Start by marking “The Templar's Penance (Knights Templar, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Templar's Penance (Knights Templar, #15)

The Templar's Penance (Knights Templar #15)

It is 1323, and Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock have been granted leave to go on pilgrimage, each seeking solace after the recent traumatic events in Gidleigh. Together, they travel across Europe to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, but danger is never far away. Foreign travel is perilous—outlaws and robbers threaten at all times, not to mention the risks of ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Headline (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Templar's Penance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Templar's Penance

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Best Historical Mystery
462nd out of 1,308 books — 3,432 voters
The Tainted Relic by The Medieval MurderersThe Last Templar by Michael JecksThe Merchant's Partner by Michael JecksA Moorland Hanging by Michael JecksThe Abbot's Gibbet by Michael Jecks
Knights Templar Books by Michael Jecks
17th out of 34 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Amalie
I'm wavering between giving this either a 3 star or a 4 star rating.

I'm new to the series and this is the 15th book of the series. Do I want to read more? Go back and start in order? Yes, I'd love to check few more books.

There is a lot of activity here, also a lot of brutal violence. However, the author does not linger over every terrible bloody detail. He is also a fine storyteller with a good knowledge of the medieval period.

Downside of this for me was, it was little too repetitive, both in d
Lynne Tull
Dec 01, 2016 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, medieval
I have just picked up this series again after many years. It is really hard to pick up the thread so I may have to go back and read the first one or two to refresh my memory. I started reading some other authors who write about the Medieval Period so I thought I would revisit Baldwin and Simon. They are both great characters and each played a major role in solving this mystery. There was a lot of repetition that seemed to be there to 'add to the page count'. I found myself skipping a lot towards ...more
Jerry
Jul 10, 2008 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
Jecks does it again. Had no clue to who was killing who until the very end. Every time I thought I knew who the real killer(s) was/were, they became another dead end (bad pun I know). His books are a good blend of Medieval history and twisting plots that keep folding back into each other. Give them a try. But it is best to start with the first book, The Last Templar, since everything feeds off the groundwork that is laid out in this story.
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 David Serxner rated it it was amazing
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Mirjam
Sep 24, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Templar's Penance is an engrossing medieval mystery with a fascinating view on pilgrimages. Michael Jecks wrote another fast-paced gem that leaves readers wanting to see more of the charming main characters, Sir Baldwin and Simon, and the Middle Ages.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
The usual from Michael Jecks intelligent plot lots of mediaeval background Baldwin brooding over his templar past. Enjoyable if you like that sort of thing which I do.
Nancy Moffett
Mar 04, 2013 Nancy Moffett rated it liked it
Light reading. Amusing and pretty good for what it is. I enjoyed it and probably will read another of the series.
Deborah Pickstone
I could not gel with this one - and Jecks' female characters are even more 'off' than usual. Even Simon and Baldwin seemed out of synch - perhaps it was moving them out of their usual milieu?
R.A.
Dec 12, 2014 R.A. rated it liked it
This is an interesting mystery set in an interesting time period. It reminded me of A Morbid Taste for Bones but on a larger international scale.
Jenny Pauley
Mar 15, 2011 Jenny Pauley rated it liked it
Another very enjoyable Jeck's book. Loved the scenery change and culture! Starting to wonder how it is that trouble seems to be around every corner for these two!
Nan
Jan 30, 2012 Nan rated it really liked it
Sir Balwin and Bailiff Simon Puttock head to southern Europe for a pilgrimage. Of course, it is not to be an easy or unadventurous journey.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Cece

Getting a bit tired of the "raped and murdered" victim appearing in every book.
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2009
Olga Cerpentier
Olga Cerpentier rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Earl Heather
Earl Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
John Payette
John Payette rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Rick Chagouri-brindle
Rick Chagouri-brindle rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2013
Betty A.
Betty A. rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Taryn
Taryn rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Donna Ritchie
Donna Ritchie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Marni
Marni rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
Jon Pennick
Jon Pennick rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Neila
Neila rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Loren
Loren rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
John Payette
John Payette rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2010
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • Alexandria (Marcus Didius Falco, #19)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)