Start by marking “Kiss Me While I Sleep” as Want to Read:
Kiss Me While I Sleep

Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,722 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
Efficient and unapologetic, Lily Mansfield is a hired assassin working as a contract agent for the CIA. Her targets are the powerful and corrupt, those who can't be touched by the law.

Now Lily is playing a deadly, unauthorized game, seeking her own vengeance, compromising her superiors and endangering her life. Fellow CIA agent Lucas Swain's orders: either bring her in or
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Me While I Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Me While I Sleep

Kyraryker

“I love you, too,” she said in a somber tone. “I think. I’m pretty sure, though. It’s scary, isn’t it?”
“Damn terrifying.” He dropped the pen he’d been using to figure the square footage of the rooms and turned in his chair so he could haul her down onto his lap. “I thought we’d just have some fun together; then the next thing I knew I was worrying if you ate enough for breakfast. You’re like a Stealth bomber. My radar never showed a blip.” He frowned down at her.
“Don’t look at me,” sh
Lady Heather

This is the third and final book in the John Medina Series.

All I can say is WOW! What an AMAZING ride this story was.

This is the story of Lily Mansfield, a contract killer for the CIA. She was recruited at the young age of 18 and is now 37 years old. Everything she has done, she has done for her Country. She never once questioned who she was sanctioned to kill because she believed that if she was asked to kill somebody, then it was necessary for her to kill them.... and that was all she needed
Linda
Not quite 3 stars.

KISS ME WHILE I SLEEP was the third book in the 'CIA's Spies' series but was a mediocre 'ending'. Like some of Ms. Howard's other stories, there was a slow build-up. Necessary information, an explanation of Lily Mansfield's past and the introduction of a new setting. (view spoiler)

Lily Mansfield was a contracted agent (assassin/killer) with the CIA. She was
Karla
Sep 08, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this about 2 years ago and I loved it, especially the ending, I was holding my breath!! Lucas Swain...was to die for, his name should be Lucas SWOOOON! Lily was a kick-ass heroine and the sexual chemistry between the two of them was explosive.

Someday I'll do a re-read and write a better review. Every now and again I find a book that I read and don't have marked. Anyhoo...love LH!
Jonel Boyko
What a ride! Fast cars, exploding buildings, and an explosive romance: What’s not to love? Howard’s fast paced, active storytelling kept me hooked throughout. The plot also kept me on my toes. The entire ending was a surprise to me. I didn’t see any of it coming. Even aspects that I assumed would happen (because really, what’s a romance without the HEA) came about in ways that I would never have imagined. Not only was the story entertaining, but the narrators of the audio version held me hostage ...more
Marie-Jo Fortis
Okay, kiss me while I sleep if you want. But mostly wake me up when the novel gets better.

The plot is far more intriguing than the writing itself, which contains generic descriptions and depersonalized dialogues.

CIA professional killer Lily Mansfield (good choice of last name here) plots revenge on the family responsible for the death of her daughter and dear friends. After the first killing, nothing much moves, plot-wise or style-wise. I'll take static if the writing itself is the hero of the n
Jane Stewart
Sep 26, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much filler. Terrible ending. Retired CIA agents were hired to destroy a lab which had created a virus they planned to release on humans.

The owner of the lab, Salvatore, and the Doctor were able to continue the work after the explosion. Salvatore then killed the two agents and their daughter. Lily is a CIA agent who kills Salvatore as revenge for his murdering her friends. CIA then sends Lucas to kill her but Lucas helps her for awhile with her plans to destroy the lab. The best part of the
Ira
Apr 03, 2016 Ira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.25 stars.

Eventhought the heroine is an Assassin, somehow Ms. Howard able to make how sweet she was and made us like her very much.
When I thought about Lily, Glamorous, Lethal and Lovely came to my mind.
Smiling Lucas? Not really my hero's character choices but he was perfect for Lily.

Hm.. I check the publication year of this book, rather new compare with her other books because I think this is the first time I read her book where H/h using the Internet for some researching!:))

Btw, Li
Shambhawi P.
Jun 08, 2012 Shambhawi P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5 stars

I just have one complaint with the book - WHERE IS JOHN MEDINA?

Honestly i was hoping to get a bit of action from the super-spy, even if just a teensy bit. Not that the book wasn't good. It was awesome, maybe the best Linda Howard book I have read so far. The suspense kept me on the edge and the climax just blew my mind. Predictable, but Howard has a way with showing even the most predictable of endings with a thrill. Though I had guessed the ending correctly, i was still g
Lorraine
Jan 23, 2008 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult mystery-lovers
Recommended to Lorraine by: BPL Book Psychic
Shelves: listened-to
I liked this book for its varying POV narrations, its intricate plot, the extensiveness of plot (how the plot had several sections to it) and its epilogue. (Epilogues can be cheesy, but this one was very necessary!) Okay, sometimes the details given were too much (like what how they discarded papers they didn't need), and especially overly detailed sex-scenes that took the book from mystery/suspense to literary voyeurism (another word might work better here).(Aside: why don't books have ratings ...more
bookczuk
Feb 25, 2009 bookczuk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
This was really a rather wretched book. I read another book by this author that I actually enjoyed, so when I was able to pick this one up, I did so. Now I wish I'd left it where I found it. Sigh.

There was a little bit of interest regarding how to alter one's appearance and how to try and leave no trace of yourself in travel. But those spots of interest did not make up for the weak plot.
Preeti S

** spoiler alert **

Some random grousing and eye-rolling…

1. Why did the doc not note her contact lenses? She is a critical case of poisoning and any half qualified doc would wanna see her pupil size/shape and reaction to light. But this never happens. Of course how she keeps her contacts on for 3 whole days is another matter!!
And I am not mentioning hair roots here.

2. How did Damone get her number? Nobody knew it- neither CIA nor Interpol had any inkling where she was.

3. How come the h/H dint ev
D.G.
I'm giving two stars to this book because it was intellectually dishonest. Am I supposed to believe that a person who chooses to become an assassin for a living is a good person? I couldn't believe the justifications of the main character. She wasn't haunted by the lives she had taken because she hoped her government had made the right decision of killing only "bad guys." What an oversimplification!

If I ever found myself with the necessity of having a kill a person, I wouldn't trust anybody to m
Adelaide Silva
3,5* um trihler levezinho onde nem tudo o que parece é.
*Book-Lover*
Jan 20, 2014 *Book-Lover* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5-I Love Linda Howard Novels-stars!!

Yesterday, I was in such a bad book-rut! Picked up three books, and couldn't even get past the first few pages!! It was just didn't have a certain magic I wanted. Light on the suspense with, all the heroines seeming like walking nymphomaniacs with no brain cells whatsoever!

So since I didn't have any Kristen Ashley to bust me out, I turned to Linda Howard, and WHOOOO!!!!! I trusted Miss Howard's writing so much, I didn't even read the synopsis, just downloaded
MBR
Lily Mansfield is a woman hell bent on vengeance & revenge against the powerful Nervi organization operated in Paris. Seeking justice for the assassination of her close friends Tina and Averill (both of whom had previously being contract killers themselves) and their adopted daughter Zia who had actually been found abandoned and starving to death, by Lily on one of her jobs to Croatia. Since Lily’s life as a hired killer didn’t provide the most stable environment to raise a little girl, Lily ...more
Georgie
Mar 20, 2016 Georgie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: format-kindle
As other reviewers have remarked, it's good to see a female MC with real agency. I know very little about the life of a CIA agent working undercover in a foreign country - make that nothing - so the details imagined here are convincing. Neat little twist in the end, too.

But I found the long slow build-up frustrating: there's very little dialogue, or character development, so this didn't make it to 4 stars for me.
Amanda
I usually like to read about CIA agents and their espionage. But Kiss Me While I Sleep doesn't seems to hold my interest. The plot is too descriptive. I like to know what the characters are thinking in their head, but this is just too much. We read a lot about what the heroin 'planning' to do,'going'
to do and 'doing' it. This makes the plot move had such a slower pace because of the lengthy description. By 30% both the H/h had not even meet up yet and I already lose interest.
Irishgirl1247
I really enjoyed this but I wasn't feeling they last few pages. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I was expecting a big to do/reactions about everyones secrets coming out and well there wasn't, everyone handled it pretty well.But please don't be discouraged, I haven't read a lot of modern spy/assassin novels but this has inspired me to look into more.
Pamela(AllHoney)
I did not enjoy this as much as Linda Howard's other novels I've read. It was just a so-so read for me.
Mareli
May 25, 2014 Mareli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why a lot of people didn't like this book. I loved it.

Lily Mansfield is a CIA killer since she was 18. SHe decides to kill a man because he destroyed a couple of strict friends and their little girl. She did the killing but she remains with a defective valve in the heart.

In the meantime CIA is sending someone to resolve Lily "situation". Lucas Swain doesn't know Lily but they feel for each other since the very first time. Lucas will help Lily but he has his own agenda.

Very good, les
Carrie LS
thuy
Kath
Feb 04, 2009 Kath rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Audio version of this book is great. As usual Dick Hill and Joyce Bean both give brilliant performances portraying the characters.

Overall, I liked the story. I absolutely loved McCain. He was funny, somewhat sensitive, and very sexy. Lilly was also a very strong character and I loved that about her.

The storyline was very good with a few plot twists, but not over the top suspenseful. I have to say, I would have rated this as a 3 or a 3.5 if it weren't for the ending. It was disturbing how it too
Ian
Feb 19, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An experienced female assassin with a heart of gold, walks off the reservation one day and plinks the man who killed her only friends. CIA send in a Texan operator who has a penchant for fast and sexy cars to remind her that it's not a good idea to leave the reservation...did I mention he also has a heart of gold?
Anyway for someone who has been on the job for 20 years she seems to struggle with switching off and pulling the trigger. Presumably he's been on the job for a while as well so it's su
Amanda Sheila
It's a bit confusing and I can't connect with the characters. I mean, even though the kick at the end really got me, I hope the entire story give me the same kick. I don't like Lily's character. She's too "off" and I want to see her vulnerable sooner. But overall I enjoyed it, though not so much.

Could be better and I can't wait to read more from Linda Howard!
Kathleen
Great narration by Joyce Bean and Dick Hill, each playing the role of hero or heroine, Lucas Swain and Lily. However, the story itself gets about 3 stars. It was good, but not Howard's best. Suspenseful, sexy, and bittersweet, with the most abrupt ending EVER, a 180 plot twist, and a slow start to the relationship (but the suspense begins with a bang). The hero does not meet the heroine till about chapter 10. Too many pages are consumed with the minutia of planning and carrying out the bombing o ...more
Sandra
Muito bom! Gostei ainda mais do que o outro que li desta autora e gostei bastante do outro.

Muito bem escrito, com muita acção e romance pelo meio.
Consegui simpatizar com a Lily e gostei bastante da descrição do Lucas Swain

Só não dou as 4 estrelinhas porque achei que o reencontro final entre as 2 personagens principais (depois de todo aquele reboliço envolvendo bebidas drogadas, rapto, explosões, assassinatos a frio e afins) podia ter sido mais elaborado. Acho que ela aceitou-o sem restrições ne
LaFleurBleue
After the series of disappointment regarding the realism of the background, the story finally gets better. And after getting to know the hero, the heroine finally improves.
However I still believe the investigation/thriller aspects were on the poor side of what I like in my romantic suspense. The romance was not that fulfilling either, though there were some nice moments. And the characters critically lacked the likability factor, especially Lily.
At the end of the book and after the epilogue, I