A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar, #3)

A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A knight in 14th century Devon, Sir William Beauscyr is used to having total control of his estates and servants. When one of his serfs goes to join a band of tin miners, he is furious. And when the serf is found dead, Sir William is a chief suspect.
Published February 1st 1998 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published 1996)

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in August 1998.

A Moorland Hanging is the third of Jecks' Devonshire novels featuring Simon Puttock and Sir Baldwin Furnshil. Like P.C. Doherty, Simon Jecks is an author who really knows something about the medieval period. He is perhaps more interested in institutions than Doherty, and this combines with the country setting to naturally remove some of the unpleasantness of the medieval world (to a modern reader) which comes to the fore in Doherty's series of...more
Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
While hunting around for themes for a new story, I hit upon the idea of making use of the Stannaries.
In the medieval period, the King owned all tin-mining on Dartmoor. He made a fortune from the mines, and gave miners extensive rights and benefits. They could dig anywhere where they thought there could be tin under the surface. If their extensive workings required plentiful supplies of water to wash away the soil, they could divert any water courses they wanted. And at a time when peasants were...more
Megan Graham
I really enjoy Michael Jecks writing and this is another good book in the series.
Cynthiaj
I thought this one dragged a bit. I kept feeling like I was just trying to get through it so I could get on to some of the books that came home with me from the library the other day. Nice wrap up to "mystery" although I definitely did not develop empathy with the original victim.
Cece
This series is holding up well so far-although the occasional "modern" turn of phrase from a character of the era-14th century England-does niggle. But I like the plotting and the characters as they develop so far, so I will forgive the out-of-place "okay" and such.
Nancy Ellis
This was interesting in the information it had of the conflict between the tin miners and the manors, but the plot itself was too monotonous and dragged out in my opinion. That won't keep me from reading the other books in the series, though!
Dawn
While the mystery was only so-so and the characters a bit boring, the history of the legal system and the rights of the tin miners was fascinating.
Peter Nye
Very interesting background to life on Dartmoor in the early 14th century combined with a twisting, complex murder mystery. I enjoyed this very much.
Susan
Great mediaeval who done it with history coming to life.
Kept you guessing to the end as to who was the culprit.
An excellent read.
Kathy
This is the third in The Knights Templar Mystery series. I love the period, and I enjoy this author's research and authenticity.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 19, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as sounds-interesting
Shelves: adventure, mystery
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #3 - A Moorland Hanging.
Karen Henry
Enjoyable read. Medieval readings are so interesting.
Ari Pettit
Ari Pettit marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
mixal
mixal added it
Jul 04, 2014
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett, #15)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou...more
More about Michael Jecks...
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5) The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)