it felt like half of his issues could all be traced back to one guy. Not that I've ever loved Regan, and this got to be a little much for me about 1/3 of the way thru the book.

The author brings up some interesting points, but hammers them to death most of
Suzanne
Nov 08, 2007 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
If you're already disgusted with American politics and its affect on the planet, you certainly won't be any less disgusted once you read this list. Not surprisingly, W and his daddy factor heavily, along with a list of other past presidents and their flawed and short-sighted politics ("Billary" and Regan included).

Other ways American is screwing up the World (according to the author): Paris Hilton, sloppy Americans, Puritans, and the dumbing-down of our children.

Number 1 on the list is Global W
Kasia
Apr 21, 2014 Kasia rated it it was ok
It was alright. It confirmed, using so many horrifying examples of where America has gone wrong in the past (that I had not been aware of), my dislike of everything America stands for. I will forever be asking myself why a nation of people is so patriotic about this terribly flawed country.
Matt Amott
i'm a big fan of nonfiction and this was pretty real. although the title could be 100 ways people are screwing up the world, i do agree that the u.s. is leading the charge on a lot of these. some are obvious but there are a few in there that really got me thinking.
Belkis
Feb 28, 2009 Belkis rated it it was ok
THis book had notable points but it seemed like it was a constant rant. The Wal-Mart and high fructose corn syrup are two that have stuck in my mind.
Tan Hui Tian
Aug 06, 2016 Tan Hui Tian rated it liked it
In some chapters, rather repetitive due to the format of the writing. But a good read otherwise, and quite a refreshing take on American exceptionalism.
Alik Brundrett
Jun 29, 2008 Alik Brundrett rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic if you like politics, economics, and government affairs. It's intended to appeal to a liberal audience.
Arthur Banos
Arthur Banos rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
C.J. Arellano
C.J. Arellano rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2009
Rajesh Dharmarajan
Rajesh Dharmarajan rated it it was ok
May 06, 2013
Vee41dmb
Vee41dmb rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2012
Tony Richardson
Tony Richardson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Loretta
Loretta rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2007
Sarah German
Sarah German rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2007
Myke
Myke rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2010
SuperBabe
SuperBabe rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2009
Brian Delgado
Brian Delgado rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2008
Stefan
Stefan rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2011
Andrew Murray
Jun 01, 2016 Andrew Murray rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Book 36: Good read indeed worth reading for the foreword alone. Love Howard Zinz
Miro R
Miro R rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Jennifer Hillier
Jennifer Hillier rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
Matt Peters
Matt Peters rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
B.J. Richardson
B.J. Richardson rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2015