Start by marking “Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy” as Want to Read:
Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy

Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy

Joshua Chamberlain was much more than a war hero, and Pullen's thoughtful book fills out the picture of his remarkable life. An entertaining and inspiring story. --Senator George J. Mitchell
Published May 1st 1999 by Stackpole Books (first published April 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Joshua Chamberlain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joshua Chamberlain

Jeff
Jun 30, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
After visiting the battlefield of Gettysburg, and then reading the book, 'Killer Angels' I became interested in learning more about the life of Joshua Chamberlain. There seems to be an endless series of heroic stories about this man during his Civil War years, and I wanted to know more about the man behind the stories. This book perfectly filled that desire.

Rather than sharing a narrative of Chamberlain's life, the book presents a series of events (not necessarily in chronological order) that il
Mahlon
Jan 03, 2010 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chamberlain fans, Civil War buffs
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
Thanks to the novel "The Killer Angels" and the movie "Gettysburg" that was based upon it, the Civil War exploits of Joshua Chamberlain are well known. However, the details of his post-war life remain unknown to most. He served as Governor of his home state of Maine from 1867-1871, and as President of Bowdoin college(where he had been a Professor before the war) from 1871-1883. Later in life Chamberlain served as Surveyor of the Port of Portland, Maine. In this short, but insightful volume, ...more
William
Jan 05, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
One of the great unsung heroes of America's past. Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Main as seen in the great film "Gettysburg". However Chamberlain's life after that great battle only just begun and there were many adventures in store for this amazing American. I loved this book!
Matthew Dambro
Nov 24, 2016 Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
Pullen wrote the definitive history of the 20th Maine back in the 1970s. He is a master of his craft and clearly has deep affection and respect for Colonel Chamberlain. JLC was the Audie Murphy of the Civil War. He embodied everything that was good and decent and brave about the American citizen soldier of the 19th Century. We need more like him now in this current struggle with Islamic Terrorism.
Gerry
Feb 28, 2014 Gerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This book is a very good first book for a person to read if they think they want to read more about this man. He led a very interesting and ethical life. Chamberlain dies in 1914 before the "Great War" begins in Europe and 3 years away before the USA enters the war. He becomes sort of lost to American History as a result of the First World War and Second World War. He emerges in the late 1940s and 1950s as a point of interesting history based on his stance in Gettysburg and then of course we ...more
Jim Bouchard
Dec 31, 2010 Jim Bouchard rated it it was amazing
This is the entire story from Chamberlain's modest upbringing to his heroic actions in the Civil War to his continued service to the State of Maine.

Chamberlain is a leader that all leaders should study and Pullen shows us the human side- including personal flaws that allow us to identify with him as a man.

Whether you're a Civil War buff, a student of leadership or ethics or simply someone who wants to learn a little more about courage and daily decision making this is a powerful read.
Marlena
Dec 25, 2014 Marlena rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
It was informative. But not quite what I was looking for. I was hoping to know more about chamberlains before the war life. It was interesting to see the later stuff. But the book was just ok for me.
Russ
Aug 07, 2015 Russ rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Most of what is written about Chamberlain deals with his war exploits. This book dealt with his life after the war. I enjoyed it.
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Hilary Evans
Hilary Evans rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2008
Alma Angotti
Alma Angotti rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2009
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Ellen-Ann Suchy
Ellen-Ann Suchy rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Don
Don rated it really liked it
May 11, 2012
Pburgh
Pburgh rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Bart
Bart rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Cori Whittaker
Cori Whittaker rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Tammy Dotts
Tammy Dotts rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2009
John Horn
John Horn rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2011
Sue Nall
Mar 07, 2012 Sue Nall rated it it was amazing
What a hero! I loved the book!
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2010
Sitkenai
Sitkenai rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Justin
Jun 15, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Pullen's convinced me: this dude abides.
David