Start by marking “The Unicorn and the Lake” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn and the Lake

The Unicorn and the Lake

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"The magical combination of Mayer and Hague will make this a popular book for years to come".--American Bookseller Pick of the Lists. 30 full-color illustrations.
Published September 1st 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn and the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn and the Lake

A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceThe Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeGolden by Cameron DokeyBriar Rose by Jane YolenBeauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey
Fairy Tale Retellings: Hidden Gems
154th out of 405 books — 737 voters
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
61st out of 221 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
Mar 10, 2011 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Unicorn fans and fans of the Craft duo
I totally appreciate Mayer's approach to this book, building the story from three sources (explained at the front, along with a very interesting background on unicorns and their place in ancient stories and beliefs).

While I wasn't amazed by the story's style, I could appreciate it. And I thought some of the illustrations were quite beautiful.

For me, I prefer works by the Craft duo for beauty in both story and words, and but this was along a similar vein. If you like unicorns, I think you'll enjo
Kristi
this was one of my favorite books as a child, and like all of the other books that i REALLY hope my children love, i placed it on the shelf without introduction, hoping they would go to it on their own.

I placed this on their bookshelf months ago, and they both noticed it a few days later, flipped through the pages, and then put it back. Alas.

However, over the past week, they've asked me to read this to them no less than 15 times. They both cuddle up on my lap, and I read the book and they ask q
Stuart
My absolute favorite children's book of all time! Totally responsible for my obsession with fantasy creatures, unicorns in particular, and perhaps my fear of snakes to boot. Beautifully illustrated and still very poignant.
Joseph Glass
This book is a piece of pure magic from my childhood. I'm deeply contented when I can read a picture book and still feel the same sense of wonder even after so many years. Priceless.
Melanie
Once upon a time all of the land lived in harmony. The mystical unicorn lived among all other animals in harmony and the land was fruitful. But due to constant threats from hunters the unicorn eventually had to leave. Once he disappeared the animals began to forget how to talk to others besides their own kind. Along with this forgetfulness came evil in the form of a snake. The snake attacked the other animals. Some animals were able to defend themselves. Others fled the threat of the snake. Duri ...more
E.  Talamante
A beautiful, allegorical story of a unicorn and the animals in the woods. The paintings emphasize the beauty and goodness of the unicorn, and the terrifying image of the serpent. Beautiful for the frameable images, the poetic story, and the deeper meaning. A great story to share with younger children that does not require extra explanations.
Stephanie A.
Beautiful illustrations and a powerful childhood memory. For a long time, I felt certain in my heart that we had pure water to drink because of the long-ago magic of the unicorn dipping his horn into a lake. And even as a child, I felt profound sadness that the unicorn was too magical to live among the regular animals and had to vanish far away in remote mountain locations.
Jonathan
This book is an iteration of the legend of the unicorn based, in part, off of the author's interpretation of the tale told by a series of tapestries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. While I think the premise of the story is sound and interesting, the result is dark and antiquated. Unfortunately, I found the book to be too esoteric for my taste, but it might serve as a decent introductory picture book for children interested in fantasy and unicorn legend.
Dolly
Apr 05, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is a fascinating tale that describes how a unicorn who is forced to live up in the mountains (due to human hunters) saves the animals in the lower lands by first procuring water, ridding the lands of an evil serpent, then rendering the lake water safe to drink after the serpent poisoned it. The illustrations are colorful and depict the magical creature in all of its glory. The story is a bit lengthy for younger children, but we enjoyed reading it together.
Paula
A longer story about how there is magic around when the unicorn is.
When a serpent poisons the lake where all the animals drink, only the unicorn has the power to save them.
Rita Varian
This I would drool over when I was a little girl who loved horses (and unicorns). This was before getting drooled on BY horses.
Emily
Beautiful story, beautiful illustrations. One of my favorite books as a child, and I love reading it to my kids now.
Bree
Notes::
Really scary serpent thing would give my daughter nightmares.
Not really that well-written either
Karen
A wonderful story and beautiful book. The illustrations are superb.
Beverly
wonderful story and gorgeous illustrations
Tony Cook
Tony Cook marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 10, 2015
Harly
Harly marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Tracy Hall
Tracy Hall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Sidney Crossley
Sidney Crossley marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Lori Reed
Lori Reed marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Amanda Grooms
Amanda Grooms marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • My Pony
  • Never Smile at a Monkey: And 17 Other Important Things to Remember
  • Moss Gown
Marianna Mayer lives in Roxbury, Connecticut.
"I see folktales and myths as humankind's first stories," says Marianna Mayer. "They are a kind of collective dreaming, filled with timeless symbols and images we can all relate to, regardless of age or culture. And, much as an oyster must be disturbed by a grain of sand in order for the pearl to be created, I often choose to retell stories in which I
More about Marianna Mayer...
Beauty and the Beast The Twelve Dancing Princesses Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave Pegasus Ivanhoe