Start by marking “The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)

The Leper's Return (Knights Templar #6)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  596 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
When a local goldsmith, Godfrey of Harwood, is found brutally murdered in his home, Furnshill and Puttock are called on to investigate. But when rumors begin spreading that patients from a local leper hospital might have been involved in Godfrey's murder, a series of vicious attacks on the unfortunate victims ensues, culminating in a disastrous fire at the hospital. In a s ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Headline Book Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Leper's Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leper's Return

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto EcoThe Last Templar by Michael JecksIvanhoe by Walter ScottDungeon, Fire and Sword by John J. RobinsonThe Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith
Knights Templar
28th out of 98 books — 40 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
439th out of 780 books — 910 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own
It was always rare for my old agent to speak kindly of my work. She believed firmly in the principle that authors were there to suffer, not to be flattered unnecessarily. However this one she always spoke of fondly, calling it my first love story.
I guess it was, but it's also an accurate depiction of the life of a leper in medieval England, comparing the richest folk and the poorest in a community. The life of a leper was so appalling, I still cannot give a talk about them without choking. Natur
Tasha Turner
Jul 08, 2012 Tasha Turner rated it it was amazing
Loved all of the books I've read in this series. It has been years and I've loaned the books out so this review is not up to my normal standards.

I love how accurate the details of the time period are. I can lose myself in the story because I'm not correcting the author.

The mystery had me on the edge of my seat. Normally I know "who done it" fairly early on in books but Michael keeps me guessing for more than 3/4s of the book. The characters are real and people you can relate to. There is humor
David Serxner
Mar 13, 2008 David Serxner rated it it was amazing
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
LJ
THE LEPER’S RETURN (Historical-England-1320) – VG
Jecks, Michael, 6th in series
Headline, 1998- UK Paperback – ISBN 0747259518
*** Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, has his hands full. The town’s leper hospital has a new master and a town suddenly turned violent against the hospital and its residents. Godfrey of London, the town’s most prominent citizen, has been murdered, his daughter and servant attacked. Everyone is quick to place the blame on the local conman and womanizer, Joh
Lucy Barnhouse
This was a pleasant mystery, with fine characterizations. The plot was, perhaps, a bit labored, but the novel is still enjoyable. I appreciated that Jecks makes his characters well-rounded and complex, with lively interior lives, and that he has a cast drawn from all levels of society, not just the elites. (Neither of these things is to be taken for granted in historical fiction set in the Middle Ages, in my experience!) I found the assumption that strict isolation of lepers and loathing towards ...more
Carol
Feb 04, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I have just finished re reading this book and once again it hits the mark, the twists and turns of the plot had me guessing right to the end even though I have read it before some years ago.
I was really caught up in the happenings and found myself googling leprosy to find out more about this awful diesease.
A fantastic read which I thoroughly recommend to everyone. Read it.
Lane
Mar 02, 2009 Lane rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in the series.
Linda
Feb 08, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
The book is a murder mystery set in medieval England. I expected the author would take me to the Holy Land given that date and the title of the book. We never left the English town where the tale began. Why leave when so much was going on where we were? Leprosy and a leper hospital were the basic subjects of the book, but there were murders, infidelities, love stories, riots, dog bites. In short, the author took me here, there and everywhere and I lived to give him four stars for his efforts. Re ...more
Simon Mcleish
May 30, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog here in December 1999.

The treatment of lepers in the medieval period is something distasteful to a modern viewpoint, an example of extreme inhumanity driven by fear. It is a part of our history which makes the homophobia sparked by AIDS pale into insignificance (though parallels can be drawn); and it went on for hundreds of years. Such a terrible disease, not just incurable (at the time), but bringing horrific deformity, must have been (they thought) a punishment
Ed
Jul 30, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Medieval mystery fans
I read this book a few years ago so this review will be, of necessity, brief.

The idea of scapegoating a group of harmless lepers resonates today with groups of politically motivated losers trying to pin the sins of a few on the many. It also resonates through history as groups of people hungry for power blame a minority for their society's ill. The most egregious in recent history being the Holocaust.

In this case the murder of a leading citizen, goldsmith, Godfrey of Harwood, is blamed on the
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Apr 02, 2015 Steven Vaughan-Nichols rated it really liked it
One should never start a series at volume 6, but sometimes that's the book that you find. The result was it took me a while before I got into the swing of the story. Once I did, though I fully enjoyed this medieval mystery. The characters were interesting, the mystery was solid, and I quite liked this tale. I'll be reading the rest of this series--starting from volume 1 this time!
Jen
Mar 28, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it

The Leper's Return is set in 1320, and Jecks' has created more depth for his characters and a much tighter plot (and subplots)than occurs in The Crediton Killings.

There are more interesting characters included and all of them are well-drawn. As the number of characters expanded so did the subplots: the murder of a goldsmith, a merchant cuckolded by his wife, a leper colony, a potential marriage, an interfering and obnoxious maid, a huge mastiff, an eccentric Irishman--all woven into the doings
Mirjam
Sep 12, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Leper's Return gives a shocking view of what a leper's life was like in the Middle Ages. Against this backdrop the Keeper and Bailiff set out to solve a murder. With all witnesses being incredibly tightlipped the murder isn't easy to solve, but of course Baldwin and Simon's teamwork pays off as usual. During their investigation Baldwin is slightly distracted by the lovely visitor he is courting and her odious maid, who is determined her mistress will not accept the knight's offer of marriage ...more
Gayle Noble
"Ralph of Houndeslow is the new Master of St Lawrence's, the leper hospital at Crediton. He has the daunting task of seeing to the souls of the inmates. Godfrey of London is murdered, his daughter Cecily assaulted, and the crimes are laid at the door of John of Irelaunde, a known womaniser and conman. Meanwhile feelings against Lepers are growing. A few hotheads are prepared to consider killing all of them. Baldwin and Simon must try to prevent a wholesale slaughter."

Sounds great doesn't it? The
Elly Haaft
Jan 15, 2015 Elly Haaft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Linda Humberstone
Nov 03, 2014 Linda Humberstone rated it liked it
Shelves: just-read
Enjoyable read. Intelligent well thought up story, nicely written with interesting stories surrounding all the characters.
Bill Meehan
May 24, 2015 Bill Meehan rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-fiction
My favorite book in the series so far! A lot of time spent on the personal life of Sir Baldwin, getting to know him better, along with a fun supporting cast of characters from John de Irelaunde to Emma the maid and her nemesis Uthar the dog.
I haven't found the first book in the series as yet, but 2-6 have been very enjoyable and I will soon be on to the next, highly recommend.
Kathy
Jan 16, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading Moloka'i last year, I was saddened by the treatment of lepers in the early 19th century. With this book, I was reminded of that feeling because we didn't seem to have made many changes since the 14th century--ignorant intolerance for the outcast, but with the Catholic church's stamp of approval, and yet they provided the only care and hospice situations. Still, the basic mystery was engaging for all 379 pages.
Kate
Sep 11, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. Sometimes the style of speaking was a bit too modern, but then, it would probably be quite difficult to read English as it was spoken then. I enjoy historical fiction and particularly like stories set in the middle ages or earlier. There were no tests,fingerprints, phones, cars, and such. Justice had to be served through the use of observation and intelligence.
Human relations are what they are no matter the period.
Ann
Jan 08, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Sir Baldwin Furnshill, the Keeper of the King's Peace, and his friend Bailiff Simon Puttock are called when the body of Godfrey of London is found murdered. His daughter and a servant are unconscious beside him. It is 1320 in the small town of Crediton. The two look for the answer to the problem in the town and the local leper colony. This was an excellent book and one that I could not put down.
Helle
Jan 04, 2016 Helle rated it really liked it
The Leper’s Return is another very good episode in Jecks’ Knights Templar series. As always, it is well researched and appears accurate. I enjoyed the character developments of Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Simon Puttock. It also provides a nice view of small town prejudices, where the accusing finger is pointed to the outsiders and outcasts. Unfortunately some things never change…
Jim Corbiere
Jan 09, 2014 Jim Corbiere rated it really liked it
Another great mystery by Michael Jecks. Great and likable characters with interesting back stories. The mysteries are all new in each book but yet the lives of the characters progresses which is a great detail. Mr. Jecks does a great job with the minute details and because of them it keeps you guessing as to who the killer could be. Great job! Can't wait to read the next one.
Bonnie
Sep 07, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several years ago I read the previous books in this series, but had sort of forgotten about it. When I found it was available for download from the library, I checked it out. I really enjoyed it. The mystery was puzzling and interesting and the characters likeable (with interesting exceptions). I thought it one of the best in this series so far.
Jacqui Ainsworth
Sep 21, 2008 Jacqui Ainsworth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history and mystery buffs
Shelves: mystery
I finally finished it! I enjoyed it when I read it but it didn't give me any desperation to pick it up and I could put it down easily. It was well-researched and it does make you think as well as being a good read. I plan on searching out the first 5.

The romance aspect is amusing but obviously a tertiary plot point.
Pam
Apr 23, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it
It was a good mystery set in the early 1300's. One complaint is that it's marked as a Knights Templar mystery, and it's not really. The main character was a Templar, but the book is set after the Templars were disbanded. The story is a bit complicated but it does get all tied up at the end. They are fun mysteries.
Dawn
I enjoy these mysteries. They are light, fun and easy to read. I have not been a fan of Baldwins romance, finding it difficult to envision how it could play out like this.
I do like the leper's as the focal point of the story but the fortuitous ending was a little much.
Nancy Ellis
Feb 15, 2014 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable adventure in medieval England! There was a lot of information in this story about the life and treatment of lepers in this time which I found fascinating. And Sir Baldwin has met his lady love which adds a nice romantic touch to the series.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #6 - The Leper's Return.
Richard
Starting out slow as most of his books do. But well researched so you feel like your really there.
Puzzle Doctor
Mar 02, 2014 Puzzle Doctor rated it it was amazing
An excellent medieval mystery - one of the best I've read - and I've read a lot!
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The House of Crows (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #6)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)