Start by marking “St. Ursula's Girls Against the Atomic Bomb” as Want to Read:
St. Ursula's Girls Against the Atomic Bomb

St. Ursula's Girls Against the Atomic Bomb

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  87 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Making a second attempt at her senior year in high school, Raine Rassaby is now enrolled in St. Ursula’s Academy for Girls, where she has been made the special charge of guidance counselor Al Klepatar. But Raine, more concerned about the world’s problems than going to college, spends her time rescuing wounded birds, befriending street people, and organizing protest groups ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Plume (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about St. Ursula's Girls Against the Atomic Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St. Ursula's Girls Against the Atomic Bomb

Saloma Miller
Jun 18, 2011 Saloma Miller rated it it was amazing
ST. URSLUA'S GIRLS AGAINST THE ATOMIC BOMB by Valerie Hurley is about a young woman, Raine Rassaby (what a great name!), who is awkward and precocious, outlandish and blatantly honest. Her social conscience is in overdrive at all times -- making up for both her parents who seem to have next to none. She cannot stay out of trouble, partly because she acts out her fears in sometimes inappropriate ways.

Raine is drawn to Pavel, a young Jewish man who rescues wounded birds and talks to old people at
Christine
Nov 13, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Raine is such a unique, passionate and memorable character. She is never predictable and as a reader you can't stop wondering what she'll choose to do next. You kind of want to take her under your wing, as Al tries to do, but she's a bit too prickly for that. And Al has his own problems....

This story has a pleasing mix of humor, philosophy, dramatic surprise and beautiful lyrical writing. I should confess that the writer is a personal friend of mine, but honestly, she has created a very quirky,
Anne
Dec 17, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
I had read this book a while ago, it seemed to be rather odd. Odd in the way that the characters seem to intersect, weird in the relationships that they seem to have with each other. I liked the main character Raine, guess that what happens when you get neglekted by your parents. I would still say a good read and if you have the chance, read this sort of bizarre book.
Traci
Feb 20, 2011 Traci rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, ya, library
I find Raine, like Holden Caufield before her, difficult to like. She and Holden both dislike what they see in the world and flail against it, but in doing so fail to live their own lives and neglect the people around them. I wish I could remind them both that love starts close and small, and being mindful of their own lives would probably be the miracle cure they're looking for.
Kaycee
Dec 14, 2009 Kaycee marked it as to-read
This book sounds good as well and I hope I can read it because it sounds like it has a good plot to it. If you see this rview and have not already read this book I would recommend it as my friends have done for me.
Mackenzie Dickson
Aug 02, 2009 Mackenzie Dickson rated it really liked it
"Oh, if only poor Holden could have met Raine Rassaby. He would have fallen for this young woman hard, as does any reader with the heart of a seeker."
--Tom Paine, author of Scar Vegas and Pearl of Kuwait
Maureen
Mar 17, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I'd read an essay by Valerie Hurley in Resurrecting Grace which I enjoyed. Delighted to find out that she also writes fiction. This is an unusual story and I enjoyed it!
Krystal Phillips
May 27, 2015 Krystal Phillips rated it really liked it
Really had me thinking about many interesting topics. Probably made me a better human being. Can't wait to give a book talk on it when you-know-what starts again. (School).
Jodie
Nov 25, 2014 Jodie rated it liked it
Picked this up a while ago, it sounded interesting and I loved the cover. An easy read with a quirky main character. I enjoyed it.
Bcoghill Coghill
Oct 20, 2008 Bcoghill Coghill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bcoghill by: Library shelf
I think it was just me.
I just wasn't ready for another trudge through the adult/adolecent relationship muddle.
Maybe another day
Hannah
Mar 01, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing
The main character in this book was astounding. I found myself adoring her more and more with each page.
Jan 29, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After being enrolled in St. Ursula's School for Girls by her parents, Raine Rassaby takes up a crusade against atomic weapons and begins a relationship with her guidance counselor.
Diane
Aug 22, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
Loved this book about a quirky girl who wants to save the world from atomic bombs! More on http://bookwinked.wordpress.com
Andie Nash
Andie Nash rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2016
Lorna
Mar 06, 2013 Lorna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Gave up nearly halfway through. Just don't care about any of the characters or their predicaments.
Anne Pflugi
Anne Pflugi rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2008
Jim Clemens
Jim Clemens rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Marcie
Marcie rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2010
Mindi
Mindi rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Laarni
Laarni rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Joanne Simpson
Joanne Simpson rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2008
meri
meri rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Beth Knight
Beth Knight rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Valerie received a B.S. in literature, summa cum laude, from the State University of New York in 1987. Her stories and essays have appeared in Indiana Review, The Massachusetts Review, Calyx, The Missouri Review, The Iowa Review, New Letters, The Sun, Rosebud, and other magazines and newspapers. She has taught writing in Burlington, Vermont, and in 2002 was a DeWitt Wallace/Readers Digest fellow ...more
More about Valerie Hurley...