Start by marking “The Sisters Rosensweig” as Want to Read:
The Sisters Rosensweig

The Sisters Rosensweig

The sisters Rosensweig are three extraordinary Brooklyn-born Jewish women. Sara lives an ostensibly happy, man-free life in London with her intelligent daughter, Tess. Pfeni is an eccentric travel writer who pursues an unsatisfactory relationship with Geoffrey, a bisexual theatre director. And Gorgeous has the perfect husband and family in Massachusetts, where she pursues ...more
76 pages
Published January 31st 2015 by Samuel French (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters Rosensweig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisters Rosensweig

Sep 02, 2015 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, american, women
The ups and downs of Jewish American Princess sisters as they reach their forties...
Sep 13, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this? man, how does one write about plays. i mean, er, i've succeeded in writing about my opinions of plays before, but this one has notably little/zero stage direction, which somehow makes it harder, and more difficult to ignore that this is a thing meant to be performed and not read. like, the direction and performance choices would be really crucial for this one—i could see it coming off as super obnoxious if performed badly. but like, judaism! women! wit! how could i not enjoy this ...more
Sep 18, 2016 Shazia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After really enjoying Wasserstein's The Heidi Chronicles, I was looking forward to The Sisters Rosenweig. Unfortunately, Sisters does not live up to its predecessor. While The Heidi Chronicles deftly capture pivotal moments in the characters' lives, with their conversations seeming incredibly real while quickly moving the story along. There was a lot of witty banter, but it fit the scenes and actors. The Sisters Rosenweig, on the other had, is full of witty banter that seems extremely unlikely. ...more
Mar 19, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a really likeable play. That sounds like quite a bland and banal statement to make about a play but I did feel that this was a very likeable piece with some great older (40s -50s rather than just 20s) female characters which under the right direction and with the right actors playing them could really come to life. I suppose the main theme of this play is identity or lack of it. Its not the worlds most original topic and I don't think its a play which will turn your world on its axis but ...more
Sep 21, 2012 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Wonderful. Funny, intelligent,witty.
Dec 21, 2015 Angelique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I really loved this play. I think it is the zenith of Wasserstein's writing. It's so funny, warm, quick, smart and such great, great characters. I hope to see it done one day!
Sandi Sonnenfeld
Wasserstein at her most mature best exploring the complexities of sisters and relationships. Great play!
Rose Anderson
Mar 10, 2016 Rose Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light-hearted and fun!
Jun 03, 2008 Litbitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm just not a Wasserstein fan. Meh. Not terrible, not great, not people I really care about. Overprivileged, terribly clever East coast intellectuals ... whatever. Read this, my 4th Wasserstein, because an Equity theatre in town is doing it and as there aren't that many Jewish actresses in this city ....
Director hated me. Maybe she sensed my disdain.
May 26, 2013 Darinka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this play! I fell in love with all three sisters (confession: I would totally read a spin off of Pfeni in a heartbeat). Absolutely wonderful humour and lovable characters. It was just a great and yet simple story about relatable contemporary women of different ages ánd it has great theatre and music references.
Jan 30, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, interesting, and I don't think it is supposed to leave you feeling hopeless about the state of contemporary women... but somehow her writing always seems to do that to me lately! Still, this one does have more hope, and it's interesting to think about how she was drawing on her own life.
Mar 31, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Wasserstein's wit impresses in this heartfelt story of a generation of sisters, all struggling to find their place in mid-life. With a cast of comfortable characters saying funny things to avoid getting hurt, the camraderie between the sisters is what really makes the play sing.
Someone, at some point in college, convinced me that I was not a cool theater student if I was into Wendy Wasserstein. Then I got rid of all her books that I owned. Which was every single one.

This is an example of a story in which both people are wrong.
#bpl Wendy Wasserstein wrote good plays, making the personal political and vice versa. This one struck a nerve because it's about Americans in Britain. I need to reread it and dig into the identity stuff more. #bedfordlibrary
Mar 12, 2010 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, there were laughs...but I thought I'd puke if I heard these women extol their virtues (brain power, of course!) with unending superlatives one more time. Comes off as a dated feminist cheerleader's manual.
Aug 02, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You do not need to be Jewish to appreciate this play. If you have sisters, you will appreciate the sisters' relationship in this play. Another very enjoyable Wasserstein play-
Mar 01, 2007 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Wasserstein knows what's up. Highly recommended for any smart, ambitious lady anywhere. Great parts for women, especially the mouthy Jewish kind of woman.
Jul 13, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fave by play by Wendy Wasserstein. The first one that I ever saw staged. And now that I have daughters of my own, even more meaningful.
Oct 26, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I'm surprised that the issues that Wendy Wasserstein presents are still valid now. The theme of love and identity still resonates.
Apr 23, 2008 Hadley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alreadyread
This is a play about three sisters who stay connected despite their very distant lives and thoughts. I like it.
Jul 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a play, read in front of an audience. Funny and insightful. May have to read it again soon.
May 20, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a play is not as satisfying as either seeing the play or reading a novel.
Jun 01, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drama enthusiasts
I am really into reading plays and Wasserstein is a master!
pretty good story. enjoyable characters.
Ed Patterson
What a perspective.
Frances marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Griffin Hendrickson
Griffin Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Danya marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Sara Levine
Sara Levine is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2016
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Picks - The Sisters Rosenweig 1 7 Dec 04, 2013 06:16PM
  • Machinal
  • Saved
  • Master Class
  • Stop Kiss
  • Torch Song Trilogy
  • Anna in the Tropics (TCG Edition)
  • The Invention of Love
  • The Baltimore Waltz
  • Intimate Apparel - Acting Edition
  • Collected Stories
Wendy Wasserstein was an award-winning American playwright and an Andrew Dickson White Professor-at-Large at Cornell University. She was the recipient of the Tony Award for Best Play and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
More about Wendy Wasserstein...