Start by marking “The Right Address” as Want to Read:
The Right Address

The Right Address

3.28  ·  Rating Details ·  2,090 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
The Right Address sears through the upper crust of New York’s glittering Park Avenue scene to dish the dirt on the ladies who lunch, the gents who club, and the desperate climbers who will stop at nothing to join the backstabbing, champagne-sipping, socialite-eat-socialite stratosphere.

When Melanie Sartomsky, wily Floridian flight attendant, snares billionaire divorcée Ar
Published March 15th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Right Address, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Address

Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoLost In Time by Bridgitte Lesley
Chick lit
348 books — 408 voters
Sweet 16 by Kate BrianGeek Charming by Robin PalmerThe Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LaZebnikA Royal Match by Tyne O'ConnellPoseur by Rachel Maude
Purses & Handbags
21 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Savannah
Jun 15, 2013 Savannah rated it did not like it
This was one of the worst books I've ever read! It was pointless, superficial and degrading. I honestly don't know what the point of this book was and I why I even bothered to finish this. I guess I was just hoping the ending would make things better- but far from.

None of the characters were likable not Melanie, Arthur or Cordelia who were supposed to be the only good people in the book. There was no soul or character to anybody making it impossible to connect to anyone.
I would give this book 0/
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Ahh, classic, NY chick-lit. It doesn't get any trashier then this. This book had way too many charecters and the only thing that really connected them all was the building they lived in. It was really about two different families with like an assortment of other characters thrown in. Family #1 contained this simi-newly married couple and the Girl came from no where and wanted so much to fit in to high society that she did what everyone considered really stupid things and then just talked behind ...more
Eliabeth Hawthorne
Sep 28, 2012 Eliabeth Hawthorne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
It was a bit like listening to Gossip Girl the later years, once they've aged and toned down some, but are still shallow, petty, and obsessed with scandal. No one was manipulating them with next messages and gossip girl blasts, but they tear each other up with vicious whispers and "lost" invitations.

It's a very character driven book. Each chapter hops around and follows a different pair or family. With one notable exception, there's very little plot to the novel, it's more just listening to peop
Deborah
Jul 18, 2014 Deborah rated it liked it
This is chick lit in it's most catty, upper crust form! I enjoyed reading it - a lot. I don't really know why, as it was so full of BS, and a life style that I would never want or could ever have. Maybe that, in itself, is why. If you enjoy name dropping on every high end flamboyant purchase possible from furniture and clothes to jewelry and motor vehicles, you will identify. Actually, I found this book to be a case of - What goes around, comes around. In the end, the worse of the bitches get th ...more
Beth Kibel Soulliard
Sep 20, 2015 Beth Kibel Soulliard rated it it was amazing
Didn't realize till after I had started reading that this was cowritten by the same genius who is responsible for "Odd Mom Out" on Bravo. LOVE that show. And this book is just as good! Also set in Upper East Side New York, this is told mainly from perspective of a lady who married into the society. Its a crazy world, and entertaining to read
Rebekah
Mar 06, 2016 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It is one of "naughty" indulgences. It has the drama, everyone says they do not like, but secretly enjoy reading. The Right Address is hilarious and makes you wonder, is New York Society really like this?
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 Brittany rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of snobby society books (Candace Bushnell, Kathleen Tessaro)
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
How I Came To Read This Book: I bought it the same day I bought 'Wolves in Chic Clothing'

The Plot: Everyone in NYC wants to live at the 'right address' - in this case, an upscale ritzy apartment block in a primo location. Melanie Korn nee Sartomsky has found herself in the lion's den when she marries funeral home tycoon Arthur Korn and is trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to fit into the creme de la creme of the Upper East Side. The book also peeks into the windows of other residents of 'the right
Lady L
Jul 13, 2011 Lady L rated it it was ok
This book satisfied my voyeuristic cravings up to the point where I had more than enough and started to feel nauseated, figuratively speaking. I read this book on a 12 hour plane ride because I did not have anything else to read. I finished almost 3/4 of the book and planned to finish the rest once I get over my jetlag.

"The Right Address" is about the life of the rich and famous in New York. Not even remotely close to the complex yet beautiful societal dance of the wealthy New Yorkers in Edith W
Will Thompson
Trite but delightful

Trying too hard, likes its protagonist; elitist Upper East Side snark for explicitly that crowd; only missing the phrase "flyover states"; these are all criticisms I could make of this novel, and true though they may be, I genuinely enjoyed it.

Think Coen Brothers meets The Princess Diaries. A brash, driven flight attendant snatches a coffin profiteer, and their earnest, honest love brings Melanie back to Arthur's Manhattan home. She wants so desperately to break into the up
Briana
Apr 04, 2013 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: recently-read
At first I didn't particularly like this book & I couldn't find a character I liked very much. Even when I got to the middle of the book, I didn't think I'd give it more than 3 stars, if that.

Melanie cared way too much what others thought, which made her annoying to others (including me). & everyone else was so judgmental of others despite their own drama.

This book was fairly entertaining with a few surprising twists here and there. Melanie's metamorphosis from trying to be a replica o
Lapauselibrairie

Un homme marié qui fait un enfant dans le dos de sa femme à une semi prostituée en mal d’argent, mais il se rend compte qu’il aime énormément sa femme et veut que tout revienne comme avant. Un homme qui a le béguin pour une autre demoiselle que sa chérie. Une femme qui n’aime pas sa vie de riche. Une femme qui souhaiterait faire partie de l’élite. Des commères. Et des happy end. Voilà un livre de chick-lit assez basique. Une lecture sympathique mais pas le
Amber
Aug 11, 2008 Amber rated it did not like it
I read this after reading their other title, "Wolves in Chic Clothing." Although WICC was not amazing, it was certainly easier to handle than this one. I generally read a book in one day, maybe two. It took me a week to struggle through this mess. You expect a book about "upper" society to be pretentious but this bordered on ridiculous and obnoxious. I will not be reading the authors again.

Want to read something fun, witty, enjoyable, and actually hard to put down? Then try the Stephanie Plum s
Alexa
Just the ticket - I like my books on CD to be short and sweet or I lose the plot (I only listen while stuck in Los Angeles traffic). This was frothy fun in four quick CD's. The best aspect for me was the narrator, Barbara Rosenblat, who I know from all the Goldy Schultz mysteries. I grew tired of the Goldy books and her voice, so I was a bit apprehensive about listening to this. She's actually a hoot with the right material, and probably did a good two dozen voices (my favorite was the Hispanic ...more
Mackenzie
Apr 14, 2009 Mackenzie rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, 2009
I finally finished this novel! Although it isn't altogether that long I just found it so hard to get into. The first 100 to 150 pages were just so boring. It was such a bore to get through the first half of the novel, because it detailed society, and I just found what was said was soo boring. But once I was near the 200th page I was so intrigued as to how the book was going to play out :). I recommend this novel if you're stubborn enough to continue reading a book even when it's downright boring ...more
Vickie
Sep 15, 2008 Vickie rated it liked it
This was written by Carrie Karasyov and Jill Kargman two authors who also wrote Wolves in Sheeps Clothing.
Although I enjoyed the book, I wouldn't say it was up there with my all time favorites, but it was enjoyable.It was snarky, witty and some of the characters were way over the top. Maria, the Latina janitor turned
If this book is a true portrayal of NYC high society then count me in as someone who is very glad to be a normal everyday, middle of the road woman.
Marty Farley
Apr 26, 2015 Marty Farley rated it did not like it
Hoping for a escapist, slightly biting look into the world of the rich, this was instead a dull, overly-obvious and painfully written book. Story lines and characters were added and dropped at random, and there was so little to distinguish main characters from each other even devising snotty nicknames for them didn't work. I always figured the rich live in a different world from the rest of us, but I never realized that world was 2-dimensional.
Emi
Jun 15, 2007 Emi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fashionistas/Society Voyeurs
Shelves: fashionistas
This book makes you glad not to live in New York “society”. It is a voyeuristic look at the ladies who lunch. The good the bad and the ugly are all reveled through the eyes of an outsider and the ultimate insider. It was a great book right up until it was all tied up in a tidy karma laced bow at the end. As nice as it is to think that good always prevails over evil the ending was far to contrived for the rest of the story.
BCoats(gov)
Dec 29, 2014 BCoats(gov) rated it liked it
I did find this somewhat interesting. Especially for thinking about the mindset behind the actions. I thought the actions were exagerated, but interesting in a strange way, nevertheless. The very fact that someone thought that this was something to write about was interesting. Novels of manners are always interesting as to time and place.
Kim Dempsey
Aug 13, 2014 Kim Dempsey rated it liked it
I listened to this book on tape. It was a fun read. High society ladies always make me laugh. It was funny and light. The ending was nice and put everything into perspective and all the ladies into their place. I fell in love with Melanie and Arthur from the start. Melanie was perfect and held her own against the bitter, drama of caddy women.
Kristine (fezabel)
I didn't see a plot or a point to this book. It's incessant whining about rich people's 'lives' as the Social Elite of Manhattan. Plus, it has lines in it like 'She burgled his breath right out of his lungs.' The authors try way too hard for catty and end up sounding jealous. It was a total waste of time to read.
Samantha
May 07, 2015 Samantha rated it liked it
This was a fun, guilty pleasure read. A lighthearted glimpse into the lives of a half dozen NYC socialites and the insecurities they grapple with while being members of their social scene. This was enjoyable to read during finals week; a good poolside book that you don't have to concentrate or invest too much effort into in order to enjoy.
Karyn
Jun 16, 2008 Karyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the dual-authored work of fiction. I have no idea what this book is about, but I didn't say I disliked it when I annotated my yearly reading list back in 2004, so I guess I'm leaving it with two stars here...
Sarah Wilczek
Dec 06, 2009 Sarah Wilczek rated it did not like it
Was looking for a "chic-lit" book. I had read Wolves in Chic Clothing by the same author a few years ago and liked it, but this book was hard to get into until the last 50 pages or so. I found the book rather annoying for the most part.
Kara
Mar 14, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book. The first time was about 8 years ago and it was such a fun read. I needed a simple, funny, girly-girl book to read so I picked this up at the library for a second read. It was definitely worth it.
Delaine
Jul 25, 2010 Delaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was fabulous! It was a lot like The Real Housewives of New York, only more sinister and much, much better. While there is a good plot, it's the snappy dialogue and hilariously spoiled characters that make this book so great. It's a really fun read.
Meg
Nov 13, 2008 Meg marked it as to-read
this book didn't get great reviews but thats cuz all the people that wrote reviews don't like books like this..... (mean, snotty people that live in NYC) but w/e. i find them really funny and sorta unrealistic.... but very fun to read although they have no meaning whatsoever =)
Charlie
Feb 24, 2016 Charlie rated it liked it
Shelves: mannerpunk, humour
I liked this. Which surprised me, but I liked this. There are some horrendous racial stereotypes, which is why I only give it three stars, but the structure was fun, there were some unexpected twists, and if you're interested in fancy New York, then this is a good one to read.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
in the vein of wolves in chic clothing... i enjoyed it. the lives of the rich people in new york city are so beyond me it feels like reading a fantasy novel instead of regular old fiction. great writing team.
Donna Jones
Jan 28, 2012 Donna Jones rated it it was ok
Got it as an audiobook for $2 so can't complain. It got a little tiring and irritating to hear the socialites gossip on and on and care so much about things that don't matter & little about what does, but all and all it was ok.
Dru
Apr 08, 2011 Dru rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I picked up this book hoping for a fun chick lit to kick back with. Instead after 30 pages, I kicked it to the curb (okay not literally). But it felt so superficial and I just couldn't bring myself to keep on reading it.
  • The Botox Diaries
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • A Match Made on Madison
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • Rescue Me
Best-selling author Carrie Doyle (Karasyov) latest books are DEATH ON WINDMILL WAY and DEATH ON LILY POND LANE, the first two books of the HAMPTONS MURDER MYSTERY SERIES.

Carrie was born in New York City and majored in Russian Language and Literature at Barnard College. She was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Russian edition of Marie Claire.

Carrie and former schoolmate Jill Kargman collaborate
More about Carrie Doyle Karasyov...