Start by marking “Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy” as Want to Read:
Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy

Joshua Chamberlain: A Hero's Life and Legacy

Joshua Chamberlain was much more than a war hero, and Pullen's thoughtful book fills out the picture of his remarkable life. An entertaining and inspiring story. --Senator George J. Mitchell
Published May 1st 1999 by Stackpole Books (first published April 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Joshua Chamberlain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joshua Chamberlain

Jeff
Jun 30, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
After visiting the battlefield of Gettysburg, and then reading the book, 'Killer Angels' I became interested in learning more about the life of Joshua Chamberlain. There seems to be an endless series of heroic stories about this man during his Civil War years, and I wanted to know more about the man behind the stories. This book perfectly filled that desire.

Rather than sharing a narrative of Chamberlain's life, the book presents a series of events (not necessarily in chronological order) that il
Mahlon
Nov 04, 2009 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chamberlain fans, Civil War buffs
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
Thanks to the novel "The Killer Angels" and the movie "Gettysburg" that was based upon it, the Civil War exploits of Joshua Chamberlain are well known. However, the details of his post-war life remain unknown to most. He served as Governor of his home state of Maine from 1867-1871, and as President of Bowdoin college(where he had been a Professor before the war) from 1871-1883. Later in life Chamberlain served as Surveyor of the Port of Portland, Maine. In this short, but insightful volume, Pull ...more
William
Jan 05, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
One of the great unsung heroes of America's past. Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Main as seen in the great film "Gettysburg". However Chamberlain's life after that great battle only just begun and there were many adventures in store for this amazing American. I loved this book!
Gerry
Feb 28, 2014 Gerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This book is a very good first book for a person to read if they think they want to read more about this man. He led a very interesting and ethical life. Chamberlain dies in 1914 before the "Great War" begins in Europe and 3 years away before the USA enters the war. He becomes sort of lost to American History as a result of the First World War and Second World War. He emerges in the late 1940s and 1950s as a point of interesting history based on his stance in Gettysburg and then of course we kno ...more
Marlena
Dec 25, 2014 Marlena rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
It was informative. But not quite what I was looking for. I was hoping to know more about chamberlains before the war life. It was interesting to see the later stuff. But the book was just ok for me.
Jim Bouchard
Dec 31, 2010 Jim Bouchard rated it it was amazing
This is the entire story from Chamberlain's modest upbringing to his heroic actions in the Civil War to his continued service to the State of Maine.

Chamberlain is a leader that all leaders should study and Pullen shows us the human side- including personal flaws that allow us to identify with him as a man.

Whether you're a Civil War buff, a student of leadership or ethics or simply someone who wants to learn a little more about courage and daily decision making this is a powerful read.
Russ
Aug 07, 2015 Russ rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Most of what is written about Chamberlain deals with his war exploits. This book dealt with his life after the war. I enjoyed it.
Ruth
Dec 26, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
THIS was a man.
Justin
Jun 15, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Pullen's convinced me: this dude abides.
Sue Nall
Mar 07, 2012 Sue Nall rated it it was amazing
What a hero! I loved the book!
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Ashley Wright
Ashley Wright is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Pvt. Ambrose
Pvt. Ambrose marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
jnwldn
jnwldn marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Jim Hart
Jim Hart rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ian Miller
Ian Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Gail A. Hammond
Gail A. Hammond is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2016
Rose
Rose added it
Jan 30, 2016
Stephanie Clarke
Stephanie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Jon Rupinski
Jon Rupinski marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Vicki Liebowitz
Vicki Liebowitz rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Curt
Curt marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015