The sisters Rosensweig: a play

The sisters Rosensweig: a play

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Three Jewish middle-aged sisters, originally from Brooklyn, come together in Queen Anne's Gate, London, to celebrate the fifty-fourth birthday of Sara, the eldest, now a brilliant British banker. Divorced, a single mother, Sara no longer sees the necessity for romance. Gorgeous, suburban housewife and mother, is also a talk-show personality. And Pfeni, journalist and trave...more
62 pages
Published 1996 by Samuel French (first published 1993)

Felicia
Wonderful. Funny, intelligent,witty.
Litbitch
I'm just not a Wasserstein fan. Meh. Not terrible, not great, not people I really care about. Overprivileged, terribly clever East coast intellectuals ... whatever. Read this, my 4th Wasserstein, because an Equity theatre in town is doing it and as there aren't that many Jewish actresses in this city ....
Director hated me. Maybe she sensed my disdain.
Darinka
I really liked this play! I fell in love with all three sisters (confession: I would totally read a spin off of Pfeni in a heartbeat). Absolutely wonderful humour and lovable characters. It was just a great and yet simple story about relatable contemporary women of different ages ánd it has great theatre and music references.
Jess
Funny, interesting, and I don't think it is supposed to leave you feeling hopeless about the state of contemporary women... but somehow her writing always seems to do that to me lately! Still, this one does have more hope, and it's interesting to think about how she was drawing on her own life.
Wasserstein's wit impresses in this heartfelt story of a generation of sisters, all struggling to find their place in mid-life. With a cast of comfortable characters saying funny things to avoid getting hurt, the camraderie between the sisters is what really makes the play sing.
Lizzie
Someone, at some point in college, convinced me that I was not a cool theater student if I was into Wendy Wasserstein. Then I got rid of all her books that I owned. Which was every single one.

This is an example of a story in which both people are wrong.
Wayne
Yes, there were laughs...but I thought I'd puke if I heard these women extol their virtues (brain power, of course!) with unending superlatives one more time. Comes off as a dated feminist cheerleader's manual.
Molly
You do not need to be Jewish to appreciate this play. If you have sisters, you will appreciate the sisters' relationship in this play. Another very enjoyable Wasserstein play-
Vanessa
Wendy Wasserstein knows what's up. Highly recommended for any smart, ambitious lady anywhere. Great parts for women, especially the mouthy Jewish kind of woman.
Amy
Another fave by play by Wendy Wasserstein. The first one that I ever saw staged. And now that I have daughters of my own, even more meaningful.
Bradley
I'm surprised that the issues that Wendy Wasserstein presents are still valid now. The theme of love and identity still resonates.
Hadley
This is a play about three sisters who stay connected despite their very distant lives and thoughts. I like it.
This is a play, read in front of an audience. Funny and insightful. May have to read it again soon.
Judy
Reading a play is not as satisfying as either seeing the play or reading a novel.
Jill
Jun 01, 2007 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drama enthusiasts
I am really into reading plays and Wasserstein is a master!
Brielle
pretty good story. enjoyable characters.
Ed Patterson
What a perspective.
Ravinder Kaur
Ravinder Kaur marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Picks - The Sisters Rosenweig 1 6 Dec 04, 2013 06:16PM
  • Machinal
  • Talk Radio
  • Picnic
  • Dinner With Friends
  • Rock 'n' Roll
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • The Matchmaker
  • "Master Harold"...and the boys
Wendy Wasserstein was an award-winning American playwright and an Andrew Dickson White Professor-at-Large at Cornell University. She was the recipient of the Tony Award for Best Play and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
More about Wendy Wasserstein...
The Heidi Chronicles and Other Plays Elements of Style The Heidi Chronicles Shiksa Goddess Uncommon Women and Others