Start by marking “The Ragged, Rugged Warriors” as Want to Read:
The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
American Curtiss Hawk biplanes against Japanese Zero fighters, jungle air strips barely long enough to get a plane off the ground, sky fighting soldiers of fortune in the shark-faced planes of the Flying Tigers -- this is the epic story of the early air war in the Pacific.
Published May 28th 1985 by Bantam Books (first published March 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Ragged, Rugged Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ragged, Rugged Warriors

Wanda
If I was a 14-year-old-boy, I think I would have loved this book.
I picked it up in a used book store about a year-and-a-half ago when I was looking for books to help me understand the emotional trauma of some of my patients. It took me a while to get through it because, for one reason, I realized pretty quickly that it was a gee-whiz, hero-worshiping book.
One example jumped out at me: When pilot Robert L. Scott is strafing Japanese troops trapped on a causeway, the incident is described gleeful
Erik
Martin Caidin does a pretty solid job describing the early air war in Asia, with nice personal accounts from before America entered WW2 that are not common to find (aside from AVG tales that many forget were after US entry). Some sections are gritty, with some of the descriptions of events in China downright appalling with the lack of humanity displayed. That is reality though...war is hell.

Having had a chance to meet/ talk with several of the men MC writes about in this book, I feel comfortabl
Carol Cotter
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Curtiss
A episodic description of America's early air war against Japan in World War II, when America's airmen flew in outnumbered and outclassed aircraft against the cream of the Imperial Japanese Navy and Army airforces.
Avis Black
Yet another outstanding book by Caidin.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Paul Plourde
Paul Plourde marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Christopher Telcontar
Christopher Telcontar marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Blatantly Oblivious
Blatantly Oblivious marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Clifford Valley
Clifford Valley marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kevin Varley
Kevin Varley marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Terry
Terry added it
Nov 17, 2013
Blackzver411
Blackzver411 marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Caidin was a prolific and controversial writer. Most of his work centered around the adventures of pilots and astronauts. A number of his books were notable for their reasonable, realistic predictions of then-futuristic technology.

Caidin's body of work was prolific and varied, ranging from additional speculative/SF novels such as Marooned, which was made into an acclaimed film and considere
More about Martin Caidin...
Samurai! Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8) Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates (Indiana Jones: Prequels #7) Cyborg Marooned: A Novel