Start by marking “Nobody Rides the Unicorn” as Want to Read:
Nobody Rides the Unicorn

Nobody Rides the Unicorn

Zoe is a nobody -- a poor orphan with nothing of her own but a golden staging voice. When a greedy king exploits her voice to capture a unicorn, Zoe rebels and helps the unicorn escape. Then her faith and courage lead her to the land of the unicorns, a place of happiness where at last she is somebody indeed.
Published April 1st 2000 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Rides the Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Rides the Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
167th out of 258 books — 219 voters
Gnomes by Rien PoortvlietThe Mermaid's Muse by David BouchardFaeries by Brian FroudThe Tomten by Astrid LindgrenThe Dragon and the Unicorn by Lynne Cherry
Picture Books About Mystical/Magical Creatures
55th out of 118 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Meleofa
Katie
Jan 09, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated tale of an undervalued young girl who is questioned about a unicorn.
Melanie
Sep 22, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-wish-i-owned
I enjoyed this story very much! is so lovely!
Becca
Aug 21, 2012 Becca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book - aside from the usual fairy-tales and fairy stories - has been my favorite picture book ever since I can remember reading them. (I mean, my parents told me that I liked Peter Rabbit and knew the story off by heart before I could even read, but I can't really remember him).

Nobody Rides the Unicorn, despite being a children's book, has an innate and slightly sad beauty about it. I got to know and sympathize with the main character, Zoe, after only 20 pages of children's writing.
Zoe is a
Mariah Christensen
Oct 28, 2014 Mariah Christensen rated it liked it
The only reason I liked this story is because I identify with the quiet, sensitive little girl. The story was not particularly imaginative.
Laney Widmer
Feb 05, 2016 Laney Widmer rated it it was amazing
It is a very good book about a greedy king.
Ash
Nov 03, 2014 Ash rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
Blah story,blah illustrations.
Bailey Bundy
Mar 26, 2012 Bailey Bundy rated it it was amazing
This book really struck me because it turned an ordinary girl who thought she was a nobody into someone special. Zoe, the young girl, had a gift of attracting unicorns and because of this gift the King tricked her into capturing a unicorn. When Zoe realizes she has been tricked she decides to go and set the unicorn free. This book is very magical and children will love it!
Aug 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Connie
Aug 10, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons-etc
This was a cute book with what I thought were very classic fairy tale elements (the bad king, the innocent child, the horrible conspirator). It didn't knock my socks off (although I did enjoy the end's parallel to Odysseus and Polyphemus) but I liked it. The pictures were wonderful and magical, too.
Sara K.
Fantasy

I didn't read this book aloud this year, but I did share it with my kids. It is a great story that was a gift from a dear friend.
Monica
Jun 23, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
Got this for my daughter at the library, and she & I really liked this one. It was a good story, with beautiful illustrations.
Claire
Aug 09, 2009 Claire rated it it was amazing
An excellent children's take on the beautiful lengend of the unicorn and the young maid who can charm it.
Paula
Mar 12, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok

Having been used by the King to trick a unicorn into imprisonment, Zoe decides to set him free again.
MissAmanda Fay
Jan 28, 2016 MissAmanda Fay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Got this for Erikk and I feel like it should be a classic! So good and too sweet!
Polly
Jul 07, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it
Charming fairy tale, with lovely pictures.
Arwen
Aug 05, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-what-not
So good!
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Karigan
Karigan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Karen Hornyak
Karen Hornyak rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Ben Worsley
Ben Worsley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Meriba
Meriba marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Dot
Dot rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Adrian Mitchell FRSL was an English poet, novelist and playwright. A former journalist, he became a noted figure on the British anti-authoritarian Left. For almost half a century he was the foremost poet of the country's anti-Bomb movement. The critic Kenneth Tynan called him the British Mayakovsky.
More about Adrian Mitchell...