Start by marking “Halloween” as Want to Read:
Halloween

Halloween

A humorous tale about the Halloween experience as remembered by the author himself, from bad trick-or-treat candy to pajama-like costumes, enhanced with vibrant illustrations.
Hardcover, A Byron Preiss Book, 30 pages
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween

Michael
Seems like a lot of celebrities are writing children's books these days.

I guess the name recognition helps out when it comes to picking up the book. But, as many children's stories tell us, it's what's on the inside that matters most.

Which is why I'm a bit frustrated with Jerry Seinfeld's book Halloween. As a fan of Seinfeld (both this classic series and his stand-up humor) this reflection on growing up and what Halloween meant to him is fun. Except that all this book turns out to be is several
Sheri
Oct 18, 2010 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Halloween (Jerry Seinfeld).
I just love this book. The illustrations are awesome, the story line is so funny an accurate to my childhood trick or treating adventures(especially the plastic mask with the elastic string , truly a LOL part of this hysterically funny book). Sure to be a classic, at least in my opinion. I recommend to adults as well as children. Nice fun read!
Sara
Aug 17, 2007 Sara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: candy fans
I went to Thrift Town in San Leandro with Jeff to get books for his 4th grade classroom and this was one of them. We also got a bunch of books about ponies. They're like girl and pony adventures. The creepy or good thing about this book particular book here is that the illustrations are of a strangely stylized preadolescent Jerry Seinfeld with really close together eyes.
Danielle
Oct 12, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS.

This book brought back all kinds of great (and not so great- those damn masks!) Halloween memories for me. Kids and adults will laugh out loud at this wonderfully written, beautiful drawn book. It's an instant classic.
Alyse Liebovich
Oct 25, 2012 Alyse Liebovich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Got to play Seinfeld narrating his own book, while showing classes the illustrations in the book. It was hilarious.
Vamsi19294
Dec 26, 2015 Vamsi19294 rated it really liked it
Seinfeld style. Simple yet funny!
Ben
Sep 30, 2009 Ben rated it it was amazing
Just read this with my kids (8 and 7) and we were all laughing hysterically.
Michelle
Nov 01, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
This book was used to teach the characteristics of a memoir to seventh graders and I would say it was somewhat effective. As a teaching device it made sense and the qualities were easily identifiable to the students, but I don't think they found the story as humorous as I and the other teacher did.

Also, I played the audio of Jerry Seinfeld reading this book which I thought was a nice plus. There is no way I would have done justice to the inflections in the story the way he was able to. So it wa
babyhippoface
Comedian Jerry Seinfeld remembers his childhood nights spent trick-or-treating for Halloween in this picture book that's for...well, I think it's for adults. Remembers is the key word here: lots of things he talks about will make kids laugh (see getthecandy getthecandy getthecandy), but it's the personal memories of Halloween moments that hold the real appeal, and those belong to grown-ups (thin rubber bands on cheap plastic masks that snap the first time you put them on, separating the "good" c ...more
Jessica
Oct 28, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was a very cute book about Halloween that brought back many memories. My friend, Eva, said I had to read it. It was good, but oh, so over the top when he gets to the trick-or-treating.

It reminded me of the masks with the elastic string on the back and how they always broke. My siblings and I had some of those. My mom would hide them in the entrance closet. When she was taking a shower and we were supposed to be watching my brother, Dan, we'd sneak up and get them and scare him. I don't unde
Xiaoxiao Zhu
Oct 28, 2012 Xiaoxiao Zhu rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good picture book about the Halloween. I appreciate this book's cover, because it really attract me to read it, and I'm very curious about the content in it. Whether the content is interesting or colorful? Whether Halloween in the picture book is interesting or boring under the discription of author? Whether Halloween in this book has any differences with other picture books? The answer is 'YES!' From the cover, I can guess the difference and it really brings me a totally ...more
Josiah
Oct 06, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
Well, I thought this book was fantastic!
The story reads like a Jerry Seinfeld stand-up comedy sketch, designed for kids but without playing down as the temptation might have been to do. Jerry Seinfeld's smart observations are endlessly witty and very true, a strength that forms the backbone of the book's plot. I really liked reading about his lifelong take on Halloween and candy, and I would recommend it as an experience to others, as well.
Also, I thought that James Bennett did an excellent j
Tam
Jul 21, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
I think a lot of the humor in this book was over my 5-year-old's head. Or maybe he just didn't think it was funny but I love Jerry Seinfeld! I laughed when he talked about the rubber band that keeps the mask on your face and how often it would break. My child's never had a mask like that so he didn't think it was funny.

Excerpt from the book:
"When you're little, your whole life is up. You want to grow up . . . Wait up! Hold up! Shut up! Mom, I'll clean up! Just let me stay up!
When you're a parent
Mari
Oct 16, 2014 Mari rated it it was amazing
I remember my parents reading me this book when I was younger. I remember my dad laughing his head off about everything he read. I got some of it. The older I get the more I understand his humor. I thought it was pretty funny when I was little, but now this is one of my favorite holiday books. It can still make me laugh so hard! This book was my childhood. My mom would put it out every Halloween and I can never get over the fact that I feel like that little kid that just wants the coolest ...more
Susan Tuttle
Feb 06, 2015 Susan Tuttle rated it really liked it
If you like the humorous style of Jerry Seinfeld, you can't help but love this book. He tells it like it is- at least for children 10 and up. He understands human nature so well, and in this book he reveals that he understands the nature of children as well- it probably helps that he has been one.
The fantastic illustrations in the book match the witty writing. This book is fun for kids, but also provides great entertainment for Mom or Dad at bedtime.
Heidi-Marie
OK, so the hold for this came in really late. Still, I read it. Wasn't very impressed. Some was funny. But there were some random parts that just didn't flow. Maybe it works for a child's stream of conscience--who knows. I didn't follow. Some illustrations were humorous. And some references to Halloween history was a bit haha. But I didn't find it to be all that wow. In fact, a couple parts were a bit obnoxious. But kids might still like it. Especially with the caricature like drawings.
Whitney Strickland
Mar 12, 2011 Whitney Strickland rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday, coffee-table
Although this book is witty, it is not a book that I would have on a book shelf in my classroom. In my opnion this is a book to sit out on the coffee table or in the bathroom for guest to flip through. During October you can find this book on my coffee table. Jerry Seinfeld wrote the book and if you are familiar with him you can pick up his humor in the story immediately. Halloween was written for both kids and adults, but I see it to be post adolescent friendly.
Amber
Apr 30, 2013 Amber marked it as to-read
Shelves: mere-childs-play
"Seinfeld fans will love reading this book about all things Halloween-related. Seinfeld takes a hilarious retrospective look at everything that kids and parents love (and loathe) about Halloween–from bad costumes to horrible candy. The illustrations are cartoony and only seem to add to the book’s already comical portrayal of this kid-favorite holiday. Adults may enjoy this book more than kids, as the irony might be lost on the littler set. Best for: Ages 1-6"
Jennybug
Sep 07, 2014 Jennybug rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorite books to read to 5th and 6th graders. It is just perfect. I love Halloween and I love trick to treating. Heck I would go myself it I didn't love handing out the candy so much. (sometimes I do find myself sneaking over to my neighbors just for fun) I always tell my kids you are never to old to go trick or treating so go throw on a costume. Well, I am rambling but anyway this is a great read aloud for older children.
Mariah
Apr 25, 2013 Mariah rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
It was really cute and I love the illustrations. If you're familiar with Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up, you'll more than likely recognize the story as one of the jokes that he told on his "I'm Telling You For The Last Time" stand-up special. It's more or less that Halloween joke with some changes, and illustrated. Plus, it comes with a CD of him telling that joke in front of an audience.
Miley Smiley
This is a great story to read when teaching voice! This comical story takes you on a trick-or-treating journey with Jerry Seinfeld himself and what it is really like when you were a kid going trick or treating. In this story you can really hear the author's (Jerry Seinfeld) voice as he describes what it was like for him going trick-or-treating as a kid.
Mary Dye
Nov 04, 2015 Mary Dye rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I thought that it was absolutely hilarious, but that is because I could hear Seinfeld saying each and every word from the book since I have watched him on tv. I am not sure if students would find this book as enjoyable as I did, but I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who asks.
Heather
Jun 28, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
37 months - this book is really meant for adults to appreciate and I'm almost a bit sad I read this to my daughter. Ideally I would like her to be excited about Halloween and the opportunity to be creative and enjoy presenting her costume to the neighborhood. I don't want to raise a greedy kid who's only goal is to collect free candy as quickly as possible. Boo for this book.
Brittany
Oct 16, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I love this book! I love comedy acts, and so to read one is something else. Jerry Seinfield is very humorous, so it is very enjoyable to read. I would definitely read this book to my kids and future students. That is why I give this book 5 stars. I like the art a lot too. It is very cute and different. So go buy it and read it! You won't regret it!!!!! :)
Nielson
Oct 27, 2009 Nielson rated it it was amazing
This book is SO funny and even funnier when you listen to it with Jerry Seinfeld narrating. I saw a librarian share it with the students and I couldn't stop laughing! I think it would be better for older kids though--some of the humor might get lost on younger kids. It also has a great message at the end....every kid is superman and is incredible no matter what:)
Becky
Mar 16, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A very fun and nostalgic look at Halloween of old with those plastic masks that were supposed to hold to your head with a single rubber band and the disappointment of having to wear your coat over your costume if it was cold that year. Might be a little too snarky in some areas for kids, but all parents will relate and enjoy!
Kimberlee Denos
Dec 11, 2008 Kimberlee Denos rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it is great! I think this book is really clever because it puts things that we think but never say into words. The book is about a little boy and his experiences with trick or treating. Jerry Seinfeld uses his humor from stand up comedy and it adds so much to the book! This is a very fun book to read during halloween.
Andrea
Sep 14, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Seinfeld fanatics, anyone who loves Halloween
This is one of my favorite books of all time! I absolutely love it! Jerry Seinfeld "narrates" what Halloween was like when he was a kid, complete with his never-ending quest to "get candy" and the challenges of the "perfect" Halloween costume. I make it a point to read this each and every Halloween!
Meaghan
Mar 01, 2008 Meaghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: illustrators
Beautiful illustrations! Terrible story. It's just a recycle of Seinfeld's monologue, not really all that applicable to children of nowadays. I'm tagging it 4 starts under the one listed "James Bennet" who is the illustrator. Visually it's great! Story is... eh.
Stacy
Oct 16, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book by one of my favorite comedians. However they fell very short of my expectations. I liked some of the "jokes" in the book but the tying in to halloween was very loose and inconsistent.
Candy 1 3 Oct 14, 2011 08:29AM
Halloween lovers... 1 10 Aug 03, 2009 01:20PM
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Santa Duck
  • Flight of the Dodo
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • I'm Not Afraid of This Haunted House
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • How Murray Saved Christmas
  • Badger's Fancy Meal
  • The Curious Little Witch
  • Aunt Isabel Tells a Good One
19838
Jerome Allen "Jerry" Seinfeld (born April 29, 1954) is an American comedian, actor and writer, whose style is often described as observational comedy. He is best known for playing a semi-fictional version of himself in the situation comedy, Seinfeld, (1989-1998), which he co-created, helped write and, in the show's final two seasons, executive produced. In his first major foray back into the media ...more
More about Jerry Seinfeld...

“And that's when I realized, when you're a kid you don't need a costume, you ARE superman.” 73 likes