Start by marking “The John Cheever Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
The John Cheever Audio Collection

The John Cheever Audio Collection

Here are twelve magnificent stories in which John Cheever celebrates -- with unequaled grace and tenderness -- the deepest feelings we have.

As Cheever writes in his preface, 'These stories seem at times to be stories of a long-lost world when the city of New York was still filled with a river light, when you heard the Benny Goodman quartets from a radio in the corner stati
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 17th 2003 by Caedmon (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The John Cheever Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The John Cheever Audio Collection

Realini
Apr 22, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing
The Season of Divorce by John Cheever

Impressive, outstanding- these are the words that come to mind when I think about this and to the other John Cheever stories I have read so far.
I had known that John Cheever is an excellent author, because I had read Falconer and The Wapshot Chronicle, but I did not know he won both the National Booker Prize and the Pulitzer. The latter was awarded for his short stories, which I am in the process of reading now.
For The Season of divorce we have a narrator, wh
Dolly Anderson
Mar 27, 2016 Dolly Anderson rated it it was ok
While reading a different book, "The Rumor" by Elin Hilderbrand, one of the characters talks to the woman he's interested in about his passion for reading and speaks of all the great books he's read and that they weren't to be missed, he considered them "musts". So I thought WOW, to get mentioned in other books (novels of today) that these books must indeed be worth taking my time to investigate. Therefore I made a list, and with no particular order, other then being able to obtain them at the l ...more
Jeff Bottrell
Jul 26, 2016 Jeff Bottrell rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of Cheever short stories read by some fantastic and well-known actors. Cheever reads the last two himself, and unsurprisingly, does poorly. Writers who can't emote. Listen to The Lovely Bones as another example.
Judi
Sep 20, 2014 Judi rated it it was amazing
Ah, listening to these short stories is, for me, the best way to immerse ones self in the essence of John Cheever. The narrators are the best ever. John Cheever himself reading a couple. Cheever is a short story master. I can relate to his nostalgia, his New England background, his dark sardonic tone. He captures the conflict between how we are perceived by others and how we really are, off stage. In our intimate lives. All of this bound up in a short stories. My two favorites in this collection ...more
Fred
May 31, 2013 Fred rated it it was amazing
I had read only a couple of John Cheever's short stories before, and listening to these offerings as read by well-known actors (with two read by Cheever himself) made me realize what a sad gap in my reading life that was. I will have to read more, and soon.

Without going into a protracted and possibly irritating analysis of all the things that make these stories so effective, so well-written, so evocative, and so knowing, I simply can't give a good account of all their fine qualities. What struck
Zach Gray
Aug 06, 2014 Zach Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Mostly enjoyed these. A couple lost my interest because the narrator was lacking. It's unfortunate that all the readers on this collection weren't great because I think Cheever's writing is so good. Meryl Streep narrates two of the stories and she performs wonderfully, of course.

"The Swimmer" is so good, but it wasn't nearly as impactful when read aloud by Cheever unfortunately. Go read it if you haven't.
Diane
Feb 22, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
I don't always like short stories, but these were good. They're mostly takes of suburbia. Bored housewives, cheating spouses, and lots of cocktails (mostly gin). Cheever looks at the face people show to the world and what's really underneath. He gets to the ugly.

Listening to the audio version was the perfect way to absorb these stories. Meryl Streep and Blythe Danner were awesome. It was only when I heard a couple other, less skillfully narrated stories, that I realized how much the storyteller
Mark
Mar 05, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
This collection of John Cheever stories is uneven. The stories themselves are great, some of the best stories by possible the best short story writer of all time. The problem with the audio collection is the uneven quality of the narrators. Blythe Danner and Meryl Streep are superb, Peter Gallagher is OK, but George Plimpton and John Cheever himself are not great. They both spoke in heavily accented English, which just isn't a good fit for an audio book.
Evie Hemphill
Dec 03, 2012 Evie Hemphill rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the understated quality of the plots and people in these stories, and how they're not in a hurry to make a point or show off. The endings are quiet, unexpected, yet satisfying. "The Five Forty-Eight" and "The Sorrows of Gin" struck me as especially interesting, with the tales told from oddly revealing points of view. The readers also make this audio collection worthwhile--George Plimpton, Meryl Streep, and Cheever himself in the last two. Streep is especially fun--in "The Enormous Radi ...more
Dorothy
Apr 26, 2012 Dorothy rated it liked it
I had not previously read anything by this author and would now like to read more. I think he is a master of the short story format. Having said that, I think I enjoyed the earlier ones in the collection rather than the later ones as they seemed to be more tautly written.

The edition I chose was an audio version with the stories being read by a variety of well-known actors including Meryl Streep and Blythe Danner which greatly added to my enjoyment of the stories. The last two stories in the coll
Jen
Jul 13, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
Especially George Plimpton!
These are striking stories that stick around in my unconscious. The one about the doorman at Christmas, about generosity and condescension and resentment...
And the language!
Zachariah
Jan 23, 2016 Zachariah rated it really liked it
An excellent writer.

But I preferred all the other voice readers to him.
Christopher
May 05, 2011 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Sharp, witty, sad – these stories are little pieces of the past. Each is expertly crafted honing in on passing moments in a person’s life, and then leaving you wanting more.

I particularly liked “The Enormous Radio” which feels like a 1950’s twitter feed. & Meryl Streep has a great time reading it, giving great character to the disembodied voices from the apartment.

Also: “The Swimmer” which reminds me of jumping fences in suburbia.
Don
Jul 06, 2016 Don rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Wow. Just wow.
Bayneeta
May 01, 2010 Bayneeta rated it really liked it
A collection of a dozen Cheever stories. Meryl Streep, Edward Herrmann, Blythe Danner, George Plimpton, Peter Galagher and John Cheever himself read two a piece. New York City and it's surrounding commuter suburbs in the forties and fifties. Music on the radio, cocktail parties, the stresses of life in a by-gone era. Not particularly upbeat, but always interesting.
Kathy
Jan 25, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
I loved this performance! the narrators did a wonderful job!
Rachel
Feb 18, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I love the way John Cheever writes and makes entire stories out of "normal" situations. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because after all of those "normal" events and people, I felt like I was the odd man out for not leading a depressing life, having affairs and a few too many martinis.
Alexis
Jul 06, 2014 Alexis rated it it was amazing
"Alice Malloy had dark, stringy hair, and even her husband, who loved her more than he knew, was sometimes reminded by her lean face of a tenement doorway on a rainy day, for her countenance was long, vacant, and weakly lighted, a passage for the gentle transports and miseries of the poor."
Krys Gut
May 11, 2012 Krys Gut rated it it was ok
The book strings together a number of short-stories, all set in a simpler time. But the problems people seem to have are similar across the ages, they are just packaged differently.

Still an overall boring read.
Kristina
Jun 01, 2012 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, audio, 2012
Well crafted; I got a little tired of it after a while. Similar character types with similar moral overtones took away some of the umph.
Alex Flynn
Worth it just to here John Cheever read his own words, although his reading is at times incomprehensible.
Alison
Mar 21, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
This is fun because the stories are read by a variety of famous actors and by the author himself.
Jesse Crockett
Oct 14, 2013 Jesse Crockett rated it it was amazing
Half CS Lewis, half Norman Rockwell, half Chuck Palahniuk. What a name.
Steven
Jul 15, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
learning to appreciate the greatness that is john cheever
Susan Murphy
Susan Murphy is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Danee
Danee rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Suyaib A
Suyaib A marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Cheever was an American novelist and short story writer, sometimes called "the Chekhov of the suburbs" or "the Ovid of Ossining." His fiction is mostly set in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the suburbs of Westchester, New York, and old New England villages based on various South Shore towns around Quincy, Massachusetts, where he was born.

His main themes include the duality of human nature:
More about John Cheever...