Start by marking “Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)” as Want to Read:
Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)

Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten #5)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,922 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Ten-year-old Kirsten is proud and excited when she finds a bee tree full of honey, one of the natural treasures of her Minnesota frontier world, but she exposes herself to great danger by trying to harvest the honey by herself.
67 pages
Published 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Kirsten Saves the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kirsten Saves the Day

Sep 20, 2008 Christi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-1
Aug 08, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
kirsten finds a hive and wants to get the honey herself. I know how it is wanting to surprise someone but sometimes it doesnt work out too well
Kirsten Saves the Day

Grades 4-6

The illustrations by Renee Graef incorporate a large span of graphics from realistic, colored drawings to reliefs and small iconic symbols. These illustrations appear on nearly every page and faithfully follow the current text and present a guided view of the story to the reader. The story is presented in a straightly chronological manner and effectively captures cause and effect elements in regards to decisions and actions. The text is presented in descriptive and
Oct 03, 2016 Xyra rated it really liked it
A very interesting story. The neat thing about these books is that Kirsten acts like a normal girl (maybe a bit extra polite) trying to gain the approval of her parents in showing how grown up she can be. In the meantime, her plans tend to go awry - but she learns a lesson about that current activity. Does she apply the lessons to future plans? Not always.

Another neat thing about Kirsten's books is the sensibility of the time. She loves nature and animals, but also knows those the very things he
Feb 21, 2011 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This review is from the perspective of a mother - while I think there are very valuable lessons imparted in this book, I think they might be a bit too subtle and require some parent-child conversation about risk-taking and responsibility.

Kirsten's heart is in the right place, wanting to make a difference for her family by harvesting the honey, but she definitely gets in over her head, ignores warning signs, and puts herself and her brother in danger in the process. The lack of punishment is pro
Mar 28, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Kirsten finds a bee tree and thinks she can extract the honey all by herself to surprise her parents (so they can barter it at the town store for the extra things they need.) Kirsten makes some bad choices and gets into some trouble with a bear cub and its mother. But she learns a lesson and shows how brave she is. And in this book, she is a really good big sister to her young brother Peter. Abby was happy that the family went into town for the Fourth of July and that Kirsten got a ...more
May 01, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-by-myself
One day Kirsten and Peter went in the forest. Kirsten found a honey tree! The next day Kirsten and peter heard a growl. By the honey tree it was a bear! Kirsten told Peter to climb a tree. Kirsten did that too. The bear went away and Pa came.
Jul 29, 2011 Rivkah. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice American Girl book. I liked how it showed Kirsten's bravery, but also how even a hero needs help.
I think that Kirsten regressed in this book, but I also think it showed her age. Reading the information portion of the age stupid things like not following what your parents say could be life threatening in the era that Kirsten lived in. It makes sense why they would learn, "honor thy father and mother," at a young age.
Dec 04, 2011 Tanya rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, i-own-it
Madeline and I didn't enjoy this Kirsten book quite as much as the previous ones. We thought Kirsten was stupid to think she could get honey out of a bee tree by herself, yet we didn't like how angry her pioneer father became. It did show us that the relationships between parents and children are different now than they used to be, perhaps by necessity since the frontier was such a dangerous place. Still, 3 1/2 stars.
Kirsten's good intentions to help her family financially lead her and her young brother into trouble and danger. This look into life for a pioneer family of 1854 really shows how they lived and how they shopped. Bartering items like jarred preserves, chickens, and honey to exchange for a much needed saw and shoes was a common thing at that time. Today people are so used to swiping a plastic card and simply walking out the store with all the things they want and need plus many that they don't. Th ...more
Kaitlin Caudle
Kaitlin Caudle rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2012
Jun 16, 2012 Robyn rated it liked it
It's nice to have a suspenseful Kirsten book that has a good (tho unrealistic) ending, despite the fact that she made some fool-hearty decisions that could've easily ended in tragedy.
Felicity The Magnificent
Jul 29, 2012 Felicity The Magnificent rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it was a July story, and on July 4th all of the families would go to town and bring stuff for the storekeeper to sell. Kirsten found a bee tree, and Kirsten wanted to get the honey by herself so that it would be a suprise for her family. One day she found a bear, and her dad found her, so her dad said he would help her take the bee tree, and they would make a new home for the bees on their farm. When the shopkeeper tasted the honey, he said it was the best honey ever an ...more
Jun 03, 2013 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
What dangers await little girls in the summer, sunny woods of Minnesota in 1854? Bears! Kirsten finds a honey tree and decides to try and collect the honey herself, despite seeing claw marks in the bark and paw prints in the dirt. While the phrase "a mother bear and her cubs" conjures up images of maternal warmth and protection to me, thanks to this book, it also conjures up pictures of puppy dogs getting their hind legs nearly cut off. Good thing Kirsten and her little brother weren't mauled-- ...more
Nov 27, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: my grandparents
I didn't enjoy this Kirsten book as much as the others. It was still good but I felt in some parts the author dragged on on the same subjects.
Esther May
Oct 15, 2014 Esther May rated it really liked it
I like Kirsten, I like her stories and the kind of girl that she is. She tries to do the right thing.
Mary Bronson
Dec 28, 2013 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
Kristen is such a brave and spirited character. She is 10 years old and wants to help out her family in any way she can. When she finds the bee tree and has the idea of getting the honey all by herself she might be in a little bit over her head.
Jan 09, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Moira liked the other Kirsten book so much, she's been checking the rest of them out for us to read. This was her second pick, and I really liked that Kirsten is consistently brave and saving other people from danger.
Jan 30, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
I just love the Kirsten books. I love that Janet Beeler Shaw doesn't shy from putting her American Girls in real peril. It makes their stories SO much more interesting than some of the new ones (ahem, CécileMarieGraceJulie). Plus I've always loved the prairie life stuff.
Jul 28, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
Kirsten's family is in need of money to buy supplies, so when she discovers a bee tree she's so excited, finally she'll be able to do something to help the family, but her foolish desire to do it all herself almost gets her and Peter mauled by a bear! Can Kirsten save the day and salvage this terrible mistake in time to help her family get the important supplies they need?
Becky Keir Grace
Kirsten discovers a bee tree and believes if she can collect all the honey herself, she will be a big hero. Her family is in need of money to purchase much needed supplies. They journey into the woods again trying to find a way to bring back the honey. While exploring their surroundings, Kirsten, her little brother and his dog come into contact with a bear cub, which means mamma bear is not too far off. Kirsten and Peter climb up a tree to get away from the bear.

*sigh. So far this has been my l
Angela Juline
Feb 24, 2015 Angela Juline rated it really liked it
I wanted to give these a try since I have a lot of students who struggle meeting their AR goals...these are so easy to read! I think I finished it in 30 minutes! I can now confidently recommend these to struggling readers at my school.

j rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2015
I had to stop partway through this book to check that the author hadn't changed mid-series. It certainly feels like it was produced by a completely different writer. The story itself is decent, although Kirsten doesn't quite seem like the same character whose personality grew throughout the other books. More frustrating, though, is the sudden choppiness of the writing. So many of the sentences turned into exclamations! This isn't the case with the other books in this series! Why is everything su ...more
Athénaïs Bléhaut
Athénaïs Bléhaut rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Nov 12, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing
Alissa was very excited by the baby bear. For days she said: Where there's a baby bear, watch out! There's a mama nearby.
Simran Cheema
Jan 06, 2016 Simran Cheema rated it it was amazing
kirsten is a very good girl and one day she went with her brother somewhere and found girl ad then all of a sudden they knew they could not tell this to papa because you didnt read the book then you will find out
Sarah Crawford
Feb 16, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
In this story Kirsten finds a tree with bees in the forest and wants to get the honey so she can give it to her parents and they can sell it. Unfortunately, things go less than smoothly for her and she ends up in a tree, chased there by a bear.

Later her father is able to get the bees from the tree and takes them to their home so they will have honey for the next year. They are able to take honey from the tree and sell it along with wax from the beehive.

The historical section talks about the typ
Amy Lane
Oct 07, 2016 Amy Lane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book.
I recommend it.
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)

American Girls: Kirsten (6 books)
  • Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)