Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)

Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories #6)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  12 reviews
World War Two is changing everything in Molly's life. First Dad left for England, and now Aunt Eleanor plans to join the WASPs--the Women's Airforce Service Pilots. In Molly Takes Flight, Molly longs for something that won't change, like the North Star shining at the end of the Little Dipper.

After you read Molly's story, learn how to make your own stargazer, just like Moll...more
Published March 1st 1999 by American Girl

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
83rd out of 124 books — 40 voters
Art of the Le Mans Race Car by Stuart CodlingForm Follows Function by Stuart CodlingTaking Flight by Vicki Van MeterMolly Takes Flight by Valerie TrippThe Art of the Formula 1 Race Car by Stuart Codling
books about cars and airplanes
4th out of 5 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bree
This review is from the perspective of a mother -- Molly continues to struggle with the changes that wartime has brought to her life, but although she starts of pretty whiny and temper-tantrumy, by the end of the book she begins to learn empathy, so more character development in this short story than we get in several books in her core series!

The Looking Back section gives interesting details on women's roles during the war, making for a well-rounded story that I look forward to sharing with my...more
StoryStereo
I really liked this book. It was simple enough for a kid to understand, but I feel it's also complex (for lack of a better term) for a teen or adult to read. I also think that it could possibly be read without reading the main, 6-book series. And if a few more details were added (which honestly, I think that could've been, unless the writer didn't feel she could), when it could be, for sure.

It's funny, this story, as I'm surprised that I like it. I usually find main character, Molly annoying, mo...more
Alex Baugh
Ever since the war began, Molly has been having a hard time dealing with all the changes it brought in her family. Her dad is still in Europe with the army, her mom is busy with her Red Cross work, Jill has been volunteering at the Veteran's Hospital, even Ricky has a job mowing lawns in the neighborhood and younger brother Brad is off to camp every day.

Now, it is August and Molly is visiting her grandparents farm by herself for the first time. Now, here with grandpa, grammy and the familiar sme...more
Karol
This was a great short story that provides just enough of a history lesson along with Molly's feelings about everything changing around her. I liked that it touched on her Aunt Eleanor's plans to join the Women's Airforce Service Pilots.
Kelly
Molly is a little unsure about all the changes taking place during the war. Her father is away, and now her Aunt Eleanor is trying to join the WASPs, which means she'll be going away too. As Molly struggles with the changes, she learns the value of home and having a 'north star'.

Molly Takes Flight offers a look at a young girl's perspective as her family deals with the effects of war. The story presents just enough information about the war to be informative, but also provides enough of a story...more
Kristine Pratt
I enjoyed this look at the WASPs, women pilots during WWII. The real value in this book is in the "Looking Back" section at the end of the book (and in the craft project, now I want to make a Stargazer!).

Molly is still enjoyable as always. And her common sense and compassion really shine through in this book. All in all, highly recommended!
Snorkle
This book had a good message, and I thought the story did a nice job of portraying the war in a simple and yet understandable manner. I would probably recommend to people who were already a fan of the Molly series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
This is such a short and sweet book. I love early aviation flights and overall excitement of the exploration. Women rarely flew and to have an aunt that did just that must have been amazing.
Miss Clark
Read in year of publication - short story
Jacqueline
May 03, 2013 MJ added it
Shelves: added-for-odc
2 copies
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jennifer Rayburn
Jennifer Rayburn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Jul 07, 2014
Aracely
Aracely marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Holly Letson
Holly Letson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 13, 2014
Daisy
Daisy added it
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (An American Girl: Addy #2)
  • Lindsey
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Jess (American Girl Today)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Kailey
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t...more
More about Valerie Tripp...
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)