Start by marking “Mr. Dalloway: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A virtuoso performance of postmodern daring, Mr. Dalloway offers a rich augmentation of Virginia Woolf's classic novel.It is June 29, 1927ÑRichard and Clarissa Dalloway's thirtieth anniversary and also a day of historical significance. Richard has arranged a surprise party for his wife. As he leaves their house in Westminster to buy flowers for the party, his thoughts turn ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Dalloway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Dalloway

El
May 09, 2010 El rated it liked it
Having read this immediately after finishing the original story, Mrs. Dalloway, I think it might be fair to say that I might have been on a bit of Dalloway-overkill. This is essentially the same story as the Virginia Woolf book, but told from the point of view of Mr. Dalloway. It's like what Margaret Atwood did with The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus.

I felt Lippincott did a pretty decent job with the Woolf story. He did his best to maintain a similar writing style, but Woolf's sty
Korri
I suppose one's ability to appreciate this book (and Michael Cunningham's The Hours) is predicated on one's admiration for the distracted circling stream of consciousness prose in Woolf's original work. I happen to adore Mrs. Dalloway, the way the words ripple and reverberate in the minds of Clarissa and her friends. I was geared up to love this queer retelling of Mrs. Dalloway from the perspective of Clarissa's sympathetic husband Richard.

Phrases like 'out the door, out of his house and the inh
Tony
Dec 27, 2008 Tony rated it it was ok
No stretch. Virginia Woolfe taught me to write. Well, I'm no endorsement for her pedagogical powers, many serve as living proof of her abilities. Woolfe, whether through personal/critical essay or fiction, subtly blends crisp phrasing, intellectual study, and moving development. I can think of no writer more iconic nor deserving of praise for her linguistic use in the Twentieth Century.

On racks of new fiction and employee recommendations at bookstores, I find an increasing number of works that
John
Aug 16, 2010 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: library_books, lgbt
I kept feeling this one must be some sort of parody, or else the lower upper class of that time lead incredibly vacuous lives. At the party (second part of the story), names are thrown out like a pitching machine gone amok, with point-of-view changing every couple of paragraphs with no warning!

I read Woolf's book years ago, recalling no details, so can't compare this one with that.
Yancey Gulley
Jul 04, 2007 Yancey Gulley rated it really liked it
corey found this for me in a used bookstore in Portland. it is an interesting take on the life of the man who shared a home and love with clarissa. what is in his mind? who does he secretly love and loath? where does he go on his walks? and what famous american ends up interwoven with this couple?
Erin
Jul 07, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Well, the second half is better than the first in that Lippincott has some original material to work with. But lordy, I found this book tiresome--particularly the almost meeting of Virginia Woolf.
Mary
Jul 27, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Don't put down Woolf without treating yourself to Lippincott. My friend and hero. These books should be shelved side by side.
April
Dec 09, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Spare and lovely and very much in keeping with Mrs. Dalloway (obviously).
Sarabande Books
Jan 22, 2010 Sarabande Books rated it it was amazing
Finalist for the 2000 Lambda Literary Award in Fiction
Joneill1225
Dec 14, 2010 Joneill1225 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting re-do of Woolf's novel
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Nirali
Nirali marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Charisa Gunasekera
Charisa Gunasekera marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jonathan Olson
Jonathan Olson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Ioana
Ioana marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Habiba
Habiba added it
Jul 18, 2015
Mihmo
Mihmo rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Verna
Verna rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Emily Hanka
Emily Hanka rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2015
Becci Dean
Becci Dean marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Tex Reader
Tex Reader marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
I S-H
I S-H marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robin’s latest book is BLUE TERRITORY: A MEDITATION ON THE LIFE AND ART OF JOAN MITCHELL. His collaboration with Julia Watts, RUFUS + SYD, a novel for young adults, will be published in spring 2016. Robin is also the author of the novels IN THE MEANTIME, OUR ARCADIA, and MR. DALLOWAY, as well as the short story collection, THE ‘I’ REJECTED. Robin’s fiction has received nominations for the IMPAC Du ...more
More about Robin Lippincott...