Start by marking “The Stranger She Married (Rogue Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger She Married (Rogue Hearts, #1)

The Stranger She Married (Rogue Hearts #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,157 ratings  ·  226 reviews
When her parents and only brother die within weeks of each other, Alicia and her younger sister are left in the hands of an uncle who has brought them all to financial and social ruin. Desperate to save her family from debtor's prison, Alicia vows to marry the first wealthy man to propose. She meets the dashing Lord Amesbury, and her heart whispers that this is the man she ...more
Published October 10th 2008 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger She Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger She Married

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPersuasion by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
CLEAN Romance Books
79th out of 1,630 books — 1,534 voters
Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenDrops of Gold by Sarah M. EdenThe List by Melanie Jacobson
LDS Romance
39th out of 266 books — 167 voters

More lists with this book...

Julianna
Jul 10, 2009 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Traditional Regency Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I had the privilege of meeting Donna Hatch several months ago at a local event, and upon returning home, I looked up her website to find out more about her debut novel, The Stranger She Married. I was thoroughly intrigued by the synopsis and excerpt of the book I found there, and immediately put in on my TBR list, so when Ms. Hatch recently contacted me about reviewing the book, I was more than happy to oblige. The plot of The Stranger She Married is reminiscent of Kathle
Olivia
I really want to like this book. It had many good comments from other readers of traditional regencies, so maybe my expectations were too high. I found too many inconsistencies in the story line. One moment, the heroine was hating the hero, then the next paragraph they were laughing together in the carriage. In another scene, the characters were eating dinner, then, all of sudden, they were out in the garden. When did they move? I just found many "huh?" moments like that.
I found the heroine sel
Heather
Really good!! When a book makes me feel giddy throughout the day in between reading it, then it's a 5 star read for me, and that's what this was. Donna Hatch has a way of making you fall in love with her male characters! I found myself wanting the heroin to overcome her fears of her scarred husband and let him into her bed,(She married out of neccesity, not love. She doesn't know him and she is scared of what disfigurement he may have behind his cloak and hood). But at the same time, I wanted he ...more
Englishrose
A mixture of romance and mystery, this story is intriguing. Though many factors may seem unrelated or conflicting at first, the author does a wonderful job of tying everything together satisfactorily. Alicia is a strong character that really pulls you into her emotions, problems and personal conflicts. Cole is a noble and determined character who you just have to love. A little slow to start, the ending is exciting though I felt that it was perhaps to easy once you saw all the pieces. Twists and ...more
Inspired Kathy
Nov 29, 2012 Inspired Kathy marked it as to-read
Oh I really liked this one! Is that a long enough review? Probably not but is sums it up pretty well.

I'm a huge fan of this kind of fantasy romance. Donna Hatch weaves together a great mix of forbidden romance, action and suspense in a world of mythical creatures and warring countries. The book captured my attention and kept me turning pages. I'm definitely going to give one of Donna's regency romances a try hoping they will be as fabulous as this book was.

Rating: 4.5 Stars - Highly Recommend

Con
Heidi
I was torn on whether to give this book a five or a four because there were a few things that I didn't like in the plot. (Can't say what it was because it would give things away:)...but having said that, I still actually loved the book....I and had a very hard time putting it down and I can't wait to start the 2nd in the series!
Angie Cornelison
Absolutely LOVED this one! I love a good romance. This one did not disappoint! It even had a great mystery to it, which made it even better. If that was even possible. This is one I'll be rereading soon!
Kristina
Rating: 4 stars.
I really liked this story. I read the book twice within a short period of time, as I do with most books I thoroughly enjoy. I liked it the first time but even more so the second time around. This book reminded me very much of two Marcia Lynn McClure books, "The Highwayman of Tanglewood" and "Shackles of Honour".

Alicia Palmer and her younger sister Hannah live with their uncle Willard and his son Robert, since the death of their parents and their brother Armand. Due to their uncl
Okay, so this is a ROMANCE novel. Not a “bodice ripper”romance novel. Think of a combination of “Beauty and the Beast” and “You’ve Got Mail” set in Jane Austin’s England and you have some idea of this story. Alicia Palmer is a twenty-something young woman of marriageable age who because of the financial reverses suffered by her family finds herself in the unenviable position of being basically auctioned off to the highest bidder in order to keep what’s left of her family from going to debtors pr ...more
Mary Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
For full post please visit Buried Under Romance

The Stranger She Married has a Cinderella theme with a charming viscount who is not all that he seems, and a sweet heroine who is kind and loyal to others despite her own desperate situation. Alicia Palmer first meets Viscount Amesbury at a ball, where she was modest and delightfully genuine.

"A playful smile hovered over the corners of his mouth. 'You are a fortune hunter?'...
'I am'." (pg 23/408)

Alicia knows she is no match in fortune, beauty, and
Kimber
A girl in my neighborhood recommended this book since I liked Edenbrooke. So I got on the waiting list at the library for it. I have to say, when I picked it up at the library and saw the cover, I was a little embarrassed. Yes, it is a regency romance novel. It's "clean," but I still can't decide how much I liked it. There were some things that really bothered me about it, and I don't even think I liked the two main characters that much, and there was a little too much drama.

Here's the summary
Kathy
No matter how many times I read this, I always enjoy it. It’s become a favorite of mine, I love the characters and it’s a fun start to a great series. I love the Amesbury brothers. Truly, it's one of my very favorite series.

Alicia has lost her parents and due to her uncle’s poor financial choices finds herself being sold off to the highest bidder. In order to protect her sister and save her family name, she has to marry and marry well. I really liked Alicia, she was easy to relate to. She is ki
Anna Dye
Do you long to dance with Mr. Darcy or flirt with Mr. Ferrar? Do you fantasize of regency bad boys like rakes, highwaymen, and pirates? Do you swoon at the sight of a man on horseback or engaging in a duel?
Then this book is for you. A sweet, yet sensual regency romance.
You will find love, devotion, shallowness and all the haunting beauties of that time, in the pages of this book. Donna does an excellent job portraying this romantic era with all its bows and bustles.
Alicia’s family has died in
Rachel
I am amazed at how the act of reading helps me as a writer. When I read well written books, I want to be a better writer and I try to incorporate new writing techniques. I think it was Nicholas Sparks who said the best way to be a better writer is to read, read, read!
I’ve heard of Donna Hatch’s book, The Stranger She Married, for at least a year now and am just barely getting around to reading it. I am so sorry it has taken me so long! I really missed out on a great story for a very long time! D
Chrissy
There were times I would have rated this five stars. And then there were times when I would have rated it two stars. So I settled for three starts :). The writing was great. I enjoyed the mystery aspect. The romance part bugged me. I knew the "secret" because of some spoilers on goodreads, but even then, it was uncomfortable for me at times. I am glad the heroine's conscience kicked in but I wish it had sooner. But I do love other stuff by this author so I am going to read the second book in thi ...more
Kristen
This is my first full length Donna Hatch book, and I must say I really enjoyed it. I kept second guessing myself the entire time...(are they or aren't they???) Great romance, great suspense, great writing, great characters. Can't wait to read more in this series.

Moral Note: The only reason this is a 4 instead of 5 stars, there is a lot of talk of past mistresses, being a rake, etc. Nothing detailed, but too much of it for my taste. Pretty clean language, just 2/3 son of a motherless goats at th
Callie
I really enjoyed this book! It was a quick entertaining read that had everything between fighting, word play, romance, deception. I couldn't put it down once I started, I had to find out if I was right in the end. It was so good I just got #2 to the series to read.
Deborah
LOVED this book! I read it a while ago and I guess I forgot to review it. I thought the characters were great and I think this author is amazing. I can't wait for the other brothers stories. Kath, which brother do you think is the hottest?? ;-)
Donna Hatch
Aug 26, 2013 Donna Hatch rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book is the re-edited, re-released version of the original The Stranger She Married published in 2008. This version also has a new cover, but the story is, essentially, the same as the original version, just improved.
I began reading this novel the evening of the day I received it. Big mistake. I ended up reading well into the wee hours of the night. I simply couldn’t put it down. Needless to say, it took me less than two days to finish it.

Alicia Palmer has suffered the tragic loss of her parents and twin brother, leaving her and her younger sister in the care of their uncle, who unfortunately, brings the family to financial and social ruin. Their only hope of avoiding debtor’s prison is for Alicia to marry w
Darla
Aug 02, 2013 Darla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Darla by: Kristen/Kendra
(Genre:Fiction/romance-regency) 3.5 stars. I don't have time for a really indepth review of this one. Just contact me if you want details (i.e content, etc.).
Brief summary: 20 year old Alicia is in a difficult situation. With her parents and twin brother dead, she and her younger sister are wards of an uncle that has run the family estate/finances into the ground. The only hope for them all to avoid debtor's prison is for Alicia to marry well--someone that will agree to pay the family's debts. T
Kathryn
Lori
This book had me hooked from the beginning. I found myself picking this book up anytime I could just to see what would happen next. Although there are parts that are a little unbelievable, I found it very intriguing and unique. Plus, any plot that makes me second guess my thinking and leaves me thinking about it long after the last page deserves five stars.
Shellie
Much like the highwayman in terms of disguised men. She marries a man named Nicholas, has dalliances with a man named Cole--whom she adamently turned down--only to discover that Cole is actually Nicholas in the end. I had to re-read a few parts to see just how the two characters pulled it off when they seemed to be closely linked in proximity. Good story, although I didn't really care for how she actually kissed Cole after she was married to Nicholas. Unfaithful....and I don't like that. Otherwi ...more
Katie Watkins
Alicia is a girl who has suffered many loses recently--the death of her twin brother, the deaths of her parents, and the loss of the family money. Her uncle basically forces her to marry by the end of the month to save the remaining family members from the debtors prison. A rogue steps in and offers marriage and she refuses, since he's the man who killed her twin brother, so he arranges for her to marry his cousin. A touch of mystery, full of romance, and set in 1818 England. Loved it!
Sydney Jackson
The Stranger She Married is definitely not what I expected. My cousin and I both read this and neither of guessed the ending, and we both had completely different views on the book. Donna Hatch is magical. There is so much emotion that will be brought out of you if you read this book. When I thought I had the answer, or knew what was going to happen, bam! Plot Twist. If you are a fan of books that keep you on edge, clean, and historical romance fiction, then this book is definitely for you.
Jessica
I really liked this one. I was in love with Cole's character from the beginning. The story kept me guessing even though I had skipped ahead to try and figure it out. I liked that Alicia stuck to her morals. The one flaw was a common one where the author takes pains to inform the reader that the female character is not pretty but then every male character wants to ravish said unpretty heroine.
Becca
This was written really well, but I did not like the whole premise of this story. Kissing/falling in love with a man who is not your husband is cheating, even if the two men end up being the same person in the end. This story really disappointed me as it was written so well, I just couldn't get past her betraying her husband, even though she was cheating with her husband.
Donna Hatch
Apr 05, 2010 Donna Hatch rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Torn between a disfigured war hero with the heart of a poet, and a handsome libertine who may not be all he seems, impoverished Alicia must marry by the end of the month. Despite a murder threat looming over her, learning to love the stranger she married may pose the greatest danger of all … to her heart.
Pauline Hansen
I highly recommend this book. Donna's books are so delightful, and this one did not disappoint. The plot is woven expertly, with smart clues that are so well hidden, it keeps you guessing til the end. She keeps the subplots perfectly in order, while moving along the story line at just the right pace.
  • The Highwayman of Tanglewood
  • The Kiss of a Stranger
  • Loyalty's Web
  • The Commander's Desire
  • The Legend of Shannonderry
2072970
Donna Hatch's Rogue Heart series is the winner of the prestigious Golden Quill award. Donna is published in sweet Regency romance and fantasy. Her professional memberships include Romance Writers of America (RWA)and American Night Writers Association (ANWA). A sought-after workshop presenter and public speaker, Donna lives with her husband, six children, and two cats in Gilbert, Arizona.
More about Donna Hatch...

Rogue Hearts (6 books)
  • The Guise of a Gentleman
  • A Perfect Secret  (Rogue Hearts, #3)
  • Untitled (Rogue Hearts, #4)
  • Untitled (Rogue Hearts, #5)
  • Untitled (Rogue Hearts, #6)
Queen in Exile The Guise of a Gentleman The Reluctant Bride A Perfect Secret  (Rogue Hearts, #3) Constant Hearts, Inspired by Jane Austen's Persuasion