Start by marking “The Ragged, Rugged Warriors” as Want to Read:
The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  40 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
American Curtiss Hawk biplanes against Japanese Zero fighters, jungle air strips barely long enough to get a plane off the ground, sky fighting soldiers of fortune in the shark-faced planes of the Flying Tigers -- this is the epic story of the early air war in the Pacific.
Published May 28th 1985 by Bantam Books (first published March 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Ragged, Rugged Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

May 02, 2012 Wanda rated it it was ok
If I was a 14-year-old-boy, I think I would have loved this book.
I picked it up in a used book store about a year-and-a-half ago when I was looking for books to help me understand the emotional trauma of some of my patients. It took me a while to get through it because, for one reason, I realized pretty quickly that it was a gee-whiz, hero-worshiping book.
One example jumped out at me: When pilot Robert L. Scott is strafing Japanese troops trapped on a causeway, the incident is described gleeful
Jun 17, 2013 Erik rated it really liked it
Martin Caidin does a pretty solid job describing the early air war in Asia, with nice personal accounts from before America entered WW2 that are not common to find (aside from AVG tales that many forget were after US entry). Some sections are gritty, with some of the descriptions of events in China downright appalling with the lack of humanity displayed. That is reality though...war is hell.

Having had a chance to meet/ talk with several of the men MC writes about in this book, I feel comfortabl
Anne Hofferkamp
Feb 10, 2016 Anne Hofferkamp rated it really liked it
The book detailed the early war up until Midway. Caidin made the war real. The sketches were helpful as I'm more familiar with later fighters/bombers than those that won the air war in WW2. Pilots were repairing their planes with makeshift parts to fly against an enemy that was superior in number and quality of flight.
A episodic description of America's early air war against Japan in World War II, when America's airmen flew in outnumbered and outclassed aircraft against the cream of the Imperial Japanese Navy and Army airforces.
Carol Cotter
I registered a book at!
Don Price
Don Price rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Marty rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Michael Pearse
Michael Pearse rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Jim B
Jim B rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2014
Travis rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Philip S
Philip S rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Ken Wheeler
Ken Wheeler rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2010
Avis Black
Oct 04, 2009 Avis Black rated it really liked it
Yet another outstanding book by Caidin.
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Terry rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Neal Flax
Neal Flax rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
E.C. Jacobs
E.C. Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
William  Shep
William Shep rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Knallgiraffe rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Johnny rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2007
Rudy rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Curt rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Marc rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Glen Hobbes
Glen Hobbes rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2008
Allan rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2011
socal91701 rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Christian Cederberg
Christian Cederberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Thomas rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Martin Caidin was a prolific and controversial writer. Most of his work centered around the adventures of pilots and astronauts. A number of his books were notable for their reasonable, realistic predictions of then-futuristic technology.

Caidin's body of work was prolific and varied, ranging from additional speculative/SF novels such as Marooned, which was made into an acclaimed film and considere
More about Martin Caidin...