Start by marking “Elsie's Holiday” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Holiday

Elsie's Holiday (Elsie Dinsmore #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Even though the yearning desire of young Elsie's heart is fulfilled, and she is spending her first joyous Christmas season with her beloved father, her idyllic holiday is brief, and her newfound contentment is about to be shaken to its very core. In her own understanding of total devotion to Jesus, Elsie must choose between obeying God by keeping the Sabbath day holy, or d ...more
Published July 25th 1993 by Mantle Ministries Press (first published January 1st 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Holiday

Holly
ELSIE'S HOLIDAYS AT ROSELANDS is the sequel to ELSIE DINSMORE. It brings our heroine, sugar-sweet Elsie, into direct conflict with her godless, domineering Papa. Elsie, as introduced in the first volume, is picture-perfect, a little Southern belle living in Virginia in the 1840's. Elsie seems the ideal Christian child...except for her owning slaves, who are referred to throughout the book as inferior beings. (Even Aunt Chloe, Elsie's beloved mammy, is called a "creature.") Elsie doesn't object t ...more
Ariel
The second book of the Elsie series was another great success! it especially touched my emotions much more deeply then the first. So much so that I found myself for the first time ever, while reading a book, on the verge of tears. It was a wonderful read and I'm very excited for the next one: Elsie's Girlhood.
Esther Filbrun
This is my most favorite book out of all the Elsie stories. Highly recommended. (Full review coming soon.)
Faith
Fantastic, classic writing, however I feel that the storyline was drawn out a bit too much perhaps. Martha Finley repeatedly used a few situations, and tho it fit her character, I feel that Elsie's crying and dramatic anguish was worked too much. It seemed as though she was always in a turmoil, and while she was, and she was young, I tired of hearing the same thing happening over and over. But that wasn't a big deal, and I really did like the book a lot. If you ever get sick of modern writing, t ...more
Jeanette
It was great. i can't remember much but I liked it very much.
Rachel
My 2 daughters have loved all of the Elsie books that they have read. The 17 yo says it's the saddest of the books, but she still couldn't put it down. She has learned a lot from Elsie's attitude and wants to have a stronger Christian testimony as a result. I'm very glad we own all of these books. I read somewhere that Martha Finley was a contemporary of Louise May Alcott, and sold nearly twice as many books as Alcott, but the strong Christian influence of these books allowed them to become lost ...more
Shoshana
Same old Elsie, same old dad. This picks up exactly where Book 1 left off (apparently they were originally published together), and the differences are small. My fervor against the books remains intact, as does my fervor against Elsie's father. Elsie, though? Now that I've had over a year to get used to her existence (and continued publication and popularity, which is what's always worried me more), I mostly just feel sorry for her.
Briana
I don't think it's a good sign that I started hoping desperately for Elsie's death...but at least then she could go to heaven, I would feel satisfied, and this series could end at 2 books, instead of 2,000!!! Seriously...there's almost no point to this whole series...
Rachel
I really like this series although it's a bit Calvinistic in its theology, and it's a bit uber-Christian; i.e., the Christians are really, really good and the non-Christians are really, really bad.
Jessica Diaz
It has been years since I read these books, but I will say that they are wonderful stories. The outlook on life that Elsie keeps dispite her circumstances can be a great lesson for any age.
Nicole G.
Still more didacticism. And some anti-Catholicism, too! Her dad is still a crazy person. However, I have to finish this series now, to see how much more wacky it gets . . .
Meadow
When Elsie's love for God causes conflict between her and her father. She will have to choose between her beloved earthy father or her heavenly father.
Britt-goodie of newsieness
I've read as much of this as I'm going to. I never want to read this again. It was awful. And boring. And horrible. And no food either.
Mecque
Being a Catholic myself, the climax of this book made me laugh hysterically. Amusingly melodramatic, and a good set up for the next book.
Grace
Oct 12, 2012 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Grace by: My father
It's been a really long time since I read this book, but as girl I really liked my Elsie Dinsmore books. Great classic books for girls.
Becca
Made me cry a WHOLE lot more than any other book I've read. Except maybe the first one. That's only a maybe though...
MaryRachel
Oct 30, 2008 MaryRachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked "Elsie Dinsmore"
This was a great book It was sad though :( But if you liked Elsie Dinsmore, you'll like Elsie's Holiday.
Darlene
read to my children while home schooling
Miriam
I learned to obey God's Word even in difficult circumstances.
aMandalin
Teaches patience and obedience to Christ and parents. Good book!
Mary Beth
Good read except for the strong antiCatholicism.
Anna
This one is so sad.
Partridge Public
Sep 06, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Fin
Shelves: juniorfiction
Finley, Martha
Red
Red is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Rachel added it
Apr 13, 2015
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
  • Mandie and the Charleston Phantom (Mandie Books, #7)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Pieces of Light
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Rebecca
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

Elsie Dinsmore (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • Elsie's Girlhood (The Original Elsie Classics #3)
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
  • Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)
  • Elsie's Children (The Original Elsie Classics #6)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • Elsie at Nantucket (The Original Elsie Classics #10)
  • The Two Elsies (The Original Elsie Classics #11)
Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1) Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1) Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #2) Elsie's New Life (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #3) Elsie's Stolen Heart (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #4)