Start by marking “Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South” as Want to Read:
Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South

Southern Blood: Vampire Stories from the American South (American Vampire)

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Perhaps more than any region, the American South is haunted by the mythology of the vampire, returned from the dead to drain life from the living.
Published September 1st 1997 by Cumberland House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Southern Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Blood

Cynthia
This anthology includes 12 vampire stories set in the south. Being a southerner myself, I thought this would be a neat little read. Honestly, I only enjoyed about half (maybe less) of the stories.

The short stories included in this anthology are:

*The Carpetbagger (Louisiana) by Susan Shwartz
*Claim-Jumpin' Woman, You Got a Stake in My Heart (Georgia) by Esther Friesner
*The Silver Coffin (Virgina) by Robert Barbour Johnson
*Like a Pilgrim to a Shrine (Florida) by Brian Hodge
*The Cursed Damozel (Ten
Blow Pop
This took me a lot longer to read than I thought it would.

I liked it but some of the stories were really long and seemed to drag in places.

I like the re-imaginings of vampires for some of the stories. Vampires that can be in the sun and don't have fangs but still drink blood. Vampires that feed off of energy and can be in the sun. I just really like vampires. Because vampire stories have fascinated me ever since I was a child. But it was fairly enjoyable.
Ruby Hollyberry
Lots of uncaught typos and errors and very distracting giant capital letters at the beginnnings of chapters, but solid collection of stories. I noticed one was recycled from Vampire Detectives, which is a little annoying. Above all I was pleased with these, especially with "Claim-Jumping Woman You've Got a Stake in My Heart" by Esther Friesner, which I originally read 20 years ago in Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine. It was my all-time favorite short story from the years I subscribed, and I ...more
Seth Tucker
This book is okay. I did not love a lot of the stories in this book and felt that they were borderline paranormal romance. At least half the stories in this book are fantastic and well worth the price I paid. I will admit that I purchased this book used and did not have to pay the MSRP, so if you can find it the same way it's worth a few bucks.
Mrs. Riding
Thanks to my dear daughter-in-law, Jamilyn, this book appeared on my doorstep last week. We had talked about the "sparkily" vampire stories that are all the rage and how they do not compare to the real vampire tales. I enjoyed the short story format. The variety was also excellent. Some were very imaginative (Elvis wanted to live forever, so...) but some were very graphic. Still--better than the fluffy, so called vampires that are popular. A little too intense for a junior high library though, s ...more
Alexis Neal
A middling collection of vampire stories. Some were--of course--more creative and enjoyable than others. And the American South is--of course--an excellent setting for vampire lore. Still, I was hoping for more. Vampires make for such great stories; it's a shame this collection didn't boast better ones. The editors, too, have much to answer for, as the text has more than its fair share of typos, grammatical errors, and other mistakes. Still, it's not a bad way to pass the time while traveling, s ...more
Amy
While it wasn't the greatest anthology of vampire based stories, it was a refreshing break from the overabundance of "fluffy bunny" vampire fiction that's grown abundant, though there are bits that leak through. The attempt at capturing local dialects was delightful. Fewer tourist based stories would have been nice in an attempt at grabbing local color. All in all, neither a great nor an awful read.
Dana
Like any anthology, this had some interesting stories and some that didn't work out. I liked the Southern flavor, but most were not scary enough for my taste. If you are a fan of the vampire genre, it's worth a read, but only after you've exhausted the works of Anne Rice.
Julia Chase
I just enjoyed it. There were a few stories that left me wanting, such as The Silver Coffin, The Cursed Damozel...they could have been so much more. But, the new vs. ancient view of the absurd with Dracula and Kraeken...fun!
Rebecca
I enjoy vampire stories. It is one of my guilty pleasures. I really liked some of these stories and some of them were kinda silly. I still think Victorian vampire stories are the best though.
Sara Bauer
Some of the stories are weaker than others, but most of them are fantastic. I do love me some vampires, and revisiting the Lowcountry via these works was a pleasant treat!
Amy
This book was just ok. The only reason why I finished it so quickly was because I was stuck at a gas station for 5 hours and nothing better to do.
Sara
Well chosen anthology. Would recommend to vampire fans and anyone looking for a slightly different view of the vampirt mythology.
Jami
Terrible collection. Really the worst vampires stories I have ever read. I couldn't even bear to finish the book.
Heather
not worth reading got it as a clearance book and now i know why
Marni
Read it because there was nothing else to read.
Rose Hardee
First book I never finished
Allice Brownfield
Allice Brownfield marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Breanne
Breanne marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jazmin
Jazmin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Wanda Ray
Wanda Ray marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Vampire Stories
  • Best New Horror 13 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #13)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • 30 Days of Night
  • The Werewolves of London (David Lydyard, #1)
  • French Quarter Fiction: The Newest Stories of America's Oldest Bohemia
  • Queer Fear (Queer Fear #1)
  • Z.E.O.: How to Get A(Head) in Business
  • The Book of Talismans, Amulets and Zodiacal Gems
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Witches & Warlocks: Tales of Black Magic, Old & New
  • In Laymon's Terms
I'm a full-time author, anthologist, and translator (Spanish->English) living in Madrid, Spain.

Writing in both Spanish and English, I've published over 90 books in a wide range of genres, including poetry (DESAYUNO EN LA CAMA and FAIRY TALES FOR WRITERS), children's books (LA AVENTURA DE CECILIA Y EL DRAGÓN, COSAS QUE PUEDO HACER YO SOLO, LITTLE PIRATE GOES TO SCHOOL, etc.), short stories (TWO
More about Lawrence Schimel...

American Vampire (4 books)
  • Blood Lines: Vampire Stories from New England
  • Streets of Blood (The American Vampire series)
  • Fields of Blood (The American Vampire series)
Let's Go See Papá! The Drag Queen of Elfland Fairy Tales for Writers Louisiana Vampires I Like It Like That: True Stories of Gay Male Desire