Start by marking “Halloween” as Want to Read:
Halloween

Halloween

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  92 reviews
A humorous tale about the Halloween experience as remembered by the author himself, from bad trick-or-treat candy to pajama-like costumes, enhanced with vibrant illustrations.
Hardcover, A Byron Preiss Book, 30 pages
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween

The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburyGods of The Nowhere by James TipperSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo Hampton
Best Halloween Books
41st out of 348 books — 413 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
62nd out of 230 books — 300 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheri
Halloween (Jerry Seinfeld).
I just love this book. The illustrations are awesome, the story line is so funny an accurate to my childhood trick or treating adventures(especially the plastic mask with the elastic string , truly a LOL part of this hysterically funny book). Sure to be a classic, at least in my opinion. I recommend to adults as well as children. Nice fun read!
Danielle
HILARIOUS.

This book brought back all kinds of great (and not so great- those damn masks!) Halloween memories for me. Kids and adults will laugh out loud at this wonderfully written, beautiful drawn book. It's an instant classic.
Michael
Jerry Seinfeld's "Halloween" is a nostalgic look back at the holiday that will ring true for anyone who remembers the trials and tribulations, not to mention the sheer excitement of, trick-or-treating. The story follows an energetic kid -- we'll call him Little Jerry, of obvious reasons -- as he first learns about the concept of Halloween. "What is this? What did you say? Someone's giving out candy? Who's giving out candy? EVERYONE WE KNOW is just giving out candy?"

From there, Little Jerry sets
Sara
Aug 17, 2007 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: candy fans
I went to Thrift Town in San Leandro with Jeff to get books for his 4th grade classroom and this was one of them. We also got a bunch of books about ponies. They're like girl and pony adventures. The creepy or good thing about this book particular book here is that the illustrations are of a strangely stylized preadolescent Jerry Seinfeld with really close together eyes.
Mari
I remember my parents reading me this book when I was younger. I remember my dad laughing his head off about everything he read. I got some of it. The older I get the more I understand his humor. I thought it was pretty funny when I was little, but now this is one of my favorite holiday books. It can still make me laugh so hard! This book was my childhood. My mom would put it out every Halloween and I can never get over the fact that I feel like that little kid that just wants the coolest costum ...more
Alyse Liebovich
Got to play Seinfeld narrating his own book, while showing classes the illustrations in the book. It was hilarious.
Ben
Just read this with my kids (8 and 7) and we were all laughing hysterically.
Jessica
This was a very cute book about Halloween that brought back many memories. My friend, Eva, said I had to read it. It was good, but oh, so over the top when he gets to the trick-or-treating.

It reminded me of the masks with the elastic string on the back and how they always broke. My siblings and I had some of those. My mom would hide them in the entrance closet. When she was taking a shower and we were supposed to be watching my brother, Dan, we'd sneak up and get them and scare him. I don't unde
Xiaoxiao Zhu
This is a pretty good picture book about the Halloween. I appreciate this book's cover, because it really attract me to read it, and I'm very curious about the content in it. Whether the content is interesting or colorful? Whether Halloween in the picture book is interesting or boring under the discription of author? Whether Halloween in this book has any differences with other picture books? The answer is 'YES!' From the cover, I can guess the difference and it really brings me a totally differ ...more
babyhippoface
Comedian Jerry Seinfeld remembers his childhood nights spent trick-or-treating for Halloween in this picture book that's for...well, I think it's for adults. Remembers is the key word here: lots of things he talks about will make kids laugh (see getthecandy getthecandy getthecandy), but it's the personal memories of Halloween moments that hold the real appeal, and those belong to grown-ups (thin rubber bands on cheap plastic masks that snap the first time you put them on, separating the "good" c ...more
Jennybug
This book is one of my favorite books to read to 5th and 6th graders. It is just perfect. I love Halloween and I love trick to treating. Heck I would go myself it I didn't love handing out the candy so much. (sometimes I do find myself sneaking over to my neighbors just for fun) I always tell my kids you are never to old to go trick or treating so go throw on a costume. Well, I am rambling but anyway this is a great read aloud for older children.
Brittany
I love this book! I love comedy acts, and so to read one is something else. Jerry Seinfield is very humorous, so it is very enjoyable to read. I would definitely read this book to my kids and future students. That is why I give this book 5 stars. I like the art a lot too. It is very cute and different. So go buy it and read it! You won't regret it!!!!! :)
Becky
A very fun and nostalgic look at Halloween of old with those plastic masks that were supposed to hold to your head with a single rubber band and the disappointment of having to wear your coat over your costume if it was cold that year. Might be a little too snarky in some areas for kids, but all parents will relate and enjoy!
Barbara
Fans of Jerry Seinfeld will enjoy reading this one about Halloween. He really hit it right on the mark with those silly elastic bands around those masks!! We shelve this in the children's section, and rightly so, but I have a feeling adults will appreciate this book a lot more than the kids.
Amy Winkelman
Bought this book years ago and my kids still love reading this book. They might not get the reference to the rubber string holding the mask together
( but I sure do) but they enjoy how he talks about getting all the candy. Love his sense of humor!
Josiah
Well, I thought this book was fantastic!
The story reads like a Jerry Seinfeld stand-up comedy sketch, designed for kids but without playing down as the temptation might have been to do. Jerry Seinfeld's smart observations are endlessly witty and very true, a strength that forms the backbone of the book's plot. I really liked reading about his lifelong take on Halloween and candy, and I would recommend it as an experience to others, as well.
Also, I thought that James Bennett did an excellent j
Alyssa
I really loved this book! I love how Jerry Seinfeld just kind of says what every little kid is thinking when they are trick or treating. The artwork was fun and bright as well.
Tam
I think a lot of the humor in this book was over my 5-year-old's head. Or maybe he just didn't think it was funny but I love Jerry Seinfeld! I laughed when he talked about the rubber band that keeps the mask on your face and how often it would break. My child's never had a mask like that so he didn't think it was funny.

Excerpt from the book:
"When you're little, your whole life is up. You want to grow up . . . Wait up! Hold up! Shut up! Mom, I'll clean up! Just let me stay up!
When you're a parent
David Blaylock
Jerry Seinfeld monologue + drawings = Kids Book.
Lori Kuder
silly book that has humor good enough for grownups. Megan loves this book.
Nicolas
Classic Seinfeld bit paired with clever illustrations.
Heidi
OK, so the hold for this came in really late. Still, I read it. Wasn't very impressed. Some was funny. But there were some random parts that just didn't flow. Maybe it works for a child's stream of conscience--who knows. I didn't follow. Some illustrations were humorous. And some references to Halloween history was a bit haha. But I didn't find it to be all that wow. In fact, a couple parts were a bit obnoxious. But kids might still like it. Especially with the caricature like drawings.
Whitney Strickland
Although this book is witty, it is not a book that I would have on a book shelf in my classroom. In my opnion this is a book to sit out on the coffee table or in the bathroom for guest to flip through. During October you can find this book on my coffee table. Jerry Seinfeld wrote the book and if you are familiar with him you can pick up his humor in the story immediately. Halloween was written for both kids and adults, but I see it to be post adolescent friendly.
Amber
Apr 30, 2013 Amber marked it as to-read
Shelves: mere-childs-play
"Seinfeld fans will love reading this book about all things Halloween-related. Seinfeld takes a hilarious retrospective look at everything that kids and parents love (and loathe) about Halloween–from bad costumes to horrible candy. The illustrations are cartoony and only seem to add to the book’s already comical portrayal of this kid-favorite holiday. Adults may enjoy this book more than kids, as the irony might be lost on the littler set. Best for: Ages 1-6"
Heather
37 months - this book is really meant for adults to appreciate and I'm almost a bit sad I read this to my daughter. Ideally I would like her to be excited about Halloween and the opportunity to be creative and enjoy presenting her costume to the neighborhood. I don't want to raise a greedy kid who's only goal is to collect free candy as quickly as possible. Boo for this book.
Mariah
It was really cute and I love the illustrations. If you're familiar with Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up, you'll more than likely recognize the story as one of the jokes that he told on his "I'm Telling You For The Last Time" stand-up special. It's more or less that Halloween joke with some changes, and illustrated. Plus, it comes with a CD of him telling that joke in front of an audience.
Nielson
This book is SO funny and even funnier when you listen to it with Jerry Seinfeld narrating. I saw a librarian share it with the students and I couldn't stop laughing! I think it would be better for older kids though--some of the humor might get lost on younger kids. It also has a great message at the end....every kid is superman and is incredible no matter what:)
Miley Smiley
This is a great story to read when teaching voice! This comical story takes you on a trick-or-treating journey with Jerry Seinfeld himself and what it is really like when you were a kid going trick or treating. In this story you can really hear the author's (Jerry Seinfeld) voice as he describes what it was like for him going trick-or-treating as a kid.
Kimberlee Denos
I love this book, it is great! I think this book is really clever because it puts things that we think but never say into words. The book is about a little boy and his experiences with trick or treating. Jerry Seinfeld uses his humor from stand up comedy and it adds so much to the book! This is a very fun book to read during halloween.
Lauren
On your recommendation, Cynthia, I had to read this one. It was spot on! Not having a mother who knew how to sew, I forever had those lousy boxed costumes with the stiflingly hot masks. Hilariously funny, all 3 of my sons laughed out loud. Highly recommended for all Gen-xers!
Candy 1 3 Oct 14, 2011 08:29AM
Halloween lovers... 1 10 Aug 03, 2009 01:20PM
  • Santa Duck
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Piggie Pie!
  • Spooky Hour
  • Flight of the Dodo
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin
  • Piggy Bunny
  • Billy Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem
  • Halloween (The Best of Martha Stewart Living)
  • Cinderhazel: The Cinderella of Halloween
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • In a Blue Room
19838
Jerome Allen "Jerry" Seinfeld (born April 29, 1954) is an American comedian, actor and writer, whose style is often described as observational comedy. He is best known for playing a semi-fictional version of himself in the situation comedy, Seinfeld, (1989-1998), which he co-created, helped write and, in the show's final two seasons, executive produced. In his first major foray back into the media ...more
More about Jerry Seinfeld...
SeinLanguage The Seinfeld Scripts: The First and Second Seasons I'm Telling You For The Last Time Sein Off: Inside The Final Days Of Seinfeld O Melhor Livro Sobre Nada

“And that's when I realized, when you're a kid you don't need a costume, you ARE superman.” 68 likes