Start by marking “The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)

The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar #12)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  270 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
As the summer of 1322 brings sun to the Devonshire countryside, it seems that the small village of Sticklepath is destined to remain in darkness. An afternoon of innocent adventure becomes one of gruesome terror when two playmates uncover the body of a young girl up on the moors. The body is that of ten-year-old Aline, who had gone missing six years earlier. When Sir Bald
Published June 1st 2002 by Headline Book Publishing (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sticklepath Strangler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sticklepath Strangler

Graham
Dec 28, 2008 Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
Although one of the later books in the series, this is the first of Jecks’s medieval murder mysteries that I’ve encountered, and I’m certainly taken with his style of writing in these books. Jecks write sparse, clean prose, often descriptive but with no particular flourish or manner in his writing; the facts are given in descriptive passages or dialogue, and that is all. There is no apparent art in his writing.

But nevertheless he tells a good, plot-heavy story; he succeeds in creating a diverse
Jen
Aug 30, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
I would probably like this more if I would read the series in some kind of coherent order and more than two a year or so. I did like it, though; there was plenty of tension in this 14th century village that has people gettin' dead all over the place. It felt a little like the parlour mysteries, actually, like Clue, where everyone keeps dying and you can't get out and one of you has to be the killer. Kind of a believable ending, which is nice, because these types of mysteries can get forced in a ...more
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 David Serxner rated it it was amazing
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Angela Isaac
Jan 30, 2015 Angela Isaac rated it it was amazing
A gripping read that had me guessing to the last who was the murderer and if there really was a vampire at large.
On reading the author's note at the beginning of the book, I wondered why he needed to make clear that his characters are works of fiction, and that the real-life inhabitants of Sticklepath are actually very nice. Then I read the book... the villagers; they are a real nasty lot. Nearly all inhabitants have some gruesome and dark secret to reveal; whether the horrendous acts they comm
Mary G.
Oct 14, 2010 Mary G. rated it really liked it
Another excellent outing by Michael Jecks.
LJ
First Sentence: They were out there.

It started with the death of young girls, and the accusation of cannibalism, the murder of an innocent man and his curse on the village. Now a young girl’s skull has been found and Sir Baldwin de Fernshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, Bailiff Simon Puttock and Coroner Roger de Gidleigh travel to the village of Sticklepath; a place of death and secrets. The death toll keeps rising.

Jecks is so good at not only establishing a sense of time and place, but creating
Steph
Jan 31, 2015 Steph rated it it was ok
I picked up this paperback mystery based on the cover, which looked somewhat like the Bayeux Tapestry. I learned my lesson about not judging a book by the cover, because the book itself wasn't great. It's a murder mystery set in a medieval village, and while the idea of that is interesting, the plot dragged on too long and the murders were pretty gruesomely described, which I think might have contributed to some of my nightmares after surgery. Not the best book to read in the hospital.
Nancy Ellis
Dec 26, 2014 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it
It's always a pleasure to read a book in this series. This episode has several rather gruesome murders involving cannibalism and even vampires! Lots of fun and full of delightful characters!
Susan
May 10, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Excellent suspense mystery, history brought to life
An unusual theme

Merged review:

Review already written for this book.
Excellent medieval who done it & you didn't know for sure until the last few pages
History brought to life
Sharon
Apr 11, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Another fun medieval Mystery by M. Jecks. So interesting to see how crude life was in the 1300's and how astute investigators had to be to discover the perpetrator of crime.
Michael Jecks
Jan 24, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This was a fun story from the moment that the local Blacksmith suggested the title to me, while we were sitting in the bar of the Devonshire Inn, Sticklepath.
International Cat Lady
This story had a lot of potential, but it turned out to not be particularly interesting - or well written. Yawn!
Lane
Mar 02, 2009 Lane rated it really liked it
This one dragged a bit for me. There were a few characters that i got tired of. But I still enjoyed it.
Nikhil Pansare
May 07, 2008 Nikhil Pansare rated it really liked it
Great mystery novel set in medieval England.
Wazz
Apr 27, 2009 Wazz rated it really liked it
book 12
Marc Britt
Marc Britt rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
M.R.
M.R. added it
May 01, 2016
Miki Ritchie
Miki Ritchie rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Sje
Sje rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Madalina
Madalina marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jennifer Haun
Jennifer Haun rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Femke
Femke marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
J Partridge
J Partridge rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Harsha
Harsha marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Marianne Luginbuhl
Marianne Luginbuhl rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Pk
Pk rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Jessica Hollands
Jessica Hollands marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)