Start by marking “Starting Over” as Want to Read:
Starting Over

Starting Over

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,179 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Robin Pilcher, bestselling author of An Ocean Apart returns readers to contemporary Scotland, where the "simple" life has grown somewhat more complicated, but the shortest distance between lonely hearts will always be love...

Sometimes The Hardest Thing In Life...
Liz Dewhurst has witnessed quite a bit in her thirty-seven years: the birth of her son, the death of her mother,
Published January 20th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Over

Teresa
So here's the thing....there is nothing great about this book. In fact, it's very mediocre. It's a light, quick read, not particularly well-written, it's sentimental, sappy and the premise is highly improbable. But I LOVE this book. Why? Simply because it made me feel good. After I read it I didn't read anything else for a couple of days because I wanted the feeling to last. I never had that feeling before and I haven't had it since. I don't keep many books, but this one I kept because I want to ...more
Jesi
Liz Dewhurst was born and raised on a farm in rural Scotland, near the iconic St. Andrew’s Golf Course. When her husband publically runs off with another woman, Liz and her son move across the fields and into the farm owned by her father. Unfortunately, the neighboring farms are tied together financially and both are sinking fast. When developers offer to purchase the land for a new golf course development, it has the potential for bailing the family out, but at the expense of losing the land th ...more
Ferne
Added above the title are the words, "rediscover the power of family, friends, and love...". Robin Pilcher shares his story with rich descriptions of his beloved Scotland and a warmth and thoughtfulness to each character he introduces into the storyline. The characters come alive to the extent that I wish I could go and spend some time with them. I would especially love to have some girl talk with Liz and Annabelle. For someone that loves golf, they might be thrilled to spend some time with Robe ...more
Chimi
Jan 09, 2014 Chimi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
First & a few more pages made me feel that it's just not my type. Then i got the grip and the way Liz dealt with her broken marriage followed by the death of her mother had made me put myself in her shoes & reflect how i would have reacted.To me if someone walks out you just close the door behind them. However, her actions taught me there is a lot more to consider than your impulsive actions. All in all, with the unexpected twist in the end it was worth reading especially for yet-to -be- ...more
Lorraine
This is a lovely book about getting over the bad things that happen to us and learning to know yourself again. Liz Craig is a woman whose husband has left here for another woman. She lives with her 18 year old son and her father on a farm in Scotland. The farming business is a losing proposition and a local group has opted to buy her farm, and her husband's farm, to build a golf course. She is very opposed to this, but has no choice but to sell. Then an unexpected chance of a trip to Spain gives ...more
Melissa
yawwwwwnnnnnnnnn. Too much detail about farming, could not hold my interest.
Carlin
I really enjoyed this except that the ending was somewhat of a let down. However, I'm moving on to his next one.
Karen
This is a good story with a lot of imagery. The character that felt the most true to me was the grandfather, Nathaniel Craig. His actions and motivations felt consistent with the life he'd lived. His grandson Alex was also drawn well. The other characters were a little puzzling for me in that they made choices and behaved in ways that were the exact opposite of where they seemed to be headed. The scenery is lush and the good descriptions of the locales allows the reader to be present there. It i ...more
Virginia Markhart
I liked that the book was based in Scotland. Nice lingo. It was a good story. Kind of dragy in places. The main woman was recently separated from her cheating husband. Went off on a vacation with a professor friend and had a brief fling with the professor's son. hm. He farther was a prominent figure in the book also. He also got into the romance scene with a golfer woman who had recently lost her father. Some interesting scenes. I like the laziness. Then again I got bored with it as well.
Pbwritr
By the son of Rosamunde Pilcher! Quite amazing! And a very good, heartwarming book for a man to have written. I understand better about "showing"--and it's using the action verbs, it seems to me. The author skillfully uses a number of coincidences--people arriving from Australia or in Spain--to create new and lasting relationships and to solve a major problem--the financing of the golf course. Of course, we had no idea Roberta was rich--we thought all along she was frumpy. A very good book.
Carrie
I want to give this book 3 1/2 stars. I really liked the scenery in this book: Scotland and Spain are both described beautifully, and I feel as if I were there. I like the characters too. The story line, about a family whose farm is being pursued by developers to be turned into a golf course, fell a bit short to me. I felt like the book ended too soon with two many ideas unexplored. However the beautiful writing did a lot to make up for that.
JayeL
Jan 25, 2011 JayeL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This book was ok. I liked it because it has elements of Rosamunde Pilcher's writing in it. The characters are similar, but the sentences are not as carefully constructed and the descriptions tended to make my mind wander. I liked the story and thought the ending was a good one - not a typical and expected fiction ending.
Yang Shu-yuan
Kurzbeschreibung
Inmitten weiter Felder an der Ostküste Schottlands liegt die Farm, um deren Erhalt Liz seit Monaten kämpft. Erst als Arthur in ihr Leben tritt, nehmen die Dinge eine unerwartete Wende. Ein spannendes Buch, zum Weinen und zum Lachen schön. -- Dieser Text bezieht sich auf eine vergriffene oder nicht verfügbare Ausgabe dieses Titels.
Dera
THIS BOOK STARTING OVER IS QUITE AN INSPIRATION, IT TAKES UPON THE MAIN CHARACTER TO DO SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY, HER MARRIAGE IS AT ITS ZENITH, HER FATHERS LAND IS ABOUT TO BE SOLD, HER SON DISLIKES HER. SHE FEELS LIKE HER LIFE IS ABOUT TO END. UNTIL SHE TAKES A TRIP TO.........
ILL LET YOU READ THE BOOOK !
Mary-Frances
Cute book, like the characters a lot - downside? Well, the author goes off on tangents with TOO much description and he LOVES big words.
In all honestly, if I want to read a wordy book, I'd go back to the classics. I like my nice romances simple. Is this too much to ask?
Meg
Read in Polish.
Kw
Nicely written, made me wish I could be in Scotland a while! The characters are interesting, but I was a bit put off by the suggestion that an extra-marital affair could be good for a failing marriage. What poppycock!!
Still, a good read.
Debby
I really enjoyed his first book, An Ocean Apart. Starting Over was just as well-written, with a great cast of characters and was a very engaging story. I'm looking forward to reading the other 3 books he has published.
Sue
Liz lives near St Andrews in Scotland. An American firm want to build a golf course on her land. Not the normal setting for a novel, but it's a great book of endings and beginnings, lovely characters, and very believable.
Vikki
This is a very good book written by Rosamunde Pilcher's son. This story takes place in Scotland. A woman is cheated on by her husband which divides the family farms. This was a great book. I am sorry its over.
Sue
It took me a few chapters to get into the book. This always happens when new characters are being introduced in each chapter. Once I was into the book, it was a nice read, similar in style to Maeve Binchy.
Pamela
A long the lines of his mother Rosamunde, and Maeve Binchy, this is a light, slice of life book of ordinary people brought to a point in their lives where some decisions have to be made. A nice summer read.
Sueij
Another enjoyable fluffy book. I don't think there was anything wildly special about it, but I kept wanting to pick it up and follow the lives of the family it centers around.
jackie
Charming relaxing read. Do we sell the farm to make way for a golf course and start life anew after our husband has an affair with another woman? Just pleasant!
Jennifer Kujath
Took me longer to read because I'm back at work, but it still wasn't that great. It was pretty predictable and didn't give me that must be reading feeling.
Blackhams
I've read books by his mother and enjoyed them. This was a good story set in Scotland. Somewhat predictable, but still good. I would read him again.
Ally
I struggled to keep reading this book. It was ok but not good enough to entice me to finish it. I got about a quarter the way through in 3 weeks.
Paulette
Recommendation by a friend. I hadn't read any books by this author. Too predictable and "happy ever after".
Linda
Similar to his mother's books but with a masculine flair. Set in Scotland, Spain and Australia.
Lauren
Another light summer read...Liked it, but it didn't make me think all that much. :)
  • Snow In April
  • A Week in Winter
  • The Return Journey
  • Everything to Gain
  • Looking Back
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Colony
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
Robin Pilcher was born on 10 August 1950, the eldest son of author Rosamunde Pilcher, née Scott (aka Jane Fraser) and Graham Hope Pilcher, also he had a brother and two sisters. He has been a cameraman, a songwriter, and a farmer, co-managed a mail order business, and has had numerous other jobs. He lives with his wife and children near Dundee, Scotland, and in the Sierra de Aracena mountain area ...more
More about Robin Pilcher...
An Ocean Apart. Robin Pilcher The Long Way Home A Risk Worth Taking Starburst An Ocean Apart/ Starting Over