Start by marking “Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01

Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01 (Kodomo no Omocha #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,814 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Take one young actress used to getting her way, add a handful of ruthless bullies, some humorous twists, and a plastic toy hammer, and you've got the recipe for one crazy story Kodocha follows the antics of Sana, a spoiled 11-year-old TV star, and Hayama, a 6th grade Machiavelli who terrorizes both his teachers and his classmates. In their classroom war of wills, Sana and ...more
Published June 11th 2002 by TokyoPop (first published April 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Kodocha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kodocha

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
123rd out of 856 books — 3,222 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
36th out of 284 books — 548 voters

More lists with this book...

Celines
Oct 31, 2008 Celines rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who loves a good manga
Recommended to Celines by: my big sister
Shelves: animes
Kodocha is the book that changed my life forever. This book got me into reading manga and watching anime. This is one of the BEST manga series I have ever read and I've read a lot. It all starts out when Sana and Akito meet in their 6th grade class and Akito is the bully. He's a little bit more than the average bully and Sana is determined to stop him from terrorizing the class... what happens when she learns of Akito's past? Will that change the way she sees him?
READ TO FIND OUT! 8)
Lily Pis
Lo adoro ...more
Stevie
Jun 14, 2015 Stevie rated it it was amazing
I think Kodocha is rather off-putting for many people because it gives off the pretense of being a very childish, superficial manga. However, I have found that this manga incorporates a variety of mature topics, and the beauty lies within the way the protagonist overcomes the harsh realities of the adult-world through a childish lens. One of the most alluring aspects of the manga, for me, is the protagonist. Too often I have found manga protagonist to be too pacifistic and helpless, and have oft ...more
Veronica
Jan 26, 2016 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-manga
Un meraviglioso tuffo nel passato ...more
Madeline
Jul 09, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-judgements
Typical stormy romance between a TV star and a delinquent. The fact that both characters are eleven is apparently not as unsettling in Japan. Whatever, it's a fun series.
Valery Tikappa
Sep 08, 2015 Valery Tikappa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un bellissimo salto nel passato.
Akito è stato il mio primo bookboyfriend. Lo adoro sempre e comunquem
Jossy
This was the first manga i ever read and it is one of my top favorites. It made me cry and laugh so much. It involves a lot of comedy, romance, drama and shojo. I love it. The characters are well created and the plot line is amazing. The anime does not even compare to it. The story grabs the readers attention with its heartbreaking and lovely moments between Hayama and Sana. I still reread it every once in a while.
Demi Purdy
This manga can be considered as a decent introduction for manga as it is more kid friendly than most others. The story centers around eleven-year old Sana Kurata, who is the star of her own variety show called Child's Toy (which is what Kodocha means). However, at school, things are going awry because school bully Akito Hayama is taking control at school by blackmailing his teacher and the coach for making out. Sana decides to get back at him, but fails. Soon, Sana learns about Akito's family an ...more
Kristy Buzbee
Mar 08, 2008 Kristy Buzbee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This series can surprise you with the way it jumps back and forth between very serious and very silly, and how smoothly it makes the change. Sana is a child TV star whose class at school is torn apart - the boys are crazy and the teacher can't control them. Sana decides to take on the "boss monkey" of the boys, Akito. Hilarity (and surprising and touching drama) ensues.
The Crimson Fucker
Jan 23, 2011 The Crimson Fucker rated it it was ok
Shelves:
i didn't like this one! crap! pure crap! in the other hand i really like the author's notes in the side!!! she sounds adorable! the rest is boring as hell! i dont even know what the hell she is trying to say with this story!!! i will not be reading the rest of this series!! life is too short for crappy manga!
Buttons
Apr 04, 2016 Buttons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this manga a lot and I do not even think it is unrealistic. Children that age can have lots of very serious problems and can fall in love and have relationships. Children differ a lot at that age, some are very childlike, some very mature, most are trying to balance their childlike side with their maturing. My sister just had her 18th birthday and she is still very innocent and childlike, when I was that age I had already experienced a lot and was much more weary and seasoned. Still, ...more
Sara
My all time favorite shoujo manga series.
I laughed and cried.
The characters are well developed.
Sana is amazing!
I read this first in fourth grade and then again in sixth, again in seventh, and again in ninth grade. Even after all those times, I still want to re-read.
Madeeha (D-ha)
Mar 05, 2012 Madeeha (D-ha) rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Kodocha is my favorite anime and manga of all time along with Inuyasha and the rest. I love sana and akito. Those two make a great couple! I love this whole series. For all you otakus(manga/ anime obssesed) I suggest you give kodocha a try. You'll love it.
Eka Masih SMA
Jan 06, 2016 Eka Masih SMA rated it really liked it
Waaaa... bagussss.

3,5 bintanh deh.

Nyesal juga baru baca sekarang ^^; huhuhu. Padahal dah punya komik ini dari awal / pertengahan tahun 2014 (agak-agak lupa), tapi baru baca sekarang >.<

Habisnya kirain ceritanya gak seru atau ngebosenin. Ternyata seruuuuuuuuuu.

Walau ya kadang agak 'cemen', tapi mengingat tokohnya adalah para anak SD, jadi ya wajar aja kalau 'cemen' kadang-kadang. Ini aja untuk ukuran anak SD, waw..... :/

Ada ya anak SD yg begini? ^^; Kalau beneran ada, serem amat..... ckckck
Tia
Jun 17, 2009 Tia added it
o...m...g...this was the first manga i ever read in my entire life. i got it two years ago from a library. this little bugger is the cause for my extreme nerdness in manga, anime, shojo, and shonen, i love them all alike. omg, i'm sucha loser....
Stefanie
the story is funny and deep with meaning at the same time.. great story. hoping to read more soon. :):)
Hayama is the typical cold-manga guy.. while Sana is like the typical cheerful-manga girl.. i love this book.
Hajira
Mar 26, 2014 Hajira added it
I LOVED IT!!!! worth reading thousand times over!!
Sereneblaze
I saw the anime to this before I ever read the manga so I kinda already knew what I was getting into when I picked this up.

Sana is a child star with a famous novelist for a mother and hired bodyguard/manager of sorts whom she calls her "gigolo" (she thinks it just means someone whom she pays to stay with her... >>;;). Sana is very excitable and typically gets her ways but she having trouble at school right now mainly because of one boy named Hayama who is causing chaos in the school every
Maddie Senator
Oct 19, 2009 Maddie Senator rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this series. A part of that love is from the delicious nostalgic feelings I get when I read these books, but most of it is from their own merit. I first got introduced to Kodocha when I was in seventh grade, I believe, but I didn't really start reading them until about ninth or tenth grade. But when I got started, I couldn't stop!
You have to be prepared to take a really silly ride when you pick up the first book. Obana's sense of humor is extremely wacky, but I absolutely love
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Jan 21, 2012 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it liked it
Shelves: own, manga
3.5/5
I've watched a bit of the anime of Kodocha (and mostly because I'd watched AMV's of it, which made it look interesting, and still makes me intrigued), but I never finished it. And I knew that TokyoPop had published it, but I never really thought about reading it. But then I saw it at Powell's (because they have a bunch of them), and decided to get the first one, at kind of a spur of the moment because it sounded good. And I thought that there was probably more of a chance of me actually fin
Jaclyn
Sep 30, 2009 Jaclyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I will say right off the bat that Manga is not my genre of choice. I chose this book out of mere curiosity and my rating is based soley on my opinion of the book, not the quality b/c I have nothing to measure it against. For me it was far too simple and the dialogue was child level at best. My 10 year old daughter took one look at it and said it was too easy and boring even for her and I have to agree.

That said, the storyline actually had a point and even a nice message, which I wondered about
Angelee B
Dec 16, 2015 Angelee B rated it it was amazing
I've watched the anime to this series quite a few times. Since the manga is now out-of print, it is very hard to find. Luckily, someone donated books 3-10 to my library! So I had books 1 and 2 ordered, so now I can enjoy the original form.

So far, I love it. Sana is just as hilarious as she was in the anime. I can hear her voice in my head and Akito's. There are tiny details that are different, but all in all, the anime didn't stray from the manga.
Shigaya
Apr 14, 2011 Shigaya rated it it was amazing
Although I HATED the anime, I felt that in the background this should have a gret story... so I decided to read the manga. And it didn't disappointed me (even if it's a manga for preteens, I feel it more 'autentic' than any other in such a long time (I started reading manga from my early 10 or even before if you count those Dragon Ball things my brother had xDD).

The first volume is perfect (a bit innocent, if you let me say that... but innocence is just as fine with me ^^). I can't help myself
Brittanny Handiboe
Jul 07, 2015 Brittanny Handiboe rated it it was amazing
I love this manga because I love Sana and Akito and all they go through. Have cried a bit too so any book or series that makes me have a number of emotions gets a good rating. Miho Obana is also just an awesome author. Read this in middle school and recently read it again. Still one of my favorite manga of all time.
Mel
Jan 20, 2016 Mel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
"Kodomo no omocha è un manga da bambini!"
In parte, forse. Il manga non ha niente a che vedere con la serie d'animazione e, vi assicuro, è decisamente migliore. Prima di tutto la storia di Sana e Akito si sviluppa decisamente più profondamente e vengono trattati temi delicati come l'abbandono e la morte. Secondo ci sono molte più scene "coerenti", siccome l'anime in Italia è stato censurato in più punti. E' un manga che consiglierei a chiunque ed adatto a un po' tutte le fasce d'età (: L'unico ap
Kate
Jan 21, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Kodocha is a darling manga series, and at only 10 volumes, is somewhat more manageable a read for those that are daunted by starting out on a series with 20+ volumes. This is why it is unfortunate that Kodocha is no longer in print in the US. I was able to track down each volume through used booksellers, but the volumes are hard to come by, especially for the casual reader.

Kodocha is about a child star, Sana Kurata, and her attempts at 'fixing' the problems of those around her. Aside from the fa
Jessica Albee
Aug 24, 2014 Jessica Albee rated it liked it
A good start to the series, it does seem predictable but hopefully it will have some surprises. I do have to keep reminding myself that the characters are 11, even though they don't really seem it
Abigail
Apr 26, 2015 Abigail rated it really liked it
full of twist turns and a really funny and enjoyable read. although it can seem childish at times its still worth reading also check out the anime that goes with it.
Romy
Apr 13, 2016 Romy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, manga, romance
i was kind of surprised and dissapointed when i heard that the book was talking about elementary kids, but i gave it a try and i actually enjoyed it.
Nazihah
Sep 03, 2014 Nazihah rated it it was amazing
i thought the book was awesome thought i still wished the characters were a little older
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 8 (Marmalade Boy, #8)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 5 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #5)
  • Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)
  • Mars, Volume 04
  • Sailor Moon, #5 (Sailor Moon, #5)
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Forbidden Dance, Vol. 1
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • Zodiac P.I., Vol. 1 (Zodiac P.I., #1)
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 01
Miho Obana (小花美穂, born April 26, 1970) is a shōjo manga artist born in Tokyo, Japan.
She began her manga career as an assistant to Momoko Sakura, creator of Chibi Maruko-chan. She debuted in 1990 with the (one-shot manga) Mado no Mukō, which was published in the autumn 1990 issue of Ribon Bikkuri. Soon, stories from her started appearing in Ribon Original and in the regular Ribon magazine too.
Other
More about Miho Obana...

Kodomo no Omocha (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 02