Start by marking “Wait for Me” as Want to Read:
Wait for Me

Wait for Me

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  856 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Caught in the threads of secrets and lies, struggling for love and discovering a voice of her own, Mina finds herself torn between living her mother's dreams and living a life that's true in this tale from a National Book Award finalist and Printz Award winner.
Published June 8th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Wait for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait for Me

Thomas
A lot of books possess characters who are authentic enough that you can understand what they experiencing. Wait for Me took it a step further and allowed me to empathize with the characters' emotions and greatly sympathize with their sorrow.

Mina's senior year is cut out for her - she resides as president of the Honor society, maintains straight A's, and is a member of many other clubs. No one knows that her entire life is a smoothly orchestrated lie, composed by the expectations placed by her mo
Ashley O
Wait For Me by An Na is a novel that revolves around the protagonist, Mina, who seems like the perfect daughter but it's really all one big lie. This book creates a great story on the hardships some families endure and what it's like to live in one big lie. Na uses characters and emotions to draw the readers in and really grab their attention. She does a great job at bringing you into the characters head and making you feel exactly how they feel. Na ties you into the story using the different ch ...more
Jan
I was disappointed by this one. An Na is a very talented writer, but this story was just kind of blah. The tension between Mina and her mother was well done, however. The best part of the novel is that depiction of family tension, otherwise it was a very ordinary story.
Rachel
Jan 13, 2008 Rachel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
I really disliked this book. Mina is basically a nightmare teenager who lies to everybody constantly and fakes everything. I know there are lots of books like this, but most have a remotely satisfying ending. This one does not.
Lorri
I really wanted to like this book. It had the promise of a relatable (but not necessarily likable) teenage protagonist with very real Asian-American issues and representation for people with hearing impairment, but it ended up being cliche and uninteresting. Mina and Ysrael's relationship developed too rapidly, Suna was portrayed to be weak and selfish with no character development at all, and Jonathon was a typical jerk who blackmails girls into getting into bed with him. The characters were on ...more
Hillary
hated it.

sloppy writing, i thought, even by YA standards.
Poopstalker2k14
Amber
Hangg
The book I’m writing today is Wait For Me written by Anna. It’s a fiction story. The main theme in Wait for Me is a lesson for someone, who lies his/her parents about study, and how to face the truths by a true love coming.
Wait For Me talks about a seventeen girl names Mina, who is Korean-American and perfect daughter to her parents, Uhmma and Apa. As Mina’s senior year in high School comes, she lies everyone on her study. Jonathon, who is Uhmma’s friend’s son studies with Mina and also likes h
Kourtney
This is a beautifully written, heart rending book about becoming yourself. It’s about how hard it is to break out of the confines of who you are expected to be.

The story is told through chapters alternating the POV between Mina, the older sister, and Suna, the younger sister.

Mina and Suna are the daughters of hard working Korean immigrants. Their mother expects great things from Mina. But because of Suna’s hearing impairment, she is always left in Mina’s shadow.

This is not a story of an overachi
Miyuki-isb
I chose the novel Wait for Me by An Na because I read the short review at the back and I saw many great comments there so I was very interested to read the story. I think this novel has a really good ideas and concepts for teenagers to read about. The main character Mina, she wants to impress her mother so she kept lying about her grade and tells her that she has really good grades and she is the president of the school. She lies on the outside but inside she knows who she really is and it makes ...more
Karissa
This book was an alright read. It follows the story of Mina, a Korean-American girl who has been lying to her mother for at least a year about everything. Her grades, the clubs she is in at school, going to Harvard, and even stealing money from the laundromat her parents run. After all, it is summer vacation and freaking hot outside and they aren't paying her or her sister for their help. Why not take a little on the side?

But when her father pulls her back out, her parents are forced to hire Ys
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears in my blog. Note that blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this novel worthy - just!

(mild spoilers)

This audio novel is read by Kim Mai Guest.

How could I not read (or rather listen) to a novel written by someone with a perfect anagram name?! An Na's name, I have to admit, attracted my attention; then I read the blurb and thought I'd give it a try. It
Ilene Lobo
Wait for Me by An Na, a family and romance fiction, explains the life of Mina Kang who becomes entangled with her web of lies, struggles with her love and finding a voice of her own. An Na writes about the hard life of Mina Kang and how she deals with the challenges of family and her love life. Throughout the book, the point of view changes between Mina and her hearing-impaired younger sister, Suna. The novel is about Mina, but Suna’s emotions and feelings explain the reasons of Mina’s actions.

W
Erin
Mina is the image of a perfect daughter - as far as her demanding mother knows, she gets good grades, is studying hard for the SATs, and is the president of the Honors Society at school.

Unfortunately, the truth is far different. Mina is an average student, skips out on her SAT classes at the library, and lied to her mother about being the leader of the group. Working as often as possible at her parents' dry cleaning business, Mina has taken it upon herself to alter receipts in order to give hers
Kelvin Reed
At least the story line for Wait for Me by An Na was compelling: Mina, a Korean high school female about to enter her senior year, faces intense pressure by her mother to get into Harvard. At the same time the conflicted seventeen-year-old becomes secretly involved with a Latino musician who works at her family-owned dry cleaners. Interesting plot; however, Mina, who lies, steals and uses people, was so unlikable I couldn't feel much compassion for her. Not recommended.
Carolyn
An Na's story is actually one of two sisters. In fact, the only relationship that ultimately mattered was theirs. I know that many will say is was Mina and Y'srael's story, especially if I am supposed to be looking at the title: Wait for me--but Sana is the one waiting for Sana to grow up. I won't say more, but really think about who is doing the most important waiting.
Maria
I have read Na's other book, A Step from Heaven,, and I really enjoyed it. This book was not as interesting. I was not as invested in the characters, and the plot was thin. Both books feature abusive parents, but in this novel, it is the mother who is verbally abusive while in the other, the father, Apa, was physically and verbally abusive to his entire family. I was frustrated with Mina, the protagonist, for much of the book, because I wanted her to speak up. Overall, this is not as effective a ...more
Christina
Oct 26, 2007 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers interested in the Korean American experience or in mother-daughter-sister relationships
Shelves: realistic
High school junior Mina is the daughter of Korean-American immigrants who own a dry-cleaning business. She's been pushed to get good grades all of her life, with the goal of getting into Harvard. But she's started lying about her grades, saying they're better than they are, while stealing money from the cash register to save up to move out on her own after graduation. She does not want to go to college, let alone Harvard, but she can't get up the courage to tell her strict mother. Meanwhile her ...more
Suzanne
Mostly I really liked this book. An Na's style is beautifully understated and her story is well-crafted. Although some elements are very familiar - the striving immigrant parents, the expectation that their first-generation daughter get into Harvard - An Na puts a new spin on things by making the main character, Mina, a liar and an underachiever. In spite of Mina's flaws, I found her character sympathetic, and was moved by her relationship with her hearing impaired sister, Suna.

There were a few
I really liked this story. It takes place in Southern California. It's about a Korean girl and a Hispanic boy who fall in love. It's about immigrants and their children and what life is like for them. It's a novel about disappointing your parents, defying expectations, and making mistakes. It isn't perfect, but there were times when I felt like I was there in the story. It was also interesting to read because many of my high school friends were immigrants (Chinese, Hispanic, German) and I rememb ...more
Robin Le duc
I had trouble getting I to this book in the beginning. The prologue was a confusing way to start. The chapters are either Mina or Suna's story, which is an interesting style point. I did like the story (once it got going)...but I didn't love it. Mina is a high schooler who gets in over her head with all the lies she has been telling and meets a boy that helps her right her ways. Just an OK story.
bjneary
Mina and Suna are two sisters who work long hard hours at their parents dry cleaners. Mina is the oldest sister who lives a lie, she steals money from her parents' business, lies to her mother about her place in school and where she will go to college. Suna is the youngest sister who has a hearing aid and talks to their car as if it was human. Mina and Suna are very close. Their mother is nasty keeping secrets of her own. She runs Mina's life, is nasty to Suna and her husband. Enter a new worker ...more
Teresa
This book is about Mina may look like a perfect girl but she is not. Mina is a straight A student and a Honor Society president in her school. She works in her family's dry cleaners and cares for her little sister, Suna. On the outside She does everything right but on the inside she knows the truth. She tells her parents that Harvard accepted her but it was a lie. She wants her parents to be proud of her. Only one person she cannot lie to is Vsrael. Vsrael is a migrant worker who wants to be a m ...more
April Helms
Jan 04, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults (11+) and adults
Mina seems to be the perfect girl. Straight-A student. President of the honor society. Potential Harvard student. The trouble is, Mina's perfect life is a lie, and the summer of her senior year, she has to work harder and harder to protect the illusion, not just to live up to her mother's high expectations, but to protect her younger sister Suna. Suna is battling her own private demons as she learns to make her voice heard. Then, along comes Ysreal, a migrant worker with dreams of his own -- and ...more
Alina
This is a slightly different take on a different immigrant Korean family from that of “A Step From Heaven”. There are two sisters in this story and ultimately this book is about the bond between them. An Na crashes through the stereotypes people have of Asian kids and give a side that many may not think about. Since this family lives in southern California, there is also the aspect of how people deal with immigrant workers from Mexico.

An Na shows two sides of a bittersweet story, from the older
Megan Kirkland31335
I think that this book is entertaining. It is a great book to read when you want a mystery sort of book. When your bored you'll love to read this book. When you reach the climax you'll be on the edge of your seat. This book shows an example of teens today. It relates to many teens. You won't want ot put the book down, every chapter is a better than the last.
Thoughtful tale of adolescence and what happens when you start making your own decisions.

Mina is a Korean-American high school junior who has successfully tricked her overbearing, strict mom into thinking she's doing well in school. Mina's secret is held by Jonothan, an old family friend whom Mina wants to avoid at all costs.

Mina's chapters alternate with her younger sister Suma, who is hearing-impaired and mostly ignored by her parents.

Tough love, immigrant experiences, choosing your own path a
louisa
Mar 02, 2015 louisa added it
Shelves: ya
Slender and dreamy, Wait for Me alternates between the viewpoints of Mina and Suna two Korean American sisters navigating their mother's exacting hopes and disappointments in a seaside town in California.
Kim
This started off strong, but faltered pretty early on. I never connected with Mina, and found the alternating third person and first person perspectives distracting. The last several chapters were overly melodramatic and the ending did not satisfy..
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • Drawing Lessons
  • Last Chance in Texas: The Redemption of Criminal Youth
  • Kimchi & Calamari
  • Nothing But the Truth (and a few white lies)
  • If I Could Fly
  • Mistik Lake
  • Almost Home
  • Holding Up the Earth
  • The Beast
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
An Na was born in Korea and grew up in San Diego, California. A former middle school English and history teacher, she is currently at work on her third novel. She lives in Vermont.

(from Web site)
More about An Na...
A Step from Heaven The Fold No Such Thing as the Real World: Stories About Growing Up and Getting a Life The Middle Place Untitled