Start by marking “The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1)

The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn #1)

With simple, heartfelt stories, My Secret Unicorn is the perfect beginning chapter book series for girls who love horses and magic. These books will make every young reader believe!

Do you know someone who has wished for a pony? Lauren Foster did just that. And when her family moves to the country, her dream finally comes true. Then she reads a story about a normal pony who
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published July 4th 2002)

Rylan Hayes
Feb 20, 2017 Rylan Hayes rated it it was amazing
I think it was a great book I love animals and as so I love unicorns I have loved the series so far I love how it is mysterious and fun because I love unicorns and I also love this book!!!
Abigail Robinson
Dec 19, 2013 Abigail Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a review for the series as a whole.
As a child, this has been my very favourite series along with the Stardust series by the same author, and it remains one of my very favourites even now. It was the foundation of my reading for years and I read the books steadily over the 5 year period in which they were published. The books absolutely enchanted me, and while I can't say they made me believe horses could really turn into unicorns (I believed that anyway) they really fed my imagination.
Li
Nicole Hewitt
Jun 01, 2012 Nicole Hewitt rated it it was amazing
My eight-year-old daughter absolutely LOVES the books in this series, so I thought that I should come and put in a review. The later books in the series are a bit hard to get your hands on (I had to order several of them from the UK - but shipping was no more expensive on Amazon), but it was totally worth it. My daughter has read the entire series in the past two weeks and she is now going back to read them all again. She also insisted that I read them too - I read the first six books in the ser ...more
Victoria Simcox
Dec 21, 2009 Victoria Simcox rated it really liked it
This was a very fun book to read with my daughter. We both enjoy magical stories and the fact that this one is about a pony that turns into a unicorn...well what can be better then that, especially for a young girl who loves and dreams of horses. This is the first in a series of books and they all tend to have a moral lesson to learn from.
Steph
Sep 11, 2015 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE book series as a child, and I'm still in LOVE with it at 18!! It is PERFECT for children and full of magic. Seriously, I love this series so much that my copies are very worn and torn.
Emma Gee
Feb 26, 2010 Emma Gee rated it liked it
I read this book when i was about 8, so i really enjoyed them because i love mystic creatures. The developing relationship between the unicorn and the girl made me feel like it was me, because of the way the story was written.
Chiara
Feb 06, 2016 Chiara rated it it was amazing
In this book Lauren is looking for a pony. She gets more than what she is looking for when Mrs. Fontana lends her a book that contain a particular spell...hidden. This book starts the series.
Buyka
Feb 24, 2013 Buyka added it
The very first book I've ever read.
Marina
Apr 15, 2013 Marina rated it it was amazing
it was really goodddddd hahahahahhaha
Amy Gordon
Jan 24, 2017 Amy Gordon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young kids.
Loved it at the time.
Frenchie
Oct 06, 2013 Frenchie rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old daughter absolutely loves the Unicorn series. It is well written and truly magical to develop children's imagination.
I would say more for girls than boys, but can really be read by both (my 8 year old boy loves them too).
My daughter has a books from Linda Chapman on her kindle, and most of her books as paperbacks. And she keeps asking for more.
Linda Chapman is a great children author. She has also written the pen name of Alex Cliff the SuperPowers book like (The Jaws Of Doom.
I can
Dolly
Feb 01, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who are starting to read longer chapter books
Our oldest is starting to branch out from her beloved fairy stories from the Rainbow Magic series and I love that she is getting excited about reading other books. This is the first book in the My Secret Unicorn series and she loves it. We've put the next book on hold and I think she will devour these books, too. Yay!

I read it, too, just to keep up with what she's reading. It's a fast read and an entertaining story and I can see how this book leads to several follow-on tales. I would expect this
Ariane Watters
Jul 03, 2013 Ariane Watters rated it it was amazing
When I was younger I really loved this series! I used to be so obsessed with unicorns (and still are a bit) and I thought that these were just great! It made me feel like I could just come outside and find my very own unicorn! I bet even if I read them now I would still love them as much. I remember I had some obsession after that with pink quartz from the books, even got my own one. Overall I think that these were amazing books, mystical and nearly every girls dream. I may have to read them aga ...more
Kim
Dec 07, 2012 Kim added it
I'm 15, and im definately still not ashamed to say that this was one of my favourite childhood books - I loved them!! They made me believe and once actually try to turn a horse into a unicorn (please don't judge me; I was very very young and not all too bright) If you havent read them then you missed out, but read them to your kids - I swear they will enjoy them if they like fanstasy creatures and magic spells. I probably still will enjoy them if i was to ready them again ;)
Annie
Mar 18, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
When I was younger this was my favourite series! It was the one of the first series I’d ever read and one that started off my love for books! They really get the imagination going. They taught me a lot about friendship, kindness and that I have a slight obsession with mythical creatures.

If someone handed me this book, even the whole series I would happily read them again and again! Never too old for a story about unicorns!
Emily
Dec 31, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, magic, children
I'm reading this to Claire and Andrew. A cute story so far, and they are loving it! I can't help fueling the fires of love of fantasy in my kids! :)

This was a fun and fast bedtime read! :) Claire LOVES this series and is now ready for the next one. According to her, it deserves 5 stars. I think it's a great read for a 6 year old girl--either read aloud, or to read alone. Cute.
Intava
Feb 05, 2014 Intava rated it it was amazing
I read this in elementary school! All the wonderful memories come rushing back when I see that unocnr Twilight on the cover. This book is perfect for someone who wants to take a visit to a childhood dream. A time when all we dreamt about were unicorns, ponies and princesses. Rather than this stressful world we live in.
Rebecca McNutt
May 02, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it did not like it
I was in the fourth grade (2007), when I read this book, and I thought it was incredibly lame and childish. I was in a "horsesarethewholeworldiloveponiesandunicorns" phase back then, but this thin-as-cellophane book offered nothing but cheap writing with limited vocabulary, choppy sentences and filler.
Alexis Donnelly
Jun 01, 2013 Alexis Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Whenever I go somewhere, I need to bring a "back-up book" just in case I finish while on my trip. When I was little, I used to ALWAYS bring this series. I would finish at least three in a day. They are wonderful quick reads for a child who loves the idea of magic.
Maya Jagger
Sep 26, 2014 Maya Jagger rated it really liked it
Well, my best friend Chloe lent me this book.

She's 8 years old and I'm 15... So I didn't know how much I would enjoy it, you know...

I have to admit, I actually did.
It's delightful, and it only took me an hour to read before bedtime!

I would recommend it!
Teri
Aug 04, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
I don't have any first-hand experience with these books, but my girls read them voraciously one after another until there were no more. I think they are those kind of high-interest reads for girls like the fairy series by Daisy Meadows. Not great literature, but girls eat them up!
Becca
Jul 20, 2015 Becca rated it it was ok
Who else remembers these from elementary school???
Kay
Nov 11, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2016
Super quick cute read. The pictures are awesome and the story is very feel good. I may almost be 20 but I would totally read this whole series.
Rikki Landry
Apr 04, 2015 Rikki Landry rated it really liked it
I find this book at goodwill for a quarter!! this was the first chapter book I read to my 5 year old. it was a big hit!! I look forward to the rest of the series.
Aria Maher
Jan 04, 2013 Aria Maher rated it did not like it
I didn't really like this book. It was just really not my peice of cake. The story line didn't make sence to me, and it was kind of little kidish.
Ami
Nov 15, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
This is a cute, very simple story that I read aloud to my children. They loved it. It is every child's dream to have a unicorn friend. This was great for children, especially girls, around 8 to 11.
DESTINY FLEMINGS
TO ME IT IS A GOOD BOOK SO FAR...
Emry Acton
Feb 05, 2015 Emry Acton rated it liked it
This was kinda weird but kinda good at the same time. It was okay. I am now reading the second one but I read this a long time ago and I put down the second one a long time ago.
Kellie
Jun 22, 2010 Kellie added it
This is another book that Megan has picked up. She started reading it on her own and then asked me to finish it with her. We read it together in about half an hour.
Halli
May 17, 2014 Halli rated it liked it
I would have adored this book when I was 7 or 8 years old! Very cute and magical. I'd definitely recommend the series to young readers who love horses and unicorns.
  • Pony on the Porch (Animal Ark, #2)
  • Winter Pony
  • Circus Pony (Pony Pals, #11)
  • Storm The Lightning Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #13; Weather Fairies, #6)
  • Issie and the Christmas Pony (Pony Club Secrets, #13)
  • Foals in the Field (Animal Ark, #24)
  • Bella's Gift
  • Princess Ellie to the Rescue (Pony-Crazed Princess #1)
  • A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten, #1)
Linda Chapman was born in Liverpool in 1969. She had many different jobs before becoming a full-time writer in 1999. She worked as a theatre stage manager, a dog trainer, a bookseller, a nanny, a teacher and a research assistant. She has written over 120 books for children, some under her own name, others under different names including the Superpowers series under the name Alex Cliff. Linda lives ...more
More about Linda Chapman...

My Secret Unicorn (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2)
  • Flying High (My Secret Unicorn, #3)
  • Starlight Surprise (My Secret Unicorn, #4)
  • Stronger Than Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #5)
  • A Special Friend (My Secret Unicorn, #6)
  • A Winter Wish (My Secret Unicorn, #7)
  • A Touch of Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #8)
  • Snowy Dreams (My Secret Unicorn, #9)
  • Twilight Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #10)
  • Friends Forever (My Secret Unicorn, #11)