Start by marking “The Wind in the Willows” as Want to Read:
The Wind in the Willows
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

The Wind in the Willows

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  96,676 ratings  ·  2,718 reviews
Perfect for gift-giving--a classic illustrated by Michael Hague, in a beautifully redesigned edition.

Kenneth Grahame originally wrote The Wind in the Willows to amuse his only son. It has become a classic tale of friendship and adventure, enjoyed by countless children around the world.
Published September 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1908)

J. Aleksandr Wootton
Trying to review The Wind in the Willows is a strange undertaking. In the introduction to my copy, A. A. Milne wrote:

"One can argue over the merits of most books... one does not argue about The Wind in the Willows. The young man gives it to the girl with whom he is in love, and if she does not like it, he asks her to return his letters. The old man tries it on his nephew, and alters his will accordingly. ... When you sit down to [read] it, don't be so ridiculous as to suppose you are sitting in
Anthony D Buckley
This book was written in 1908, when the world was being shaken by the newly self-confident masses. Women were propagandising for the vote; the Irish were demanding Home Rule; the Trade Unions were showing their strength. Socialism theatened. A spectre was haunting Europe, and particularly England.

Wind in the Willows is an elegant parable about class struggle, about the dangers of decadant country-house-living in the face of powerful revolutionary forces.

There are maybe four generations in the
Jason Koivu
Lavishly described meandering adventures of the mild nature.

The Wind in the Willows has an intrinsically English flavor. The characters are happy to live their ordinary lives with only a hint of interest in the wider world. Too strong of an adventurous spiritedness is considered uncouth. Such hearty frivolity as Toad's is frowned upon to the utmost!

Unfortunately this goes for the author, too. Kenneth Grahame's plots are not terribly gripping due to their lack of depth. He seems pleased rather
Manny
PART TWO OF PETER JACKSON'S THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS (CONCLUSION)

[Night. Toad Hall, interior. STEPHEN FRY as TOAD and ORLANDO BLOOM as BADGER are in the middle of a wild melée with numerous STOATS and WEASELS.]

BADGER: It's no good, Toad! There's too many of them! [With a blow of his cudgel, he knocks a WEASEL into the open fire.]

TOAD: We can hold them off, Badger old chap!

[EVANGELINE LILLY as a HOT BADGER-BABE crashes through the window and lands next to them.]

BADGER: [Choked with emotion] You ca
Chris
This is one of those books I want to love; I REALLY, really want to love this book. I've read so many essays by book lovers who have fond, childhood memories of being read this by their father, or who ushered in spring each year by taking this book to a grassy field and reading this in the first warm breezes of May. I want to find the tea and boating and wooded English countryside to be slow yet sonoriously comforting, like a Bach cello suite or a warm cup of cider on a cool April night.

But I j
Terry
Ok, second attempt at a review after the damn interwebs ate my last one. Luckily I’m composing this one offline first.

To me Kenneth Grahame’s _The Wind in the Willows_ is a particularly fine novel. It’s a children’s story and normally that would get my back up. I’m generally not a big fan of children’s lit or YA, and to add to this I didn’t even read this book as a child and thus have the requisite rose-coloured glasses to lend credence to my love for the story. Somehow, however, this tale of th
Nathan
I found Wind in the Willows to be one of those rare books that contains true joy. Several times since I have moved in with the Kenyons, I have gotten in a disagreement with another opinionated member of the household over the value of "dark" literature versus "light" literature. "It is so easy to write about dark things," she might say. "Why don't we focus on happiness?" I think when most people read a "happy" story, they find it shallow, unrealistic, and boorish since, as any random perusal of ...more
Laurie
"The real way to travel... The only way to travel! O bliss! O poop-poop!... What carts I shall fling into the ditch! Horrid carts-- common carts-- canary-coloured carts!.... Me complain of that beautiful, heavenly vision! That swan, that sunbeam, that thunderbolt!"

--Frog on automobiles
Sue
Nov 12, 2011 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Anne Reach and Judy
I found myself smiling as I finished this reading of The Wind in the Willows. Yes I enjoyed the tale of Rat and Mole and Badger and Toad and all the other assorted animals and their people who populate that corner of England.

What struck me most during this reading, which is my second as far as I recall, is that this just doesn't feel like a children's book in so many ways. The language is so rich. The descriptions, whether of characters or places, are so full. I find this better in some ways as
Kimmie
I forgot how much I loved this book. Previous reviewers I have read seem to find it wordy or cumbersome. Personally, I find it beautifully descriptive. I am currently reading it to my 3 and 4 year old boys at bed time, a half a chapter at a time, and they seem to be enjoying it, as well. No, its not a quick, easy read, but it is worth it for all the lost vocabulary that we see so seldom in modern author's works.
Ron
They don't write books like The Wind in the Willows anymore.

Today's books for children are sly rhymes, action and social engineering. Wind belongs to an older, more innocent time when even accomplished men such as Kenneth Grahame, A. A. Milne and J. R. R. Tolkien invented stories for their children.

Stories which over the years became classics of literature.
Wind isn't a fairy tale so much as it's life told for those who will inherit it. Told by those who love the inheritors.

Even if you've read
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

The Wind in the Willows is a funny old book, isn’t it?

The adventures of Ratty, Mole and the
Rhiannon
I picked this book up at a library sale for about $2. I'm reading it aloud to the kids as "bedtime stories." We're also intermittenly watching a few of the million movie versions.

At first the kids stared blankly off into space as I read, as the words are bigger and more complex even than the ones I use with them (and more than a few people have taken notice of how "big" I speak to my kids). Even I had to read pages a second time to understand what exactly we were reading about. But once we got i
Pamela
I feel like I am the only person in the universe to not *get* this book. Perhaps I am not really human, but rather a troll or some other such hard-hearted creature.

I suppose my main issue with this book is that I couldn't quite understand the world that Mr. Grahame created. Pithy words of wisdom on What It Means To Be A Child tell us that children don't have preconceptions and thus accept things more readily, being shaped only by the prejudices of adults. I assume most people would use that arg
Mark Hoppus
I'd never read this book before this week. I always thought it a children's book, but the themes seem more geared toward adults/young adults. The terrific descriptions of the English countryside and its lifestyle remind me why I like being there so much. I also love the way Grahame anthropomorphises everything. Example: Toad was called at an early hour; partly by the bright sunlight streaming in on him, partly by the exceeding coldness of his toes, which made him dream that he was at home in bed ...more
Jan-Maat
A late Edwardian children's book that ends with the imposition by force of the traditional squirearchical social order on the upstart lower orders as represented by Weasels, Stoats and Ferrets.

It is a through introduction to traditional British conservatism, of the Country Life rather than the Economist variety, for children with a side order of mild paganism. As such is an unwitting counterpoint to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

As with How to Read Donald Duck, once you look at it and shr
Carrie
Dec 16, 2009 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my favourite book of all time.
Perhaps it is the very Timelessness of the Tale that makes it so appealing.
I love the ambience; reminiscent of gentler times, unencumbered by the material frippery, with which we surround ourselves in this rapid and relentless 21st Century.
I never tire of reading the exquisite dialogue; check out the one about the door mat! Just thinking about Ratty and his love affair with the peaceful riverbank, makes me calm and flow!
Toad is infuriating with his fads an
Lea
I was grown up with kids of my own before I ever read The Wind in the Willows. How in the world is that possible?! The story is truly magical -- we follow Mole as he breaks out of his boring routine and ventures out into the world. Along the way he meets Ratty, who introduces him to several other wonderful characters, and serves as his guide and protector in this new life.

Mole is described in such wonderful terms by the author, who notes his velvety fur (as well as his reserved nature). As a sh
Nicola
I know this is a lot of people's favourite children's book and I really want to love it too but I just don't. I've read a lot of children's novels and for me there are others that are better.

I find the story just too jumpy. It doesn't flow well, with random stories being dropped into it. The one that comes to mind quickest is the tale about the missing child. That's just weird, has no connection to the rest of the book and is actually a little disturbing.

I quite like the characters of rat, mole
Wayne
Mar 07, 2009 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the child in us all
Recommended to Wayne by: compulsory reading in second year of High School
LATER:
Hard to let go of a book like this especially when the illustrations so mirror the text.
Such lovable characters in humble Mole, caring and indulgent Ratty, and the daunting but fatherly Badger, except it is difficult to warm to the deceitful and conceited Toad whose transformation is scarely credible, but he supplies so much fun and absurd adventures that one wants to believe!!
The rest of the book is about friendship and shared moments, home and hearth, the urge to travel and the love an
Julie Davis
So you've begun to get really busy at work and you're feeling stressed out.

Then you watched The Sixth Sense (by yourself, after dark) so you can discuss it on a podcast.

And finally, you just know you're going to have nightmares and possibly be afraid of the dark if you wake up having to make that trip out of bed ... based on the last time you watched that darned movie.

What do you do?

What DO you do?

You pull out your trusty copy of The Wind in the Willows, that's what.

This gentle, imaginative tale
Alice Poon
I’ve just finished “The Wind in the Willows” by Kenneth Grahame. I’m giving it 5 stars out of 5 because I was absolutely bewitched by the endearing animal characters, the spellbinding scenery and the sometimes touching, sometimes hilarious twists and turns of the story. The minute description of English rural scenery shows the author’s genuine love of the place where he spent his boyhood – the enchanting Berkshire countryside and Thames River vicinity. I would recommend this book to anyone who l ...more
Dem
I never had the opportunity to read Wind in the Willows as a child and it is great to finally get to read this book as an adult, I am not entirely sure I would have enjoyed this as an 8-10 year old girl as the language is a little stiff and proper for a child and also for the fact there are no girls in the story.

I think it would make a fantastic read aloud book to a child as I can imagine putting voices to all the characters.

The Wind in the Willows book is a classic tale of animals and river li
Amber
This was my first time reading Wind in the Willows and it was a pretty good read. It reminded me of the Disney animated special that I saw as a kid. I enjoyed the escapades of Mole, Badger, Ratty, and Mr. Toad. Reccomended to anyone that enjoys a good story.
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit.

The Wind in the Willows is a set of anthropomorphic stories that English author Kenneth Grahame wrote for his young son and published in 1908. The story begins when Mole, who lives in a hole in the English countryside, decides one fine day to come out of his underground lair to see a bit of the world. He’s amazed by all that he sees and soon he encounters and befriends a water rat who invites him to a picnic, takes him for a rid
Bryan
The Wind in the Willows The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a wonderful tale!

Every character in this story is distinct, full of life, and their voices leap out of the page.

The scenes are simply beautiful. There's a dreaminess to the pacing that sets you back a hundred years or more when people in the Americas used to share their food and talk at great length with strangers.

One particular scene that stuck out to me was the one in which Rat and the Mole are search
e.c.h.a
Aug 20, 2010 e.c.h.a rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to e.c.h.a by: Mas Haikal
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart. And can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. - anonim -

Kisah persahabatan 4 binatang, Ratty si tikus air, Molly si tikus darat, Troud si Katak dan Luak (gue lupa si luak ini punya nama siapa hehehe).

Mereka masing-masing punya kekurangan, persahabatan lah yang membuat mereka saling melengkapi satu sama lain. Menutupi kekurangan masing-masing dengan kelebihan yang dimiliki masing-masing.

Sesimpel itu lah sebuah persahabatan :)
Praj
One of those few delightful books that always takes me to a place where life was full of astonishing mysteries and harmless ventures
Lise
i LOVE Toad. Toad's friends stage an intervention surrounding Toad's ... driving. Toad cries and promises he'll stop. His friends take the dramatic approach of locking Toad up ... but he's not ready to give it up. Toad engages in a bit of theft, deception and vandalism to support his bad habit. Even a stint in prison doesn't deter him. Like all these things, you have to WANT to change, you can't have it forced on you. I think he finally just loses interest in it. Okay so he's a little up himself ...more
Skye
In my experience there are three general reactions to this book, the reader:

a) Loves the Toad bits, finds the other chapters a bit dull
b) Can do without Toad, adores the rest
c) Finds the whole book a load of sentimental codswallop

I fall comfortably into category b) and am inclined to attack those foolish members of category c) with verbal abuse until they admit to the superiority of Mr. Grahame's prose over any other writer.

The great power of his writing, both in Wind and the Willows and his ot
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Railway Children
  • Puck of Pook's Hill
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Willows in Winter
The Reluctant Dragon Toad of Toad Hall (Wind In the Willows) The Adventures of Mr. Toad: From The Wind in the Willows The Golden Age Dream Days

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” 159 likes
“All this he saw, for one moment breathless and intense, vivid on the morning sky; and still, as he looked, he lived; and still, as he lived, he wondered.” 117 likes