Start by marking “Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South” as Want to Read:
Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South

Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South (American Vampire)

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Perhaps more than any region, the American South is haunted by the mythology of the vampire, returned from the dead to drain life from the living.
Published September 1st 1997 by Cumberland House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Southern Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Blood

Joshua Buhs
Mar 27, 2016 Joshua Buhs rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Bad book. Bad, bad book.

Apparently, this was the opening in what was supposed to be a series of regionally-centered short stories about vampires. For all I know, the series worked out just fine. But from the evidence of this book, the editors didn't care very much about it.

The first insult is the introduction, which trots out every known cliché about the South in two pages. Tied to the past, wrapped up in the civil war, plantations and magnolias. And yet, somehow, the introduction manages not to
Cynthia
This anthology includes 12 vampire stories set in the south. Being a southerner myself, I thought this would be a neat little read. Honestly, I only enjoyed about half (maybe less) of the stories.

The short stories included in this anthology are:

*The Carpetbagger (Louisiana) by Susan Shwartz
*Claim-Jumpin' Woman, You Got a Stake in My Heart (Georgia) by Esther Friesner
*The Silver Coffin (Virgina) by Robert Barbour Johnson
*Like a Pilgrim to a Shrine (Florida) by Brian Hodge
*The Cursed Damozel (Ten
Blow Pop
This took me a lot longer to read than I thought it would.

I liked it but some of the stories were really long and seemed to drag in places.

I like the re-imaginings of vampires for some of the stories. Vampires that can be in the sun and don't have fangs but still drink blood. Vampires that feed off of energy and can be in the sun. I just really like vampires. Because vampire stories have fascinated me ever since I was a child. But it was fairly enjoyable.
Ruby Hollyberry
Lots of uncaught typos and errors and very distracting giant capital letters at the beginnnings of chapters, but solid collection of stories. I noticed one was recycled from Vampire Detectives, which is a little annoying. Above all I was pleased with these, especially with "Claim-Jumping Woman You've Got a Stake in My Heart" by Esther Friesner, which I originally read 20 years ago in Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine. It was my all-time favorite short story from the years I subscribed, and I ...more
Seth Tucker
This book is okay. I did not love a lot of the stories in this book and felt that they were borderline paranormal romance. At least half the stories in this book are fantastic and well worth the price I paid. I will admit that I purchased this book used and did not have to pay the MSRP, so if you can find it the same way it's worth a few bucks.
Mrs. Riding
Jun 14, 2010 Mrs. Riding rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, adult
Thanks to my dear daughter-in-law, Jamilyn, this book appeared on my doorstep last week. We had talked about the "sparkily" vampire stories that are all the rage and how they do not compare to the real vampire tales. I enjoyed the short story format. The variety was also excellent. Some were very imaginative (Elvis wanted to live forever, so...) but some were very graphic. Still--better than the fluffy, so called vampires that are popular. A little too intense for a junior high library though, s ...more
Alexis Neal
A middling collection of vampire stories. Some were--of course--more creative and enjoyable than others. And the American South is--of course--an excellent setting for vampire lore. Still, I was hoping for more. Vampires make for such great stories; it's a shame this collection didn't boast better ones. The editors, too, have much to answer for, as the text has more than its fair share of typos, grammatical errors, and other mistakes. Still, it's not a bad way to pass the time while traveling, s ...more
Amy
Jul 01, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it wasn't the greatest anthology of vampire based stories, it was a refreshing break from the overabundance of "fluffy bunny" vampire fiction that's grown abundant, though there are bits that leak through. The attempt at capturing local dialects was delightful. Fewer tourist based stories would have been nice in an attempt at grabbing local color. All in all, neither a great nor an awful read.
Dana
Apr 04, 2011 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Like any anthology, this had some interesting stories and some that didn't work out. I liked the Southern flavor, but most were not scary enough for my taste. If you are a fan of the vampire genre, it's worth a read, but only after you've exhausted the works of Anne Rice.
Julia Chase
I just enjoyed it. There were a few stories that left me wanting, such as The Silver Coffin, The Cursed Damozel...they could have been so much more. But, the new vs. ancient view of the absurd with Dracula and Kraeken...fun!
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I enjoy vampire stories. It is one of my guilty pleasures. I really liked some of these stories and some of them were kinda silly. I still think Victorian vampire stories are the best though.
Sara Bauer
Aug 25, 2013 Sara Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories are weaker than others, but most of them are fantastic. I do love me some vampires, and revisiting the Lowcountry via these works was a pleasant treat!
Amy
This book was just ok. The only reason why I finished it so quickly was because I was stuck at a gas station for 5 hours and nothing better to do.
Sara
Jan 04, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Well chosen anthology. Would recommend to vampire fans and anyone looking for a slightly different view of the vampirt mythology.
Jami
Terrible collection. Really the worst vampires stories I have ever read. I couldn't even bear to finish the book.
Heather
May 04, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not worth reading got it as a clearance book and now i know why
Marni
Oct 14, 2012 Marni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it because there was nothing else to read.
Rose Hardee
Oct 06, 2011 Rose Hardee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
First book I never finished
Irma Montanez
Apr 03, 2012 Irma Montanez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary
Antonio Heras
Antonio Heras marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kestra Derise
Kestra Derise rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Bill Silvia
Bill Silvia marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Aspa Kand
Aspa Kand marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Cindy Wilson
Cindy Wilson marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
John Wallen
John Wallen rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
Gisele Siegmund
Gisele Siegmund rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Vampire Stories
  • Best New Horror 13 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #13)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2010
  • Witches & Warlocks: Tales of Black Magic, Old & New
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Creatures: Thirty Years of Monsters
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Queer Fear (Queer Fear #1)
  • The Book of Talismans, Amulets and Zodiacal Gems
  • The Path of a Christian Witch
  • Young Lovecraft #1
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • In Laymon's Terms
I'm a full-time author, anthologist, and translator (Spanish->English) living in Madrid, Spain.

Writing in both Spanish and English, I've published over 90 books in a wide range of genres, including poetry (DESAYUNO EN LA CAMA and FAIRY TALES FOR WRITERS), children's books (LA AVENTURA DE CECILIA Y EL DRAGÓN, COSAS QUE PUEDO HACER YO SOLO, LITTLE PIRATE GOES TO SCHOOL, etc.), short stories (TWO
More about Lawrence Schimel...

American Vampire (4 books)
  • Blood Lines: Vampire Stories from New England
  • Streets of Blood (The American Vampire series)
  • Fields of Blood (The American Vampire series)