Cast  a Bright Shadow (Lionwolf Trilogy, #1)

Cast a Bright Shadow (Lionwolf Trilogy #1)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The setting is a world of eternal winter, where once thrived hot climates and exotic luxury. Saphay, daughter of a subking in the more civilised west, is sent off to marry a leader of the barbaric Jafn, not realising that her own father has arranged for her to be betrayed and abducted on her icy journey.

But, escaping her pursuers on the back of a giant whale, Saphay is dis...more
Published May 2005 by Tor Books (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cast a Bright Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast a Bright Shadow

Ана Хелс
Добре дошли отново в приказния свят на Танит Ли, където законите на природата са всичко друго, освен познати, но звучат логично, твърде логично, интимно близки и единствено верни, звънтящи с правота, каквато не чуваме в дневния си живот. Красивият език се разстила пред подготвения за магия читател, и го отнася в свят на мъртво слънце и много диви луни, на един бог създател и хиляди богове на хората , на една заспала цивилизация и народи, живеещи за бой, лов и убийства. Една нищонезначеща принце...more
Shane
So this was strange. I really liked it at first. The ice barbarians thing was great. I hadn't seen that done much and only Tanith Lee would take it to the next step and talk about Ice Jungles. I'm still trying to figure out how that would work because she never really described them. Guri was my favorite character but most of the other characters I didn't care about at all.

Still it kept me interested enough to read for 500 pages. So it's definitely not the Flat Earth series (one of my all time f...more
Rosz
The world Lionwolf is born into is a harsh world of winter where there are many gods. The gods of his royal mother are three - all with dual natures - and when one decides to interfere in her life, they all do.

Lionwolf himself, produced from the union of his mother and the most terrifying of her gods, has unwittingly taken some of his father’s god-substance at birth, making his father his implacable enemy. He grows up as a god-child, invulnerable and unsympathetic to human frailties, including...more
Antony
The first book of Tanith Lee's that didn't grab me. The beginning hooked me with the description of a world encased in ice and its dramatic action scene, but soon the story meandered into confusion and, with a few exceptions (like the introduction of Chillel, which evoked memories of the Flat Earth series), the writing was not at the level I am used to from Lee.

Even in other books where the plot loses steam, I am so enthralled by her writing that I don't mind just going with the narrative. This...more
Thomas Ireland
The made up language gets a little tedious after a while. Not sure I will read the other two books any time soon.
type95
It can be definitely be said that Tanith Lee is a unique writer. The characters, landscapes and the actual story itself had this weird feel to it as if you're watching a movie with a slight dark/grey tint/contrast over the top. I really liked the idea it presented though. This boy god trying to fulfill his destiny etc. etc. I enjoyed the adventure that it brought and the different style of writing.
Marjanne Overpelt
niet goed genoeg om snel uit te lezen. maar te goed om weg te leggen.
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Shalonne Plummer
Shalonne Plummer marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Siavahda
Siavahda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jul 17, 2014
Sarah Mcilraith
Sarah Mcilraith marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Seikaiha
Seikaiha marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Taya
Taya added it
Apr 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Jeff Forker
Jeff Forker marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tanith Lee is a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She is the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She has also written four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a...more
More about Tanith Lee...
Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1) Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2) Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3) Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1) White as Snow