Barbara Bush: A Memoir

Barbara Bush: A Memoir

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  720 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Barbara Bush endures as one of America's most popular First Ladies. She has won worldwide acclaim for her wit, compassion, and candor as both a presidential wife and mother. In this #1 New York Times bestselling memoir, Mrs. Bush offers a heartfelt portrait of her life in and out of the White House, from her small-town schoolgirl days in Rye, New York, to her fateful union...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Scribner (first published 1994)

Godless by Ann CoulterMiles to Go by Miley CyrusHow to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterIf Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann Coulter
Books I Have No Intention of Reading
121st out of 1,150 books — 5,854 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsWild by Cheryl StrayedLucky by Alice SeboldTruth and Beauty by Ann PatchettMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Personal Essays that Should be Read
24th out of 79 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Bobbie
This is a fun, rollicking read. Barbara Bush was very well-suited to the job of first lady. She is blessed with charm, fortitude, the ability to enjoy (or at least pretend to enjoy) attending one function after another, and a seemingly cast-iron stomach. She also has a wonderful sense of humor, which makes the book a joy to read. Looking for the inside story? Barbara Bush tells it like it is, and doesn't clean up her stories to protect the sensibilities of anyone, whether they be a former head o...more
Naomi
I loved this book and have repeatedly recommended it. I believe this book is 600 pages long and I read it in less than 3 days because I could not put it down. Hands down, BB is my favorite first lady of all time. She never ceases to crack me up with her unpretentious, sarcastic wit that even has me blushing on occasions and asking if she really just said that! I was not as crazy with the follow-up to this book so make sure to get the right book as the covers are very similiar.
Verona
I love Barbara Bush, her style, her personality, her mothering, her stand on things she believes in, her love of family and her husband, her loyalty, and more! I supported her husband as our president, and later her son as our president. I believe she had great influence on these men in her life and helped them to be the great leaders and great in personal values that they were. I enjoyed reading about her in this book. It just helped me admire her more.
Patriciadubray
I fell in love with this woman and love who she is and what she represents. A great read.
Kendra Fletcher
What a remarkable woman.
Michelle
I had a very hard time getting through this book and yet there were parts of it that I thoroughly enjoyed reading; in particular the behind the scenes personal relationships with all the foreign ambassadors, pranks and private jokes, real life in the White House etc. The e-version of my book was chocked full of errors so that in itself was hard to ignore. How does this happen? Doesn't someone check these things? My expectations for the book were to "get the know" the former First Lady and that w...more
Christopher Wensley
I only have a few memories of Barbara Bush, all of them good, but it is funny how someone who once so dominated the headlines can disappear with nary a word later in life. Having found the time to read her memoir, it was a fun experience to step into the Bush 41 White House for a few days and meet a real terrific woman.
Barbara Bush: A Memoir is one of the best edited political autobiographies, it avoids the usually pratfalls that doom many a reader. The auto-bio always seems to start off page 1...more
Connie
Barbara started her preface by stating that she had led a life of privilege and no one has ever had a better life. Seriously, it made me want to gag and I thought about not even reading the book. But I am so glad I decided to continue on. She truly made the best of everything that life dealt to her and made her own life of privilege.

I loved reading about her and George in their early years of marriage, and wish there would have been more of it.

She is such a devoted wife and mother. I had no ide...more
Kim
Barbara Bush is a fun, engaging, interesting, poignant, self-effacing writer. I learned a lot about the Bush dynasty through her book; which is an intriguing subject by itself. It was fun to read about their lives as seen through her eyes. After reading this I ended up listening to it as an audio book, which is read by the author. I think I enjoyed it more! It was wonderful to listen to her tell her own stories. Whether you are Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative, most can agree that...more
Clara
I remember watching my mom read this book when I was five or six. I remember watching my sister read it when I was 11 or 12. When we picked it up at Goodwill this month, I decided that it was finally my turn to read it. It was an extremely enjoyable book and it was very good for me to read it during this election year, because it reminds me that every person involved in politics is just that...a person. A very timely reminder. I also appreciated how much Mrs. Bush expressed her deep love and res...more
Jane Cook
Candid biography, an enjoyable read.
Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this book. Mrs Bush is an engaging and charming author. She describes a fascinating life and I felt that she displayed grace and depth of character throughout many of the challenges that she faced, while still remaining a human-ness. I think this book would have been even more interesting if I had a clearer recollection of the world events it talked about. I might read another one of her books, but I think at this point I would be even more interested in reading books about othe...more
Maureen
A statement Barbara Bush makes in the beginning of her memoir is "you can like it or not. I have chosen to like it". A credo she developed observing her mother, who apparently, was not a content woman. That credo resonates throughout the book. Barbara appears to take any situation and make the best out of it.

I found this to be interesting, particularly George and Barbara's early years together. They lived in some very modest places; in some sharing a bath or kitchen with other couples!
Tabitha
I found a copy of this book at our favorite used book store signed by her and G. Bush senior and we went at the presidential election rally for GWB and could have has it signed but of course I did not bring it. So really I bought it b/c it was double signed and I could have had it triple signed being in Austin at the time and all...

After I read the book, she's an interesting lady with trials most have not had. I'm glad I read it and will possibly re-read it in the next 5 years.
Christy
"Look for the best, forget the rest." (in others) Loved the stories she told about raising her family and being in a political family.

Especially about her daughter Robin, who died of leukemia at 2 and GWB asking why all the women in the building wore their nightgowns during the daytime. (His dad was going to Yale after WWII and the only housing they could afford happened to be an apt. building of ill repute.) Good read that has stuck with me.
Marion S.
My O My what a fantastic lady, no wonder she has been voted one of the most popular 1st Ladies of all time. To get an insiders view of life in politics and more importantly to be the wife of the President of the United States, was amazing. She traveled with and entertained some of the most important people in modern history, but beyond that she managed to be a wonderful mother and grandmother with great affection for all. A very good read!
Kelly
Barbara Bush turned out to be different than I had imagined her. She really seemed to be the opposite in many ways than her husband. An extrovert, social and down to earth person who experienced some extraordinary events and people mostly in stride.
I'd recommend this book for anyone who is wanting a peek into the times and people from a mostly non-political view. If you're looking for political history, facts and data, this isn't for you.
Elissa
Wonderful read. I came away with an understanding of how much she has been through and how she was able to bear it all with such grace. It is no wonder that this woman has a spine of steel, unmatched common sense, a super sense of humor and a heart of gold. You will love her more after reading this...It is so well written that you will laugh, ponder, be angry and maybe even cry in the course of reading it.
Suzan
A very well written memoir my Barbara Bush (no ghost writer).
She writes about her growing up years, marriage to George, the death of their daughter, getting into politics, and being First Lady. She shared some great inside stories. She is a classy, down to earth lady, who promoted literacy while she was in the White House. Yeah!

Bradley
This book took me nearly a week to read. Whew. It is full of lots of fun facts about the Bush family I never knew. Barbara Bush seems to be a very loving woman who cares deeply for her family. I enjoyed the pictures that were in this book too. In summary, Barbara Bush is a nice person devoted to helping others. Very inspiring. =)
Nancy
first of all...I'm an independent

read this when I was active duty after briefly meeting first lady. Respected her then and more after reading it. She's a no nonsense type of gal who doesn't care what others think about her keeping her grey hair or what status she should hold. Very down to earth.
Tara
I read this because my MIL and FIL said it was really good. It was. she is a strong woman who was a good First Lady. There were some really funny parts in the book as well. And it kind of refreshed my memory to alot of things that happened in the world that I had forgotten about and some that I didn't know.
Catha
I love Barbara. I just do. No matter what you think about politics or anything else, you have to admit she is an impressive woman. She married a president, raised a president, and raised a governor. In the middle of all of that, she has managed to maintain her fabulous sense of humor. I just love her!
Sandi
I think we all needed to know Barbara Bush better and this book will certainly do that. Her dedication to literacy, her remarkable family (she raised remarkable children, while partnering everything her husband was involved in), and pets! Read this and be astounded by how much she has done.
Sue
I really enjoy Barbara Bush's sense of humor. I heard her speak at Baylor several years ago. She doesn't take herself or her family too seriously, what a wonderful asset, since she is who she is! I did get bogged down in some of the campaign details, but the stories of behind the scenes are fun.
Maiden Aunt
Old George Sr. had to pry good Barbara's thighs open with the Jaws of Life; rough time indeed. I imagine it looked like something that would have taken place in Planet of the Apes. If every young lady had as many cobwebs between her legs as good Barbara, oh how happy I'd be!
Tonni
I really loved reading this book. It was fun to see the White House and Presidency through her eyes, especially considering all the events that took place in the world while her husband was in office. Mrs Bush has a gift for storytelling that made learning about her life truly enjoyable.
Jen
I really enjoyed Barbara Bush's history of her life through the end of George Bush's presidency. She's funny, but also candid, which made the book interesting to read. She and GW definitely had an interesting life, but not one without some trials, which she also talks about.
LaVenna
Funny and entertaining book! She talks about swimming with rats in the White House swimming pool (yuck!). She tells funny stories about her grandchildren, and world leaders. She also addresses the death of her 3 year old daughter Robin. She is a strong woman!
Sandy
I am in the middle of this book and am learning very much about the elder Bush family. Mrs. Bush is a witty person who adores and idolizes her husband Poppy. I am sure the rest of the book will be in good taste. She certainly has a sense of humor.
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • The Faith Of George W. Bush
  • Known and Unknown: A Memoir
  • Front Row at the White House: My Life and Times
  • The Reagan I Knew
Barbara Pierce Bush is the wife of the 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, making her First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993. Preceding that, she was the Second Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989 while her husband was Vice President to Ronald Reagan. She is the mother of U.S. President George W. Bush and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush.
More about Barbara Bush...
Reflections: Life After the White House Millie's Book Slave Women in Caribbean Society, 1650-1832 Barbara Bush: A Memoir Vol.1 Imperialism and Postcolonialism