Start by marking “Daughter of a King” as Want to Read:
Daughter of a King

Daughter of a King

4.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,665 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
In this allegorical tale, Katie's parents, who are poor farmers, tell her that she is really a princess and must learn to be kind and moral so that one day she will return to her father, the king, in his Crystal Palace.
Published October 1st 2001 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of a King

Savannah Stripling
Dec 09, 2016 Savannah Stripling rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. It is about a girl named Katie who has two parents that are extremely poor farmers. They told her that she was really a princess. They raised her to be kind and loving and everything good because they said soon she would return to her father, the king and she needed to really be kind and loving. So the entire story is about her becoming who the king really wanted her to be. It is all a parallel to the story of us and our king (Jesus). We are to become kind, loving, and ...more
Aschafe2
Wow, what a moving book this is fit for an 8 to 14 year old, if you believe in a world after this life on earth this is the book for you! There is a young girl who grew up with parents teaching her that rags could not hide that she was a press. When kids as school would make fun of her she knew who she was and where she was going. Time went by; she helped others, got married, and passed down when she learned. Then she did go home to that crystal pace called heaven. This book should not be read ...more
Deana
Aug 06, 2008 Deana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Deana by: unknown
Excellent! It makes me so happy that I cry everytime! I've read this book at bishopric parties and girl's camp to teach and bring in the spirit. At girl's camp I played the song "Daughter of a King" after reading the story. Everyone should own this book!

The story takes you through all major phases of life and teaches you that you are a daughter of a king, but you are temporarily living with someone in the kingdom (not the king). Your goal is to get back to the king where you will find unlimited
Shelly Gailey
Sep 19, 2008 Shelly Gailey rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and a wonderful message. A must read for every girl. The author tells of a young girl (Katie) who is told by her parents she is a princess even though they live in a small home in a small village. They tell her she must learn to act like a princess. It follows her through each stage of life and her journey to return to the "Crystal Palace" to live with the King. This is one book I had to own for my daughters! Of course I bought the board book so my 2 year old could enjoy ...more
Brittney
Sep 22, 2008 Brittney rated it it was amazing
We love this book, in fact we love it so much that we named our daughter after the girl in this book. Katie is a princess who doesn't look like one, but her parents have told her that if she acts like a princess, then her father, the king has prepared a place for her in the Crystal Palace. This is a book about her journey to realizing that she is a daughter of the king and what it means to be a princess. She discovers that being a princess is not easy, it takes hard work, but it is worth it in t ...more
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
This is easily my favorite children's book of all time. In a lovely tale of our mortal lives on earth, and our journey back to our Heavenly Father, Rachel Ann Nunes creates an entrancing story. Though I have read this story countless times, it never ceases to amaze me, and I never cease to fall in love with the gorgeous illustrations. Sometimes, it can even still make me cry.

I'm 16, and I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Jessie
Dec 29, 2007 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational, own
This book was about a girl who was told by her mother and father that she is a princess. That she will need to be good to return to her father the King at his Crystal Palace. It was such a simple and good analogy. This book is very small and won't take more than 15 minutes to read. I would love to have it to read to my children.
Siera
Nov 01, 2008 Siera rated it it was amazing
I consider this book extraordinary. I love it - it's original tale is such fantastic symbolism, and it's a great lesson to learn. It's an amazing moral booster - with the powerful way it's written, anytime I read it, it becomes nearly impossible for me to forget who my Father in Heaven is and exactly why I'm so important.
Greg
Children's book with an allegorical message of God's love, individual worth, and the way back to our eternal home. My wife recorded me reading it aloud so that she could share it with the children in our Primary organization. She said they were enthralled, so it may be a pretty good children's book.
Catherine
Apr 05, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
What a sweet story! I loved the symbolism and I even cried throughout the book. It is written as a children's book, but the story applies to adults as well. It basically talks about our journey here on earth and our hope to live with our Father in Heaven again.
Marilyn
Dec 26, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is an allegory about learning to be like Heavenly Father so you can go back to live with him in the "Crystal Palace" after this life. Ben Sowards is one of the illustrators. His illustrations are life-like oils that have a certain better-than-real-life flavor.
Jamie
Sep 23, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully illustrated with a beautiful message: that you are a literal child of God and his greatest hope is that you live your life in a way that you will be able to return and live with him again someday.
Becca
Jul 11, 2012 Becca rated it it was amazing
Every mother should read this with her daughter! Totally made me cry and is a great depiction of what is happening in the world today and how to teach our girls they are beautiful no matter what & what is most important.
Universitybabe
May 13, 2008 Universitybabe rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The only thing keeping me from giving this book five stars is the length. My kids loved it--I was way surprised they followed the story but they did. They loved it and I liked the story enought to forgive the length.
Catherine
Oct 18, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
This book makes me so happy! It is such a cute way of telling the story of how our lives are. We are all truly sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father who is a King. We are all princes and princesses❤ ...more
Cindy
Sep 12, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's the story of Katie who is a country girl raised by good parents. She tries hard to do the right thing and make good choices. Wonderful book to share with girls. It's so important to work on self-image, when girls get bad message sent from almost everywhere they turn.
Tasha Sylvester
Apr 16, 2009 Tasha Sylvester rated it it was amazing
This is a great princess book and it is very special to me because my Mom gave it to me for one of my birthdays when I was in college I think. So my sentimental attachment to it is the strongest but it is also a great little parable about who we are and where we are going in this life.
Nicole Sampson
Nov 08, 2016 Nicole Sampson rated it it was amazing
This was an analogy about how we are children of God & how during this life we're preparing to return to live with him again someday. I loved the way it was told like a fairytale.
Cori
Feb 18, 2009 Cori rated it it was amazing
Practically perfect in every way. Keep the kleenex handy!
Mina
Apr 09, 2009 Mina rated it it was amazing
Picture story for children teaching the divine nature of humankind. I can't read the end without crying. Either it is very, very touching, or I am a sap. Maybe it's both.
Meghan Coffey
May 04, 2011 Meghan Coffey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I remember having this read a New Beginnings when I was 12! This is such a good book.
Liesl
Mar 31, 2008 Liesl rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I really enjoyed the Ariana series. All of the books are hard to put down. This is book number 2.
T.K.
May 13, 2009 T.K. rated it it was amazing
Delightful way to teach your daughter who she really is. My 5-year-old loves this book. :)
Gaby
Dec 12, 2008 Gaby rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! A must read for all girls and women!
Beth
May 09, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it reminds little girls of who they are (a daughter of God) and the love that there is for them.
Linsey
May 27, 2008 Linsey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Linsey by: Rebecca Bright
I love how this story portays the introduction Plan of Salvation to children, and looking forward to the Spirit World. The art is Beautiful.
Leilani
Even THogh its apicture book; it remindes me i am a child of god and heanly father loves me, and it takes a long time and hard steps 2 see him again
Katie
Feb 28, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
This was given to me by one of my YW leaders when I moved. I especially like it because the main character's name is Katie, so it makes it that much more relatable.
Mary
Oct 05, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sweet story. Beautiful illustrations.
Cherisa
Dec 20, 2008 Cherisa rated it really liked it
It's so cute! I love how Rachel Ann Nunes writes about the gospel. It makes me happy:)
  • I Am a Child of God
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • My First Book of Mormon Stories
  • Christmas Oranges
  • You Are Mine (Wemmicksville, #2)
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Children's Songbook
  • The Spyglass: A Story of Faith
  • All I Hold Dear
  • Who's Your Hero?: Book of Mormon Stories Applied to Children
  • Charlie's Monument
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Stand a Little Taller
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • A Promise of Forever
  • Small and Simple Things
  • Fanny's Dream
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and wr ...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...