The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1)

The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  525 ratings  ·  48 reviews
With simple, heartfelt stories, My Secret Unicorn is the perfect beginning chapter book series for girls who love horses and magic. These books will make every young reader believe!

Do you know someone who has wished for a pony? Lauren Foster did just that. And when her family moves to the country, her dream finally comes true. Then she reads a story about a normal pony who...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published July 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Spell

Abigail Robinson
This is a review for the series as a whole.
As a child, this has been my very favourite series along with the Stardust series by the same author, and it remains one of my very favourites even now. It was the foundation of my reading for years and I read the books steadily over the 5 year period in which they were published. The books absolutely enchanted me, and while I can't say they made me believe horses could really turn into unicorns (I believed that anyway) they really fed my imagination.
Li...more
Victoria Simcox
This was a very fun book to read with my daughter. We both enjoy magical stories and the fact that this one is about a pony that turns into a unicorn...well what can be better then that, especially for a young girl who loves and dreams of horses. This is the first in a series of books and they all tend to have a moral lesson to learn from.
Emma Gee
I read this book when i was about 8, so i really enjoyed them because i love mystic creatures. The developing relationship between the unicorn and the girl made me feel like it was me, because of the way the story was written.
Marina
it was really goodddddd hahahahahhaha
Buyka
Feb 24, 2013 Buyka added it
The very first book I've ever read.
Annie Childs
When I was younger this was my favourite series! It was the one of the first series I’d ever read and one that started off my love for books! They really get the imagination going. They taught me a lot about friendship, kindness and that I have a slight obsession with mythical creatures.

If someone handed me this book, even the whole series I would happily read them again and again! Never too old for a story about unicorns!
Intava
I read this in elementary school! All the wonderful memories come rushing back when I see that unocnr Twilight on the cover. This book is perfect for someone who wants to take a visit to a childhood dream. A time when all we dreamt about were unicorns, ponies and princesses. Rather than this stressful world we live in.
Nicole Hewitt
My eight-year-old daughter absolutely LOVES the books in this series, so I thought that I should come and put in a review. The later books in the series are a bit hard to get your hands on (I had to order several of them from the UK - but shipping was no more expensive on Amazon), but it was totally worth it. My daughter has read the entire series in the past two weeks and she is now going back to read them all again. She also insisted that I read them too - I read the first six books in the ser...more
 Frenchie
My 10 year old daughter absolutely loves the Unicorn series. It is well written and truly magical to develop children's imagination.
I would say more for girls than boys, but can really be read by both (my 8 year old boy loves them too).
My daughter has a books from Linda Chapman on her kindle, and most of her books as paperbacks. And she keeps asking for more.
Linda Chapman is a great children author. She has also written the pen name of Alex Cliff the SuperPowers book like (The Jaws Of Doom.
I can...more
Halli
I would have adored this book when I was 7 or 8 years old! Very cute and magical. I'd definitely recommend the series to young readers who love horses and unicorns.
Dolly
Feb 05, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who are starting to read longer chapter books
Our oldest is starting to branch out from her beloved fairy stories from the Rainbow Magic series and I love that she is getting excited about reading other books. This is the first book in the My Secret Unicorn series and she loves it. We've put the next book on hold and I think she will devour these books, too. Yay!

I read it, too, just to keep up with what she's reading. It's a fast read and an entertaining story and I can see how this book leads to several follow-on tales. I would expect this...more
Michael
Amazing love it
Ariane Watters
When I was younger I really loved this series! I used to be so obsessed with unicorns (and still are a bit) and I thought that these were just great! It made me feel like I could just come outside and find my very own unicorn! I bet even if I read them now I would still love them as much. I remember I had some obsession after that with pink quartz from the books, even got my own one. Overall I think that these were amazing books, mystical and nearly every girls dream. I may have to read them aga...more
Kim
Dec 07, 2012 Kim added it
I'm 15, and im definately still not ashamed to say that this was one of my favourite childhood books - I loved them!! They made me believe and once actually try to turn a horse into a unicorn (please don't judge me; I was very very young and not all too bright) If you havent read them then you missed out, but read them to your kids - I swear they will enjoy them if they like fanstasy creatures and magic spells. I probably still will enjoy them if i was to ready them again ;)
This was my favourite book when I was 8 years old. Brings back very find memories :)
Emily
I'm reading this to Claire and Andrew. A cute story so far, and they are loving it! I can't help fueling the fires of love of fantasy in my kids! :)

This was a fun and fast bedtime read! :) Claire LOVES this series and is now ready for the next one. According to her, it deserves 5 stars. I think it's a great read for a 6 year old girl--either read aloud, or to read alone. Cute.
Amanda
i really love this book, but i mean i can finish them in like an hour so, yeah when i'm bored i read them. but really i'm this and i'm still reading them. i'm really into fantasy and horse books because they're my favorite animal. so ya thats why i love them. i love them so much i can't decide which one is my favorite!!!
Teri
I don't have any first-hand experience with these books, but my girls read them voraciously one after another until there were no more. I think they are those kind of high-interest reads for girls like the fairy series by Daisy Meadows. Not great literature, but girls eat them up!
Alexis Donnelly
Whenever I go somewhere, I need to bring a "back-up book" just in case I finish while on my trip. When I was little, I used to ALWAYS bring this series. I would finish at least three in a day. They are wonderful quick reads for a child who loves the idea of magic.
Ami
This is a cute, very simple story that I read aloud to my children. They loved it. It is every child's dream to have a unicorn friend. This was great for children, especially girls, around 8 to 11.
Kristy
My daughter loved this book! It was a fun one for us to read together before bed and while anxiously waiting for school to start! She can't wait to get the next one from the library!
Kellie
Jun 22, 2010 Kellie added it
This is another book that Megan has picked up. She started reading it on her own and then asked me to finish it with her. We read it together in about half an hour.
Pink Robot
I didn't really like this book. It was just really not my peice of cake. The story line didn't make sence to me, and it was kind of little kidish.
Brenna
Probably one the first "big girl" chapter books I read. xD I think I was eight or something. Anyways, I remember liking it alot! ^^
Nikki
Oh my gosh these books were all the girls favourites in Primary School. they used to be swapped around at lunch break aw
Noelle
"I like The Magic Spell because it was exciting. I like books with animals in them. And I love unicorns."
Nicole
These books were all the girls favourites in primary school :') I remember we used to swap around the books!
Jenise
Dec 13, 2008 Jenise rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: magical lovers
Recommended to Jenise by: no one
it is good for 6 or 7 year olds i would give it 2 stars for my age and 4 stars for 6 or 7 year olds
Missy
Mar 04, 2013 Missy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8 year old girls
Tori and I read this together - perfect for an 8 year old girl. Nice story - we both enjoyed it.
Alex
This is about a girl who believes in unicorns. I really enjoyed this magical story.
  • Pony on the Porch (Animal Ark, #2)
  • Circus Pony (Pony Pals, #11)
  • Sienna the Saturday Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Fun Day Fairies, #6)
  • A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten, #1)
  • Foals in the Field (Animal Ark, #24)
  • Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball (The Tiara Club, #1)
Linda Chapman was born in Liverpool in 1969. She had many different jobs before becoming a full-time writer in 1999. She worked as a theatre stage manager, a dog trainer, a bookseller, a nanny, a teacher and a research assistant. She has written over 120 books for children, some under her own name, others under different names including the Superpowers series under the name Alex Cliff. Linda lives...more
More about Linda Chapman...
Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2) Starlight Surprise (My Secret Unicorn, #4) Flying High (My Secret Unicorn, #3) A Winter Wish (My Secret Unicorn, #7) Stronger Than Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #5)