Sunday Houses the Sunday House

Sunday Houses the Sunday House

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
2006 Iowa Poetry Prize winner
In Sunday Houses the Sunday House, Elizabeth Hughey embraces the possibility that we can learn as much from objects as we can from other people, from the inanimate as much as the animate. Each poem descends upon a place and a time, takes a few notes, and then leaves quietly without slamming any doors. Sunday Houses the Sunday House reveals what...more
Published April 1st 2007 by University Of Iowa Press (first published 2007)

Andrea Dapkus
I am a huge fan of the Sunday House and have long anticipated the next great book from my very favorite poet. The Guest Host gives us a peek at our everyday selves through the eyes of extraordinary artist.
khatch
i think elizabeth hughey is secretly zach savich's sister. zach, are you on this thing? i want to be friends with your sister. but she writes more prose poems and james tate-y (she went to amherst and it seems the big j is smitten-kitten). "happiest hours" i likey. it's a movie-poem.
James Grinwis

This book is the best book of poetry I've read in about five years, since Dean Young's Strike Anywhere. So compelling, the voice, it makes me nervous because it is so good. Beautiful, new, and funny sad, sad funny, totally good. Read this book.

Melissa
Only a handful of these poems really struck me -- How Do We Know the Blood, Hailstorm, Country Song, a couple more -- without those I'd be disappointed. I wondered where the necessity or urgency was. Is playfulness not enough for me? Maybe.
Melissa
This is the book that I liked best of the recent bunch of poetry that I picked up from the library. I enjoyed Hughley's playfulness and vocabulary, but preferred the poems in the beginning of the book to the later ones.
Caroline
My faves:

"No One Need Invite the Ant"
"This Time I Draw Him with my Eyes Closed"
"Country Song"
"Thought Police"
jessica
I really enjoyed these poems. One of the best books of poems that have came out recently that I have had the pleasure of reading.
C. Carrier
I love Elizabeth Hughey and her poems.
Susan
this is a great book.
cindy
L.O.V.E.D. this book.
Robin
A must read.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Pierce
Pierce marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 25, 2010
Stef
Stef marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2009
Tarpaulin Sky
Tarpaulin Sky marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2009
Christian Peet
Christian Peet marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2009