Start by marking “The Hidden Words” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Words

Read Book* *Different edition

The Hidden Words

This exquisitely produced special edition is the perfect gift for those seeking comfort, encouragement or inspiration.
Published October 12th 2004 by One World (UK) (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Words

Justice
Dec 03, 2013 Justice rated it it was amazing
If I could only read one book for the rest of my life, this would be it. It claims to be the essence of all Divinely revealed truth "clothed in the garment of brevity." Whether you believe that or not, you will find comfort, insight and guidance that rises above the level of intellect, theology and dogma to speak directly to your soul. It is the modern equivalent of the Psalms, Proverbs and the Beatitudes rolled into one.
Meditating on it will make you feel better, and help you become a better p
Tricia Hague-Blackford
Sep 07, 2007 Tricia Hague-Blackford added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a handbook for life. You need no other book at all. This Holy Book is a worthwhile companion to be carried with you at all times. It teaches how us how to live a worthy life of service to mankind. Well worth a read, and meditation. These small verses have been sung, chanted, read, and quoted by many diverse people of different backgrounds.
Kobina Fynn
Dec 03, 2013 Kobina Fynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baha-i
Wonderful, inspiring book by the Founder of the Baha'i Faith; divine Scripture. It is above rating.
Brian
This small book was one of the two works of actual Baha'i scripture, set down by the founder of the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah, which showed me a brief, if profound, sample of the spirit and wisdom this Faith is founded on.
This book as well at "Gleanings From the Writings of Baha'u'llah" gave me an accurate overview of the spiritual writings. If you want to investigate truth for yourself,(a fundamental Baha'i principle), look at the scriptures of a religion to find out what the founder was abou
Jonathan Widell
Aug 26, 2012 Jonathan Widell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bahá-í-faith
The Hidden Words consists of short utterances written by Bahá'u'lláh, the founder of the Bahá'í Faith. I guess this is not the place to even begin to analyze the text. I can only describe the experience by using adjectives such as sublime, majestic, resplendent, exalted and so on.
Joseph
Jun 06, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Like the Bible met philosophy 101. Still mulling this one over.
Carlos Arboleda
Aug 02, 2007 Carlos Arboleda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All wayferers on the Spiritual Journey
The Essence of the Divine Decrees Since the beginning.
Stosch
Oct 29, 2016 Stosch rated it liked it
short book, would be better without the thy, thine, thee, thou olde english vernacular. very repetitive. god is amazing, seek god, be one with this omnipotent god and everything will be hunky dorry... not a good book. ill give his other books a chance though. i personally dont believe in a god like this, to me this just seems like self esteem training, be one with god and youll get what u want or bear tragedies because they arent tragedies at all and its actually mercy, i do kinda like that ...more
Nick
Sep 09, 2016 Nick rated it did not like it
Not a fan. It just doesn't have much to offer me. The vision of God here is very anthropomorphic and Abrahamic in the way he speaks about himself, demanding love and worship, issuing pompous commands etc and claiming to be distinct and apart from the universe. It doesnt have the passion and love of Sufi poetry, nor the high intellectual mysticism of the Upanishads. It reads to me like a bunch of bland Unitarian aphorisms. There are a few good lines here and there, but mostly its just highly ...more
Oct 07, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A great book to read, morning and night. I like to read one Hidden Word in the morning, contemplate it and attempt to apply it each day.

Copies can be found at Baha'i centers or Houses of Worship. They can also be purchased for a little over $5, $22 and $11, respectively at the US Baha'i Publishing Trust. (There are publishing trusts in other countries as well).

Josh
Jun 05, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It details a vital piece of U.S. military history one it which the NAjao culture and the U.S. Government war machine cooperated and excelled. If only all Indian and US history was such a success.

As a service-member I enjoyed the book. As a New Mexican I enjoyed the book and understood his descriptions of the landscape.

If you are a fan of military history, or native culture or biographies this will be an educational and enjoyable book.
Diana Bliss
Mar 28, 2014 Diana Bliss rated it it was amazing
I have listed Hidden Words as 'to read' even though I've read it so many times I've lost count. The simple truth is that no matter how many times we read these truths we always learn something new. The Hidden Words is an essential part of my growth as a human being and as a Baha'i.
Ian
Aug 05, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it
A collection of aphorisms by the Persian religious leader Baha'u'llah. Many of them are quite lovely and resonate very well with the teachings of Jesus; others are more obscure and mysterious in their import.
Omid Mankoo
Jan 24, 2012 Omid Mankoo rated it it was amazing
Meet your Lord, and see what he has to say in thse revelatory words of wisdom. You cannot help but be uplifted, soothed and felt secure in its exposition.
No_doubt
No_doubt rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Jesse Mcbride
Jesse Mcbride rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Erinn
Erinn rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Michael Robinson
Michael Robinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Betty Foerster
Betty Foerster rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Suzan
Suzan rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2009
Goleta
Goleta rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2011
Even
Even rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Muluye Fanta
Muluye Fanta rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2008
Earle
Earle rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Marcie Longo
Marcie Longo rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014
Shamsi Modarai
Shamsi Modarai rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2011
Stefan Back
Stefan Back rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Leslie Farrell
Leslie Farrell rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Some Answered Questions
  • The Dawn Breakers: Nabil's Narrative
  • God Passes By
  • Thief in the Night
  • Baha'u'llah and the New Era: An Introduction to the Baha'i Faith
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Practical Mysticism
  • In Tune with the Infinite
  • The Transcendent Unity of Religions
  • The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
  • The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer: The Art, Science, and Philosophy of a Bodybuilding Legend
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East
  • Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation
  • Vibrational Medicine: The #1 Handbook of Subtle-Energy Therapies
  • God Is a Verb
  • Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing
  • Martin Luther King, Jr., on Leadership: Inspiration and Wisdom for Challenging Times
  • The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves
Born in 1817, Bahá'u'lláh was a member of one of the great patrician families of Persia. The family could trace its lineage to the ruling dynasties of Persia's imperial past, and was endowed with wealth and vast estates. Turning His back on the position at court which these advantages offered Him, Bahá'u'lláh became known for His generosity and kindliness which made Him deeply loved among His ...more
More about Bahá'u'lláh...

“Out of the wastes of nothingness, with the clay of My command I made thee to appear, and have ordained for thy training every atom of existence and the essence of all created things.” 9 likes