The Right Address

The Right Address

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,505 ratings  ·  90 reviews
The Right Address sears through the upper crust of New York’s glittering Park Avenue scene to dish the dirt on the ladies who lunch, the gents who club, and the desperate climbers who will stop at nothing to join the backstabbing, champagne-sipping, socialite-eat-socialite stratosphere.

When Melanie Sartomsky, wily Floridian flight attendant, snares billionaire divorcée Ar...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Right Address, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Address

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingLost In Time by Bridgitte LesleyCheating to Survive by Christine Ardigo
Chick lit
72nd out of 246 books — 314 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Ahh, classic, NY chick-lit. It doesn't get any trashier then this. This book had way too many charecters and the only thing that really connected them all was the building they lived in. It was really about two different families with like an assortment of other characters thrown in. Family #1 contained this simi-newly married couple and the Girl came from no where and wanted so much to fit in to high society that she did what everyone considered really stupid things and then just talked behind...more
Savannah
This was one of the worst books I've ever read! It was pointless, superficial and degrading. I honestly don't know what the point of this book was and I why I even bothered to finish this. I guess I was just hoping the ending would make things better- but far from.

None of the characters were likable not Melanie, Arthur or Cordelia who were supposed to be the only good people in the book. There was no soul or character to anybody making it impossible to connect to anyone.
I would give this book 0/...more
Deborah
This is chick lit in it's most catty, upper crust form! I enjoyed reading it - a lot. I don't really know why, as it was so full of BS, and a life style that I would never want or could ever have. Maybe that, in itself, is why. If you enjoy name dropping on every high end flamboyant purchase possible from furniture and clothes to jewelry and motor vehicles, you will identify. Actually, I found this book to be a case of - What goes around, comes around. In the end, the worse of the bitches get th...more
Lady L
This book satisfied my voyeuristic cravings up to the point where I had more than enough and started to feel nauseated, figuratively speaking. I read this book on a 12 hour plane ride because I did not have anything else to read. I finished almost 3/4 of the book and planned to finish the rest once I get over my jetlag.

"The Right Address" is about the life of the rich and famous in New York. Not even remotely close to the complex yet beautiful societal dance of the wealthy New Yorkers in Edith W...more
Brittany
Aug 26, 2008 Brittany rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of snobby society books (Candace Bushnell, Kathleen Tessaro)
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
How I Came To Read This Book: I bought it the same day I bought 'Wolves in Chic Clothing'

The Plot: Everyone in NYC wants to live at the 'right address' - in this case, an upscale ritzy apartment block in a primo location. Melanie Korn nee Sartomsky has found herself in the lion's den when she marries funeral home tycoon Arthur Korn and is trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to fit into the creme de la creme of the Upper East Side. The book also peeks into the windows of other residents of 'the right...more
Eliabeth Hawthorne
It was a bit like listening to Gossip Girl the later years, once they've aged and toned down some, but are still shallow, petty, and obsessed with scandal. No one was manipulating them with next messages and gossip girl blasts, but they tear each other up with vicious whispers and "lost" invitations.

It's a very character driven book. Each chapter hops around and follows a different pair or family. With one notable exception, there's very little plot to the novel, it's more just listening to peop...more
Briana
At first I didn't particularly like this book & I couldn't find a character I liked very much. Even when I got to the middle of the book, I didn't think I'd give it more than 3 stars, if that.

Melanie cared way too much what others thought, which made her annoying to others (including me). & everyone else was so judgmental of others despite their own drama.

This book was fairly entertaining with a few surprising twists here and there. Melanie's metamorphosis from trying to be a replica o...more
Kim Dempsey
I listened to this book on tape. It was a fun read. High society ladies always make me laugh. It was funny and light. The ending was nice and put everything into perspective and all the ladies into their place. I fell in love with Melanie and Arthur from the start. Melanie was perfect and held her own against the bitter, drama of caddy women.
Anna
This was a nice weekend fluff read about the underbelly of high society. We follow an unwanted addition to the rich scene of New York as she claws desperately to be accepted until she realises the secret to be accepted.
Lapauselibrairie

Un homme marié qui fait un enfant dans le dos de sa femme à une semi prostituée en mal d’argent, mais il se rend compte qu’il aime énormément sa femme et veut que tout revienne comme avant. Un homme qui a le béguin pour une autre demoiselle que sa chérie. Une femme qui n’aime pas sa vie de riche. Une femme qui souhaiterait faire partie de l’élite. Des commères. Et des happy end. Voilà un livre de chick-lit assez basique. Une lecture sympathique mais pas le...more
Melissa
Scathing look at Park Avenue socialites and their lives. A bit cutting and not as well written as it could have been.
Meaghan
in the vein of wolves in chic clothing... i enjoyed it. the lives of the rich people in new york city are so beyond me it feels like reading a fantasy novel instead of regular old fiction. great writing team.
Alexa
Just the ticket - I like my books on CD to be short and sweet or I lose the plot (I only listen while stuck in Los Angeles traffic). This was frothy fun in four quick CD's. The best aspect for me was the narrator, Barbara Rosenblat, who I know from all the Goldy Schultz mysteries. I grew tired of the Goldy books and her voice, so I was a bit apprehensive about listening to this. She's actually a hoot with the right material, and probably did a good two dozen voices (my favorite was the Hispanic...more
Amber
I read this after reading their other title, "Wolves in Chic Clothing." Although WICC was not amazing, it was certainly easier to handle than this one. I generally read a book in one day, maybe two. It took me a week to struggle through this mess. You expect a book about "upper" society to be pretentious but this bordered on ridiculous and obnoxious. I will not be reading the authors again.

Want to read something fun, witty, enjoyable, and actually hard to put down? Then try the Stephanie Plum s...more
T. Strange
Having read and enjoyed Momzillas by Jill Kargmen, I had high expectations for this book, but I found it kind of meh. It really seemed as though her writing wasn't as good with a co-author.
Princess Missy
Ok.
let me just say
this book was something else
at first
Mackenzie
I finally finished this novel! Although it isn't altogether that long I just found it so hard to get into. The first 100 to 150 pages were just so boring. It was such a bore to get through the first half of the novel, because it detailed society, and I just found what was said was soo boring. But once I was near the 200th page I was so intrigued as to how the book was going to play out :). I recommend this novel if you're stubborn enough to continue reading a book even when it's downright boring...more
Kim Darwaza
I love my NYC CHICK-lit!
Kathleen
Fluffy chic lit. but I enjoyed it :)
Vickie
This was written by Carrie Karasyov and Jill Kargman two authors who also wrote Wolves in Sheeps Clothing.
Although I enjoyed the book, I wouldn't say it was up there with my all time favorites, but it was enjoyable.It was snarky, witty and some of the characters were way over the top. Maria, the Latina janitor turned
If this book is a true portrayal of NYC high society then count me in as someone who is very glad to be a normal everyday, middle of the road woman.
Joseph
Racist, sexist and homophobic. What more is there to say, really?
Emi
Jun 26, 2007 Emi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fashionistas/Society Voyeurs
Shelves: fashionistas
This book makes you glad not to live in New York “society”. It is a voyeuristic look at the ladies who lunch. The good the bad and the ugly are all reveled through the eyes of an outsider and the ultimate insider. It was a great book right up until it was all tied up in a tidy karma laced bow at the end. As nice as it is to think that good always prevails over evil the ending was far to contrived for the rest of the story.
Kristine (fezabel)
I didn't see a plot or a point to this book. It's incessant whining about rich people's 'lives' as the Social Elite of Manhattan. Plus, it has lines in it like 'She burgled his breath right out of his lungs.' The authors try way too hard for catty and end up sounding jealous. It was a total waste of time to read.
Sheree
Someone told me this was a good "summer read", which interested me, having recently read 3 very long novels. I hated it. Catty women complain and back-stab page after page. Really brought me down. Had to go for a long walk in the woods and spend time with my loved ones to recover!
Courtney
Mindless, enjoyable, guilty-pleasure read... but then again I'm strangely addicted to the Gossip Girl television show. Don't read if expect to be enlightened. On the other hand if you are a.) a chick and b.) someone that can read a book for mindless enjoyment, than go for it.
Woohoo!
Meg
Nov 13, 2008 Meg marked it as to-read
this book didn't get great reviews but thats cuz all the people that wrote reviews don't like books like this..... (mean, snotty people that live in NYC) but w/e. i find them really funny and sorta unrealistic.... but very fun to read although they have no meaning whatsoever =)
Delaine
This book was fabulous! It was a lot like The Real Housewives of New York, only more sinister and much, much better. While there is a good plot, it's the snappy dialogue and hilariously spoiled characters that make this book so great. It's a really fun read.
Julie H.
Melanie is decidedly unsympathetic, and now I understand why the label for this genre is "Gossip Lit." This doesn't pack the punch of The Nanny Diaries becaue there's no kid (or children in the grand scheme of things) to care about.
Carla Jean
This is a silly chick lit novel about society women on New York’s Park Avenue. It was kind of fun… perhaps a few semi-gory details I could’ve lived without, but all in all nothing that merits more than a few sentences of review. --notes from 2005
  • The Botox Diaries
  • Fashionably Late
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • Accidental It Girl
Carrie Doyle Karasyov was born in New York City. Upon graduation from Barnard College, where she majored in Russian Language and Literature, Carrie worked in the features department of Harper's Bazaar. In 1995, Carrie moved to Moscow, Russia, to help launch the Russian edition of Harper's Bazaar. The following year, she became founding Editor-in-Chief of the Russian edition of Marie Claire. After...more
More about Carrie Karasyov...
Wolves in Chic Clothing Bittersweet Sixteen Summer Intern The Infidelity Pact Jet Set