Start by marking “Mr. Dalloway: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A virtuoso performance of postmodern daring, Mr. Dalloway offers a rich augmentation of Virginia Woolf's classic novel.It is June 29, 1927ÑRichard and Clarissa Dalloway's thirtieth anniversary and also a day of historical significance. Richard has arranged a surprise party for his wife. As he leaves their house in Westminster to buy flowers for the party, his thoughts turn ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Dalloway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Dalloway

El
Having read this immediately after finishing the original story, Mrs. Dalloway, I think it might be fair to say that I might have been on a bit of Dalloway-overkill. This is essentially the same story as the Virginia Woolf book, but told from the point of view of Mr. Dalloway. It's like what Margaret Atwood did with The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus.

I felt Lippincott did a pretty decent job with the Woolf story. He did his best to maintain a similar writing style, but Woolf's sty
Korri
I suppose one's ability to appreciate this book (and Michael Cunningham's The Hours) is predicated on one's admiration for the distracted circling stream of consciousness prose in Woolf's original work. I happen to adore Mrs. Dalloway, the way the words ripple and reverberate in the minds of Clarissa and her friends. I was geared up to love this queer retelling of Mrs. Dalloway from the perspective of Clarissa's sympathetic husband Richard.

Phrases like 'out the door, out of his house and the inh
Tony
No stretch. Virginia Woolfe taught me to write. Well, I'm no endorsement for her pedagogical powers, many serve as living proof of her abilities. Woolfe, whether through personal/critical essay or fiction, subtly blends crisp phrasing, intellectual study, and moving development. I can think of no writer more iconic nor deserving of praise for her linguistic use in the Twentieth Century.

On racks of new fiction and employee recommendations at bookstores, I find an increasing number of works that
John
I kept feeling this one must be some sort of parody, or else the lower upper class of that time lead incredibly vacuous lives. At the party (second part of the story), names are thrown out like a pitching machine gone amok, with point-of-view changing every couple of paragraphs with no warning!

I read Woolf's book years ago, recalling no details, so can't compare this one with that.
Yancey Gulley
corey found this for me in a used bookstore in Portland. it is an interesting take on the life of the man who shared a home and love with clarissa. what is in his mind? who does he secretly love and loath? where does he go on his walks? and what famous american ends up interwoven with this couple?
Erin
Well, the second half is better than the first in that Lippincott has some original material to work with. But lordy, I found this book tiresome--particularly the almost meeting of Virginia Woolf.
Mary
Don't put down Woolf without treating yourself to Lippincott. My friend and hero. These books should be shelved side by side.
April
Spare and lovely and very much in keeping with Mrs. Dalloway (obviously).
Sarabande Books
Finalist for the 2000 Lambda Literary Award in Fiction
Joneill1225
Such an interesting re-do of Woolf's novel
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Jami Edwards
Jami Edwards marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Chas Broman
Chas Broman marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Lauren Short
Lauren Short marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Olivia17
Olivia17 marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Mirte
Mirte marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
In the Meantime Our Arcadia The Real, True Angel: Stories When It Dawns On Them Rebel Yell: Stories by Contemporary Southern Gay Authors