Start by marking “Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes]” as Want to Read:
Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes]

Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes] (American Girls: Josefina #1-6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,102 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Josefina and her sisters have been struggling ever since Mama died a year ago. When Mama's sister, Tia Dolores, comes to live on their rancho, the girls are overjoyed. At last, they have someone to help and teach them as Mama used to. Tia Dolores has lots of new ideas, too! When Papa's sheep are killed in a flood, Tia Dolores comes up with the idea to start a weaving busin ...more
Published July 28th 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Josefina Story Collection [With 3 Mini Paper Dolls with 2 Mini Scenes]

Taylor Munson
When I was younger I loved this book as well. I thought that Josefina's stories in particular were amazing. I believe I loved how she truly did embrace a completely different culture than I did. It was nice to be young and to see how people lived in different circumstances. When I re-read this book, I loved to remember her stories and how dedicated to her family she was. These American Girl Doll Books are great books for kids to learn about different cultures and people.
Kimberly
Personal reaction: I love these books! Josefina is such a wonderful character and the events that take place in her books are exciting and enjoyable to read.

Purposes: This would be an independent read for grades 2nd-4th. Girls would particularly enjoy these books and relate to them because Josefina is a 10 year old girl. This book could be used in a realistic fiction unit, or in historical fiction. Josefina lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1824 and her stories would be a great way to teach diver
Loraena
We enjoyed listening to this series on audio. I learned some things about the history of the american south west and we enjoyed the sweet portrayal of family life in a different culture and time.
Melissa
***Book on CDs***
I did not expect an American Girl series to be so historical and authentic. This is a fun series about a Mexican American girl and her culture. The setting is authentically described and the Spanish words add to the authenticity. The back of the book will certainly help the students as there is a dictionary with the meanings of the words. Josefina has a great relationship with her family and displays the importance of family in the Mexican American community. This is a great ser
Rachel
I like this series of books better than I thought I would. Josephina is the youngest of four sisiters and their mother died just a year ago when the stories start. The author was sure to put in quite a few elements of Josephina's Catholic faith. I found it quite interesting that children were taught to be seen and not heard in Josephina's culture; so different from today. I also appreciated the glossary at the back with definitions for all the Spanish words used.
Julie Doherty
Reading this (entire collection) to the girls. They love it- and so do I! There are great historical lessons as well as life lessons to be learned in this series. It also helps supplement the Spanish we are attempting to learn!

Update: Finished the whole Josefina collection and we all loved it. Josefina is a fine example of a hard-working young lady with manners, curiosity and joy for life. I highly recommend it to all girls!
Nicole
My daughter moved from the little house books to this volume of American girl books. She has really enjoyed this story about a 10 year old New Mexican girl and her family after the death of their mother. After reading the books, I found a copy of the audio book at the library and she is listening to it constantly. I'm not excited about the whole American Girl branding phenomenon but the history and innocence of the stories are great.
Myra
I was so happy to read these after the Felicity series, and to find that the good old wonderful values I found in the Kaya series had returned. These values kind of got skipped in Felicity, but they are wonderfully strong in Josefina.

I will be very glad to read this series to my daughter this fall for our Liberty Girls club, and there will be so many wonderful values, principles and experiences to talk about.
Madison Rademacher
Josefina was definately my favorite. I had her doll. I never realized it but i guess I really do like westerns. Its all about the frontier for me. & the southwest. I always have a thing for the southwest. The combination of native american and spanish culture is just so rich in tradition. I dunno theres just something about it. But yeah Joesfina was it for me
Rai
Feb 11, 2008 Rai rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ages 8-12
Josefina was MY American Girl. Each of my sisters had a favorite and she was mine. The most magical day of my childhood was when I got the doll of her for my birthday (nevermind that she later became my worst fear because I could have sworn that she stared at me at night and moved of her own accord). I read her books over and over again.
Amanda
Josefina was always my sisters favorite, while I found her quiet and boring. However, in this lovely edition it was easy to reconnect with Josefina and her personality. Tripp does a great job with any of her American Girl books, creating well rounded and interesting characters that have withstood the test of time.
Cindy Clarke
Read these for Lauren's Liberty Girls Club. Cute story, simple messages, fun ideas/activities to make history come alive. Good independent reading for 7-10 yr old girls. Courage, overcoming grief, accepting changes, spinning, weaving, Spanish Christmas traditions, sheep care, gardening/flowers, etc
Kelley
Reviewed by my seven-year-old daughter: Josefina was very adventurous and she loves nature and flowers. She saved her friend from a rattlesnake bit. She wants to be a healer and she loves to help people. She lives with her sisters and her father. Her mother just died and her Tia came to live with them.
Carol Hardesty
One thing I liked about the American Girls was how diverse they were. Despite all of the stories taking place in America, each of the girls had a different ethnicity and individuality that set them apart. For Josefina, it was her Latina heritage and old-fashioned yet broad-minded way of life.
Gracious Pack
I like this series. It tells a lot about Mexico and how they speak. In my book club we made a memory box, a Nina doll, and we made boondoggle. We learned how to make food from Mexico and we have recipe cards for them. We also went to a tortilla factory for a field trip. I really like it.
Rachael
We loved this book on tape, too! I really liked that Josefina isn't your typical strong-willed heroine you see so often these days. She's soft spoken and timid at times, but full of heart and determination. She's happy to follow in her family's traditions, which I also liked.
Amy
We have only read the Felecity series but Bea wanted to try more. We read this and the 2nd book in the series. They were depressing -- so much of the plot hinges on their grief over the mom's death. Bea was not liking them so we didn't continue in the series.
MaryRachel
These are some of my favorite American Girl books. In Josefina: An American Girl, you learn a lot of things about Mexico and in the back is a glossary with the Spanish words they use in the books and what they mean. I would recommend this to anyone!!!
Julie
These were believable and action-packed. The characters are well developed and not so stock that they're completely predictable. We're studying Spanish this year for homeschool, so the Spanish character-names and place-names were a fun bonus.
Miss Clark
Kit
Sigh. Josefina came a bit after the Original Five in what I believe was a marketing ploy. But whatever. Still fun and informative, but this series had a different vibe from the others.
Kersten
I enjoyed the Josefina stories. I thought they were very sweet. Now that I'm used to Tripp's writing style it doesn't bother me as much, but the Kirsten stories will always be my favorites.
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 Annalise rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls 7 to 15
Shelves: american-girls
Josephina (pronouned HO sef ina) is another of my favorites of the American girls. She is so much fun and she's trying to learn to become a healer. I would definatly recommend these.
Savannah
Jun 10, 2007 Savannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 3rd - 4th grade
Read these 6 books about a girl who lost her mother when she was very young. Josefina & her sisters help each toher grow through life without a mother.

The last book was my favorite.
Alexis
Hannah
Totally love this book and I read it in Spanish! Sometimes I have to look up words and so it humbles me to know that have the Spanish vocabulary of a young girl!
Kimberly Hortman
I liked the Josefina stories because I always liked that tome period. I liked learning more about Catholic traditions too, and loved pets even her goat:)
Huda
I read this series when I was 8 and I still love to go back and read little parts of it. The American Girl books were my favorite for a very long time.
Hannah
My sister Kayla got Josefina and she is probably the pretties of all the dolls and her books were really good!
  • Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Jess (American Girl Today)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands, England)
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Josefina (6 books)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • Josefina Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Josefina, #2)
  • Josefina's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American girls: Josefina #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Josefina Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Josefina, #5)
  • Changes for Josefina: A Winter Story
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)