Start by marking “Operation Typhoon Shore: The Guild of Specialists Book 2” as Want to Read:
Operation Typhoon Shore: The Guild of Specialists Book 2

Operation Typhoon Shore: The Guild of Specialists Book 2 (The Guild of Specialists #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  575 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
After being lashed by a typhoon on their uncle's ship, THE EXPEDIENT, intrepid siblings Becca and Doug MacKenzie want nothing more than to escape from the volcanic island on which they're stranded and resume the search for their parents. But their uncle, Captain MacKenzie, seems more concerned with the missing gyrolabe than their missing mother and father, and he refuses t ...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Operation Typhoon Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Typhoon Shore

MaggyGray
Apr 13, 2016 MaggyGray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books-in-2016
Der zweite Teil der "Operation XY" Reihe.

Auch dieser Band ist vollgestopft mit kleinen Überraschungen: ausfaltbare Pläne, Konstruktionszeichnungen, Kartenmaterial, Zeichnung usw. Dadurch gerät die Geschichte selbst ein bisschen sehr in den Hintergrund, aber da es ein Jugendbuch ist, bin ich wahrscheinlich einfach ein bisschen zu mäkelig.

Man trifft in dieser Geschichte alte Bekannte wieder: den Kapitän MacKenzie natürlich, die beiden Geschwister Becca und Doug, Die Gräfin (ein weißer bengalischer
Derek
Jun 09, 2012 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, steampunk
The part of me that is still a ten year old ate this whole thing up and demanded more helpings *. It has everything: secret societies in secret war, ancient technological civilizations, weird science, exotic world travel, island adventure. It would have pirates, but those were defeated in the prequel, and so it has to make do with warrior monks gone Cossack, sort of. And subterranean drilling machines.

It fits into the long and noble tradition of orphaned or semi-orphaned children on an adventure
kingshearte
Dec 13, 2009 kingshearte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 1920: Trapped on a volcanic island during a typhoon, Becca and Doug MacKenzie want nothing more than to continue the search for their mother and father. But their uncle Captain MacKenzie, seems more concerned with the missing gyrolabe, and he refuses to discuss the role that the mysterious Guild of Specialists played in their parents' disappearance. As the Kalaxx warriors close in, Becca and Doug unearth a riddle that could be the key to the dark secrect of the Guild. But will they be able t ...more
Shinysheensean
Oct 15, 2007 Shinysheensean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of this literary piece of work is Joshua Mowll and is the sequel to Operation Red Jericho of the Guild trilogy. The genre of this book is fictional narrative and takes place on the Expedient and the Sulphur Archipelago(SE of the South China Sea). The point of view(that it's from) and main characters are Becca and Doug MacKenzie. Though it anwsers little about the disappearance of their parents the MacKenzies discover some of the secrets and corruptions(some old and some new)of the Gu ...more
Lynn O
Feb 23, 2016 Lynn O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
action/adventure, historical fiction. This is the second book in a series. The two main characters are teenagers who are searching for their parents. The book's setting is generally in Asia (although the main characters aren't Asian). The family is part of a secret society dedicated to protecting knowledge about an energy source that could cause large scale destruction if it falls into the wrong hands.
Teenreader7
Jul 20, 2014 Teenreader7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a sequel to to operation red jerinco it's brilliant. This series is a great. Following the stories of doug and becca, after their boat crashes on a mysterious island in Chinese waters, they go on an elaborate scheme and adventure to put a stop to evil and help find clues to their parents mysterious disappearance
A action packed book that leaves you craving for more 5/5
Mark
May 31, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-book-shelf
I picked this book up for only $3 at a used book store. I really liked the look of the cover and whole notebook feel to it. I really wasn't expecting much but as I started reading I was blown away. The story was incredible. It has everything I look for in book. The diagrams and huge fold outs helped to bring the story alive. I started the trilogy in the middle so now I have to go back and get caught up.
Joseph Levesque
I really enjoyed the second book in this series. Still reminds me of a mash-up of Tintin and the Hardy Boys -- a great combo for me! Looking forward to the third in the trilogy.
Michele
Feb 10, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had this series on the shelf forever. The writing is great, no dumbing down.
Todd Lucht
The novelty wore off and the writing and story line have become tedious.
Laurabooks
*3.5 stars*
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
There is a sticker on the book that says DaVinci code meets Alex Rider however I must contest that characterization, this is really an old fashioned adventure book more in the vane of Indiana Jones. With lots of suavely dressed bad guys, exotic locations and ancient treasures. What the author did well is create a cast of characters that either gender will enjoy from the brother/sister team searching for their parents, to the daring aviatrix Liberty Devine and Captain Mckenzie.
Ryan
Jan 31, 2008 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like action
Ryan Hoven
1/31/08
8-1

Operation Typhoon Shore
Joshua Mowll
Genre: action

Becca and Doug Mackenzie are the main characters. The are out on a mission to find their parents. There are clues set out in the woods that was left by the parentnaper to help them find their lost parents. Becca is smart and wise she can get them out of any situation. On the other hand Doug he is one wise crack he always makes jokes at the wrong times.
Margaret
7/11/11 ** Becca & Doug continue their quest for their parents in the 1920s South China Sea. A solid middle grade/YA adventure novel with very interesting constructed elements - fold out diagrams, sketch book entries, diary entries, photos, etc.

The story didn't hold my interest as much in the middle, but I still found myself starting the third book when I finished this one - I want to know about the parents too!
Savannah
This second book, which really isn't quite a stand-alone, carries the momentum right along from the first. While the stock characters and basic kids-defy-adults-and-save-the-day starts to wear a little thin, it's still a fun and exciting romp. And all the while it keeps up the pace of illustrations and documents that so delightfully flesh out the story and elevate it above similar, unembellished versions of this kind of tale.
Noah
Nov 12, 2012 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thin this book has some mystery features to it and alot of action especially at the end!I recommend this book to everyone! You guys just have to read this book.I guarantee that there are no boring parts in this book.When there is no action the main characters talk about their background and went they are not the side characters talk about the mysteries.All in all you guys have to read this book!
William
Aug 05, 2012 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has two main characters Becca and Doug MacKenzi, who are trying to escape an island after their boat crashes in a terable storm. The captain is worried some one is missing. They soon realize a greater fear that they are not the only ones on the island. I would give the book five stars because it kept me gussing till the end of the book. Also it had lots of advenchure.
Elise
Aug 01, 2011 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like near the beginning, their problems were being taken care of for them. Why even include them as problems if in the next paragraph say "Oh, and they fixed the problem that I took a few pages detailing. Thought you'd want to know."
But the rest of it was a pretty good thriller! Now, where's the third one? Beautiful illustrations and design. Lovely book.
Ellen
Feb 20, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fiction
Not as good as the first in the series, but still a good book.
Godzilla
Jan 18, 2009 Godzilla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who read the First one.
Recommended to Godzilla by: My brother
This is a fairly good book. It starts out pretty quickly unlike the first one. I didn't skim after the first chapter, which is good. It isn't a very tough book to read. Like the first one it was extremly realistic. There were just a few parts in the book that were a bit far fatched. Otherwise, a great book.
Hayesy
May 29, 2011 Hayesy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
58/100 It wasn't overly exciting, and most of the action was either cluttered or short. Once again, the illustrations were great, but the rest of the book was mundane. Hopefully the last book is as good as the first.
Sue
Feb 26, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone enjoying YA
Like most trilogies, the middle book sets up the finale...this series is no exception.

Still a good story, more fantastical than the first, and not as believable, but I'm still eager for the third installment.
Moesha
May 07, 2013 Moesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible. A great read. The detail described in this book is is really well researched and written. This book literally paints a picture in your mind of what is happening. Impossible to put down. I loved every page
Diane
Found this one on Cassidy's shelf while I was packing his room up. Very entertaining so far! Great format with illustrations and diagrams and diary entries combined with a more traditional narrative text...
Chrissie
Mar 01, 2009 Chrissie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books remind me of the tv show Alias. Lots of imaginary scientific discoveries, but best of all the illustrations and made up maps, etc. are really cool.
Dora Okeyo
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, and maybe I should read it again, and stop being mesmerized by the pictures of items from the Archives.
Ruth Dopp
Good but not spectacular. Written in a interesting diary/ third person report style, the book's premise remains formulaic.
Dakota
this book was ok but it did not make much sence the auther could have made it with less pictures and more discription
Mark Ames
Jan 06, 2010 Mark Ames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fun stuff. Light adventure tales of kids growing up set in a slightly steam punkish victoriaphile world.
  • Cloud Tea Monkeys
  • Icecore: A Thriller
  • De formule van Tante Kriegel
  • Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Avenger (Boy Soldier, #3)
  • Agent Q, or The Smell of Danger! (Pals in Peril #4)
  • Darby
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Lincoln and His Boys
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • Wild Boy and the Black Terror
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Gettysburg: The Graphic Novel
Author of Operation Red Jericho, Operation Typhoon Shore, Operation Storm City, The Great Space Race and Beautiful Titan
More about Joshua Mowll...

The Guild of Specialists (3 books)
  • Operation Red Jericho (The Guild of Specialists,  #1)
  • Operation Storm City (The Guild of Specialists, #3)