Notes from the Underground & The Gambler (Oxford World's Classics)
read book* *Different edition

Notes from the Underground & The Gambler (Oxford World's Classics)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  25 reviews
One of the most profound and disturbing works of nineteenth-century literature, Notes from the Underground is a probing and speculative work, often regarded as a forerunner to the Existentialist movement. The Gambler explores the compulsive nature of gambling, one of Dostoevsky's own vices and a subject he describes with extraordinary acumen and drama. Both works are new t...more
Published January 18th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA

Jonathan

At the end of last year I finally completed another one of my life reading goals. That is to say I finished the classic Crime and Punishment. Having found this masterpiece to be a fascinating piece of literature I decided that I would have to tackle another work of Dostoyevsky's and so when I stumbled upon Notes from the Underground and The Gambler at my library I picked up the volume and began to read.

There is something about the nature of suffering that the classic Russian authors seem to unde...more
Seth Kupchick
I'm wary to even write about Dostoevsky because he's one of those novelists that gets discussed to gauge one's depth and it's almost like his work has become secondary to his name, at least for my generation, and I don't feel like namedropping on 'goodreads,' just to score some political points. These were the first Dostoevsky novels I read probably because they were shorter than "Crime and Punishment," "The Brothers Karamazov," and "The Idiot," but I'm being harsh on myself, because I think any...more
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2008 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Recommended to Cheryl by: tommy
The more I read this, the more I can identify with the narrator. He's not crazy at all, just too conscious. And, like he mentions in the first couple of pages, it's an illness.
Timothy Brown
since kierkegaard came more then a century before this it's not "a forerunner of existentialism", but it is amazing!
Crishell
“Notes from the Underground” is that classic bad-ass and social angst short fiction of Dostoyevsky. When you’re starting to feel hate against the world at one point, give yourself some time-off, this is a very good companion. You might at the end consider staying there the rest of your life like the nameless underground man, but are you up to tormenting yourself and abandon everything else because there’s no better feeling than remorse? The underground man is one of the many typical neurotic, se...more
David Williamson
This is the third time I’ve read Notes From Underground, the first two times I felt it was a book full of great lines (‘Man is the ungrateful biped’) and ideas but as a whole difficult and disjointed. However, this time around I found I had not read it with the right perspective or plain didn’t get it the first two times. The book still jars in places, this I think is due to the structure of how it is written; how does one write a madman’s soliloquy over a 100 pages long without getting into som...more
Lucinda
Well, there is nothing I can say about Dostoevsky that others haven't said many times over, but these two stories are so provoking that I feel like I have to write something...
I'm not sure at what point you realise that the man from the underground is pretty unhinged. maybe 10 pages in, maybe less. He starts out with an extended argument about the human will being the central element of human life as opposed to reason (the basic existential position). And it kind of makes sense, but he goes on a...more
Jeremiah Tillman
second time around reading this. I finished it some time ago but didn't get around to writing something about it. Yet one question remains. I understand that the underground man is a "sick" man, yet what is the impetus for his sickness? Is it that he realizes his position in society or that he recognizes that only interpretation stands in regard to how one should live 'the good life'? And ultimately, is his sickness similar to the hyperbolic actions and thought he expresses throughout the novel?
Scottsdale Public Library
Dos’ breakthrough short novel is confessional, raw, and naked. Taking place in the author’s own city of St. Petersburg, Russia, it reads more like a diary than a story. Broken into 2 distinct parts, the first confronts and challenges the reader on fronts political, moral, and ethical. Part II follows The Underground Man through a journey of self-effacing revelation.

-Rob W.-
Phillip
This was OK. But, I might find that I really like it if I were to read it again. It is Dostoyevsky, after all.

"Notes from the Underground" is an experimental piece in two parts. One part is the character's journal entry describing a disastrous day in which he meet with some school mates as a reunion. The second part tells the same story in 3rd person narrative.
Lauryn
Aaah, I have not started Gambler, but am still on Underground... very dark indeed. The underground man is disturbed for sure, and he's analyzing the human mind and reasoning to the point where everything is (to my mind) going in circles. But that's how we think sometimes, anyways.
Maya Rock
Kind of trippy. The arc of this reminded me of Good Morning, Midnight. I just loved it. The paranoid, socially inept narrator, and lust for attention and dignity of a world he scorns. Fun. Short.

Oh I haven't read the Gambler, just NOTES.
Tadeo
This is my favourite novel ever. The knowledge Dostoievski's got on the depths of the human mind leaves me at awe everytime I read him. With all due respect, Freud doesn't have shit on Dostoievski.
Benjamin
The Underground Man. Good god, what a pathetic individual. I think Dostoevsky almost built him TOO well, because it was really hard to keep reading.
Chris Johnson
his constant back and forth use of words made me tired and mad. i got to page 38 and wanted to shoot myself. not my kind of read.
Brendan
A shorter novel by the D man. Decent. Up there with Crime and Punishment as a good place to start if you want to read Dostoevsky.
Nolan
I quoted this book extensively before reading it, and finishing it took nothing away from its brilliance.
Lisa
Dec 08, 2013 Lisa marked it as to-read
Tried to get through 'Notes' once in college between terms, but it exhausted me. I need to renew my efforts.
Dionne
Rating this for formality's sake but this was nothing quite like anything I've read before.
Brajesh Singh
I love the writing style of Dostoyevsky. I am liking this novel.
Ben Page
Notes From Underground - Amazing.
The Gambler - Amazing.
Onder Cetin
I did not read the Gambler but Notes was thought provoking!
Erin
existential and depressing... but, so good!
Ahmed Alaa
Dostoevsky leaves me in ruins.
Peter Mathews
Katie
Katie added it
Jul 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Assaf Ovadia
Assaf Ovadia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Reyna
Reyna marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Happy Moscow
  • Rudin
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: Selected Tales
  • The Queen of Spades and Other Stories
  • Pot-Bouille (Les Rougon-Macquart, #10)
  • The Gentleman from San Francisco and Other Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • The Line
  • The Prussian Officer and Other Stories
  • Tolstoy
  • Nikolai Gogol
  • U and I
  • Conquered City
  • My Past and Thoughts: The Memoirs of Alexander Herzen
  • Collected Novels
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death...more
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...
Crime and Punishment The Brothers Karamazov The Idiot Notes from Underground Demons

“Whatever distinguishes one lump of flesh from another when we're alive, we're all the same once we're dead. Just used-up shells.” 6 likes