Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)

Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten #5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,256 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Ten-year-old Kirsten is proud and excited when she finds a bee tree full of honey, one of the natural treasures of her Minnesota frontier world, but she exposes herself to great danger by trying to harvest the honey by herself.
67 pages
Published 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

Bree
This review is from the perspective of a mother - while I think there are very valuable lessons imparted in this book, I think they might be a bit too subtle and require some parent-child conversation about risk-taking and responsibility.

Kirsten's heart is in the right place, wanting to make a difference for her family by harvesting the honey, but she definitely gets in over her head, ignores warning signs, and puts herself and her brother in danger in the process. The lack of punishment is pro...more
Ashley
In this book, Kirsten finds a bee tree and thinks she can extract the honey all by herself to surprise her parents (so they can barter it at the town store for the extra things they need.) Kirsten makes some bad choices and gets into some trouble with a bear cub and its mother. But she learns a lesson and shows how brave she is. And in this book, she is a really good big sister to her young brother Peter. Abby was happy that the family went into town for the Fourth of July and that Kirsten got a...more
Becky
Kirsten Saves the Day

Grades 4-6

The illustrations by Renee Graef incorporate a large span of graphics from realistic, colored drawings to reliefs and small iconic symbols. These illustrations appear on nearly every page and faithfully follow the current text and present a guided view of the story to the reader. The story is presented in a straightly chronological manner and effectively captures cause and effect elements in regards to decisions and actions. The text is presented in descriptive and...more
Christina
I just love the Kirsten books. I love that Janet Beeler Shaw doesn't shy from putting her American Girls in real peril. It makes their stories SO much more interesting than some of the new ones (ahem, CécileMarieGraceJulie). Plus I've always loved the prairie life stuff.
Marya
What dangers await little girls in the summer, sunny woods of Minnesota in 1854? Bears! Kirsten finds a honey tree and decides to try and collect the honey herself, despite seeing claw marks in the bark and paw prints in the dirt. While the phrase "a mother bear and her cubs" conjures up images of maternal warmth and protection to me, thanks to this book, it also conjures up pictures of puppy dogs getting their hind legs nearly cut off. Good thing Kirsten and her little brother weren't mauled--...more
Shelli
Kirsten's good intentions to help her family financially lead her and her young brother into trouble and danger. This look into life for a pioneer family of 1854 really shows how they lived and how they shopped. Bartering items like jarred preserves, chickens, and honey to exchange for a much needed saw and shoes was a common thing at that time. Today people are so used to swiping a plastic card and simply walking out the store with all the things they want and need plus many that they don't. Th...more
Felicity The Magnificent
I liked this book because it was a July story, and on July 4th all of the families would go to town and bring stuff for the storekeeper to sell. Kirsten found a bee tree, and Kirsten wanted to get the honey by herself so that it would be a suprise for her family. One day she found a bear, and her dad found her, so her dad said he would help her take the bee tree, and they would make a new home for the bees on their farm. When the shopkeeper tasted the honey, he said it was the best honey ever an...more
Shannon
Moira liked the other Kirsten book so much, she's been checking the rest of them out for us to read. This was her second pick, and I really liked that Kirsten is consistently brave and saving other people from danger.
Tanya
Madeline and I didn't enjoy this Kirsten book quite as much as the previous ones. We thought Kirsten was stupid to think she could get honey out of a bee tree by herself, yet we didn't like how angry her pioneer father became. It did show us that the relationships between parents and children are different now than they used to be, perhaps by necessity since the frontier was such a dangerous place. Still, 3 1/2 stars.
Mary Bronson
Kristen is such a brave and spirited character. She is 10 years old and wants to help out her family in any way she can. When she finds the bee tree and has the idea of getting the honey all by herself she might be in a little bit over her head.
I think that Kirsten regressed in this book, but I also think it showed her age. Reading the information portion of the age stupid things like not following what your parents say could be life threatening in the era that Kirsten lived in. It makes sense why they would learn, "honor thy father and mother," at a young age.
Anna
One day Kirsten and Peter went in the forest. Kirsten found a honey tree! The next day Kirsten and peter heard a growl. By the honey tree it was a bear! Kirsten told Peter to climb a tree. Kirsten did that too. The bear went away and Pa came.
Christi
Robyn
It's nice to have a suspenseful Kirsten book that has a good (tho unrealistic) ending, despite the fact that she made some fool-hearty decisions that could've easily ended in tragedy.
Phoebe
Not one of the stronger books in the series. Kirsten comes across as a bit daft, negating much of her characterization, growth, and group-mindedness in the previous two books.
Mary
kirsten finds a hive and wants to get the honey herself. I know how it is wanting to surprise someone but sometimes it doesnt work out too well
Emily
Nov 27, 2013 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: my grandparents
I didn't enjoy this Kirsten book as much as the others. It was still good but I felt in some parts the author dragged on on the same subjects.
Rivkah.
Another nice American Girl book. I liked how it showed Kirsten's bravery, but also how even a hero needs help.
Esther May
I like Kirsten, I like her stories and the kind of girl that she is. She tries to do the right thing.
Tricia
book five, a summer story. kirsten discovers some honey in a tree and runs into bear trouble.
Anna
I thought she was SO DUMB not to just get help with the bees. Even when I was 10. :P
Jessie
Kirsten tries to collect honey but runs into a bear sized problem.
Heather
Another good story. Kirsten finds honey... and bears. Antics ensue.
Stephanie
This book should be called "Kirsten Makes Bad Choices".
Madeline
Great addition to the Kirsten series.
Helena
Cws
May 20, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Ame
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)
  • Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1) Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3) Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4) Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)