Start by marking “A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar, #3)

A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In fourteenth-century Devon, runaway villeins were brutally punished if apprehended by their masters. But when Peter Bruther flees the home of Sir William Beauscyr, he puts himself in the protection of the king by setting up as a tin miner on the moors. And the bailiff of Lydford, Simon Puttock, has to inform an irate Sir William that he has no legal claim on his wayward s ...more
Published October 3rd 1996 by Headline (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Moorland Hanging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Moorland Hanging

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
While hunting around for themes for a new story, I hit upon the idea of making use of the Stannaries.
In the medieval period, the King owned all tin-mining on Dartmoor. He made a fortune from the mines, and gave miners extensive rights and benefits. They could dig anywhere where they thought there could be tin under the surface. If their extensive workings required plentiful supplies of water to wash away the soil, they could divert any water courses they wanted. And at a time when peasants were
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in August 1998.

A Moorland Hanging is the third of Jecks' Devonshire novels featuring Simon Puttock and Sir Baldwin Furnshil. Like P.C. Doherty, Simon Jecks is an author who really knows something about the medieval period. He is perhaps more interested in institutions than Doherty, and this combines with the country setting to naturally remove some of the unpleasantness of the medieval world (to a modern reader) which comes to the fore in Doherty's series of
Jan 21, 2015 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction and murder mystery fans.
I stumbled on to this series and this, the third in the series, is the second one I've read. Jecks does a great job of setting the scene. He's obviously done his research. As a result it's easy to connect with the characters and their assumptions, concerns, and devotion to duty. The major protagonists in the series, Bailiff Simon Puttock and Templar Knight Sir Baldwin Furnshil seem to exemplify what was good about medieval society.

The background of this story is the tension between landowners a
Deborah Pickstone
MJ continues with his winning formula. I am continuing with this very easy-reading series. It is very enjoyable to watch a writer's development, as is possible over such a long series. By this third book the wrinkles are starting to be ironed out and the plots are gaining complexity and credibility. I suspect MJ will be entered into my fave writer's list in a few more excerpts!
I thought this one dragged a bit. I kept feeling like I was just trying to get through it so I could get on to some of the books that came home with me from the library the other day. Nice wrap up to "mystery" although I definitely did not develop empathy with the original victim.
This series is holding up well so far-although the occasional "modern" turn of phrase from a character of the era-14th century England-does niggle. But I like the plotting and the characters as they develop so far, so I will forgive the out-of-place "okay" and such.
Nancy Ellis
This was interesting in the information it had of the conflict between the tin miners and the manors, but the plot itself was too monotonous and dragged out in my opinion. That won't keep me from reading the other books in the series, though!
While the mystery was only so-so and the characters a bit boring, the history of the legal system and the rights of the tin miners was fascinating.
Peter Nye
Very interesting background to life on Dartmoor in the early 14th century combined with a twisting, complex murder mystery. I enjoyed this very much.
Great mediaeval who done it with history coming to life.
Kept you guessing to the end as to who was the culprit.
An excellent read.
This is the third in The Knights Templar Mystery series. I love the period, and I enjoy this author's research and authenticity.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 19, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as sounds-interesting
Shelves: adventure, mystery
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #3 - A Moorland Hanging.
Megan Graham
I really enjoy Michael Jecks writing and this is another good book in the series.
Karen Henry
Enjoyable read. Medieval readings are so interesting.
Pat marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Janice added it
Oct 04, 2015
Travis Peck
Travis Peck marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Greganddenise Bishop
Greganddenise Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Calista is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2015
Sandy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5) The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)