Start by marking “Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship” as Want to Read:
Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

In this book readers are lead on a powerful and inspiring journey through the inner dimensions of a range of Islamic acts, including prayer, almsgiving, fasting and pilgrimage.

Consisting of a selection of writings by a towering figure in Islamic history, Imam al-Ghazali, this book helps readers realise the benefits of the upliftment of their spiritual, social and moral qua
Published August 27th 2013 by The Islamic Foundation (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

Sarabi Eventide
Jun 05, 2015 Sarabi Eventide rated it really liked it
Because I was reading a translation of this novel, I feel I have to divide the review into two parts: ideas and translation.

Ideas
Ideologically, I very much enjoyed this book. Ghazali focuses first on each action's merit (using the Qur'an and hadith as evidence) then goes into what/how our inner selves should think/feel/gain from each actions. In most instances, however, he does not say how to achieve these inner states; the how is left to the reader. Still, just being conscious of the purpose of
Raja
Apr 18, 2012 Raja rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand the inner meaning of the five pillars of Islam. A must read for every muslim, its very short but to the point and it will leave an instinct impact on you.
samia
Apr 24, 2007 samia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
ghazali goes into details about the five pillars in islam and much much more. the book is very enlightening, esp the chapter on hajj. it compares every aspect of the hajj we perform in this world to our inevitable meeting with the Lord in the next. makes you think about things differently!
Rizal Khaefi
Nov 08, 2014 Rizal Khaefi rated it really liked it
Imam Ghazali, the Hujjat al-islam (Proof of Islam), explains spiritual, social, and moral benefits of Islamic five pillars, which are shahada, prayer, alms giving, fasting, and pilgrimage. Muslim reader can realize and view the five pillars not only as the mandatory and routine duty but also as tools to improve our life.

Christa
Dec 10, 2015 Christa rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed this book especially the chapters on ritual prayer, fasting and forgiveness. Only downside is I had to look up so many words but that may increase my vocabulary God willing. I'll definitely be looking out for the other books in the series inshallah
Ummu
Jun 26, 2007 Ummu rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: salikin
I was read this book in Indonesia vers. When the first time i know about sufism...after that..i love to read Al Ghazali books.

If u want to be 'salikin' u should read this and find the spiritual teacher ,who will be show u the way to know more inside ur self
Iqra
Aug 14, 2014 Iqra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A great work from Imam Ghazali highlighting both the esoteric and the exoteric principles of practices in Islamic worship. A must read for all students of knowledge.
Ayaz Khalid
Aug 12, 2014 Ayaz Khalid rated it it was amazing
Superb book.

Unpacking the obligatory rituals Muslims are required to do to unveil deeper meanings.
Umar
Jul 10, 2011 Umar rated it it was amazing
great stuff. didn't read zakat and hajj yet though. similar to his bidaya hidaya but more attention on the spirituality...less manual, but more evaluative.
Dalia
Apr 26, 2007 Dalia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone who wants a deeper look at Islamic worship (quick read)
This is a quick read that gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation for the five pillars. I revisit this book a lot when I need a spiritual boost! I highly recommend it! :)
Adubiaro Fatimah
Adubiaro Fatimah rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Sayibu Eskay
Sayibu Eskay rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Mustafa
Mustafa rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2007
Mariowallacesr1980
Mariowallacesr1980 rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Abdul Gafffar
Abdul Gafffar rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Roni Putra
Roni Putra rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Shabana Mir
Shabana Mir rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Icarus Prince
Icarus Prince rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Jlofsh
Jlofsh rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2015
izyannimh
izyannimh rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Nabiha
Nabiha rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Adi
Adi rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Bilal
Bilal rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Mufeeda
Mufeeda rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Shadab
Shadab rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Mustafa Ameer
Mustafa Ameer rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Beneath
Beneath rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2007
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Al-Maqasid: Nawawi's Manual of Islam
  • Instruction of the Student: The Method of Learning
  • The Kashf Al-Mahjub (the Revelation of the Veiled) an Early Persian Treatise on Sufism ('Ali B. 'Uthman Al-Jullabi Al-Hujwiri)
  • Understanding the Four Madhhabs
  • The Secret of Secrets
  • البردة
  • Vision of Islam
  • التنوير في إسقاط التدبير
أبو حامد محمد بن محمد بن محمد بن أحمد الغزالي الطوسي النيسابوري الفقيه الصوفي الشافعي الأشعري الملقب بحجة الإسلام وزين الدين (450 هـ - 505 هـ / 1058م - 1111م)، مجدد القرن الخامس الهجري، أحد أهم أعلام عصره وأحد أشهر علماء الدين السنة في التاريخ الإسلامي.

Al-Ghazali
Persian Muslim theologian, jurist, philosopher, and mystic.
Ghazali has sometimes been referred to by historians as the single most influ
More about أبو حامد الغزالي...

“According to Ibn ‘Abbās, may God be pleased with him and his father, the Prophet David, God bless him and give him peace, used to say in his intimate Prayers: ‘My God, who inhabits Your House? And from whom do you accept the Prayer?’ Then God told him by inspiration: ‘David, he who inhabits My House, and he whose Prayer I accept, is none but he who is humble before My Majesty, spends his days in remembrance of Me and keeps his passions in check for My sake, giving food to the hungry and shelter to the stranger and treating the afflicted with compassion. His light shines in the sky like the sun. If he invokes Me, I am at his service. If he asks of Me, I grant his request. In the midst of ignorance, I give him discernment; in heedlessness, remembrance, in darkness, light. He stands out among ordinary people as Paradise towers over earthly gardens, its rivers inexhaustible and its fruits not subject to decay.” 4 likes
“Worship in Islam is not only observance of the prescribed worship rites – Prayer, Almsgiving, Fasting, Pilgrimage – but living one’s entire life in obedience to God, doing His will and seeking His pleasure, exactly in the way He has laid down.” 2 likes