Start by marking “Home Land: Ranching and a West That Works” as Want to Read:
Home Land: Ranching and a West That Works

Home Land: Ranching and a West That Works

essays on new approaches to ranching and preserving western lands
Published February 1st 2007 by Johnson Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Land

Tesia
Aug 24, 2012 Tesia rated it it was ok
I had to read this for a rangeland class, and to be perfectly honest I doubt I would have picked it up on my own. The essays and poems do foster memories of American roots and the plight of small family ranchers. While my heart aches to hear how small family ranches are left without resources or options, it is also a one-sided perspective from ranchers. Many of the writers discuss the concept of a "radical center" (finding solutions instead of focusing on winning arguments) in addressing threats ...more
Emily Wortman-wunder
Mar 31, 2008 Emily Wortman-wunder rated it really liked it
Shelves: southwest
Whether this book will accomplish its professed goal, to foster a "West that works" (and in which ranching has a vital role), is uncertain; however, after reading these poems and essays, I hope it does. There are some fantastic essays in here, some old, some new, and this book serves as a source book for some of the best writers on ranching currently at work. There is perhaps a little too much talk of the "radical center" for my taste (what does that term even mean, anyway?), but these pieces ar ...more
Jackie
Oct 10, 2008 Jackie marked it as to-read
Jeff is a co-worker of mine whose passion for the enviroment and the land is without equal. He founded the Rocky Moutain Land Library, a truly amazing collection of books, and he continues to bring cutting edge writers and thinkers into our stores to talk about the land, the world, and how to save it. He's an humble but impressive man. This is an award winning, important book.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Longtime TC staff member and founder of the the Rocky Mountain Land Library Jeff Lee won a Colorado Book Award for "Home Land: Ranching and a West That Works" in the Anthology/Collection category. Jeff co-edited this book along with Laura Pritchett and Richard Knight. Congratulations to them all and epecially to Jeff for a well-deserved honor.
Tuck
Jun 03, 2008 Tuck rated it liked it
all from the ranchers perspective, so real pro meat raising, but some good insights and anecdots about how some places are trying to save ranchs as last open places in face of sprawl/exurban cancer, and eat local/sustainable movement.
Emily
Jan 31, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book. It's a set of essays--really liked the selection of authors, different writing and types of essays. Friend of mine lent this to me.
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Ben Swartzwelter
Ben Swartzwelter rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Meg Schiel
Meg Schiel rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Laura Resau
Laura Resau rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Lindsey Feldman
Lindsey Feldman rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Caroline Gerardo
Caroline Gerardo rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
P645n
P645n is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
Fred Freakoutski
Fred Freakoutski is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2013
Lola Swint
Lola Swint marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 24, 2011
Laura added it
Sep 01, 2010
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2009
Maura
Maura added it
Sep 30, 2007
322051
Laura Pritchett is an American author.
More about Laura Pritchett...