Start by marking “American Anthem” as Want to Read:
American Anthem

American Anthem (American Anthem)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  19 reviews
BJ Hoff offers another thrilling historical saga that will capture the hearts of readers everywhere.

At the entrance to the city, an Irish governess climbs into a carriage and sets out to confront the man who destroyed her sister's life--a blind musician who hears music no one else can hear ...

On a congested city street, a lonely Scot physician with a devastating secret mee
Published March 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about American Anthem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Anthem

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasTo Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth HoytRunning Scarred by Jackie WilliamsThe Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyScarred Horizon by Jackie Williams
romance where hero/heroine have a disability
197th out of 291 books — 185 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInSight by Polly IyerPeter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan AuxierThe Escort by Maryn SinclairThis Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland
Awesome Blind Characters
121st out of 136 books — 95 voters

More lists with this book...

Nadine Keels
Absolutely MAGNIFICENT.

This is precisely what literature is supposed to do: live and breathe. The journey from the prologue of Book One to the epilogue of Book Three led not only to the manifestation of a wondrous sound but that of a vision as well. The vision of a blind genius, no less! Oh, I had a qualm or two on stylistic and technical notes (like, why did such an abundance of words, especially when it came to the characters' dialogue, have to be emphasized with italics? and shouldn't there h
Lydia
American Anthem is a story that brings together a group of characters historical and fictional to create one cohesive whole about redemption and second chances. Most prominently featured are an Irish family, and a young girl who emmigrates to America to meet her brother-in-law. B.J. Hoffs has a singularly unique ability to describe music that makes the soul leap and bound and your spirt soar. If you are aquainted with the movie August Rush you will have some idea of what B.J. Hoffs can do in wri ...more
Kim
Great historical fiction about 3 heartwarming families where love and faith are enough to conquer their obstacles. Characters are easy to connect with and likable. Three books in 1 volume.
Aline Florizone
This was an inspirational book which had my interest to the end. It was easy to read. I was also in the mood for such a book.
Joyce
Couldn't put it down!
Alexandra
Lovely book. I give it a wholehearted recommendation. It's well-written, with a beautiful conceit about a blind composer who hears music from above. However, one point did irritate me. One character is scared of having children after witnessing someone dying in childbirth- but then she magically, in about five seconds, decides that she's willing to have a bunch, risking that over and over (and it was a genuinely huge risk back then), just because her husband wants them- even though it seems like ...more
Wendy
Aug 18, 2014 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: h
Good writer
Christin
I thought this was a wonderful book! My first of B.J. Hoff's writing, I can't wait to read more of her. Rather than concentrate on only one storyline per book, she seamlessly wove three families' stories together--it was hard to put it down! I'm glad I got this edition, and not the individual books because it would've been hard to wait for the next book. Highly recommended!
Fairhavenqueen
The plot is fine, a bit predictable, but interesting enough. This author is way too wordy, however!! It's like she's getting paid per word! She tells you exactly what each character thinks about EVERYTHING, several times. I probably will not ever read anything else by this author!
Eileen
The characters were well developed and interesting in their struggles for a new life in America. Of course, several strong women dominated the storylines. But all the characters had their own charm.Even though this is a raily large book it is worth your time to read it.
Tara Chavez
This book was absolutely amazing! The characters or very relatable and for the most part likable. Whether a few things I didn't like Brenda reading another book by Vijay off? Yes, but overall this is a very well-written book.
Milly Dunaway
I really enjoyed this book which is my first read by this author. I love the historical background set in 1870s New York and I how it took me into the lives of the characters.
Judith Mullett
American Anthem is a three in one book. It tells the story of Irish immigrants struggles when coming to America looking for a better life. I could not put it down.
Katie
Kind of boring to begin with, but all of the characters meld together and it really becomes quite inspirational!
Shauna
I was pulled into the story of this book, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy it.
Elaine
Wonderful trilogy! Great character development. Very exciting right up to the end.
Dana Kennedy
Trilogy in one book. Amazing.
Margaret Boehm
Excellent trilogy novel
Lindsay Sloan
definitely a good read
Sandy
read
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
A
A added it
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
BJ Hoff’s bestselling historical novels continue to cross the boundaries of religion, language, and culture to capture a worldwide reading audience.

Her books include such popular series as The Riverhaven Years, The Mountain Song Legacy, Song of Erin, American Anthem, and An Emerald Ballad. Hoff’s stories, although set in the past, are always relevant to the present.

Whether her characters move ab
More about B.J. Hoff...

American Anthem (3 books)
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • Cadence (American Anthem #2)
  • Jubilee (American Anthem #3)
Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1) Song Of The Silent Harp (Emerald Ballad #1) Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2) Heart of the Lonely Exile (Emerald Ballad #2) Land of a Thousand Dreams (Emerald Ballad #3)