The Wizard

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  65 reviews

Published June 26th 2007 by Greenwillow Books

Betsy
Sep 04, 2007 Betsy added it
It seems like such an obvious notion that I'm more than a little shocked that other publishers haven't dived into the idea first. Step One: Locate a book of children's poetry. Say, Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep, by Jack Prelutsky (circa 1976). Step Two: Say to the author of the poetry (if that person still happens to be alive, of course), "Gee whiz. Wouldn't it be great if we made that old poem of yours, `The Wizard', into its own picture book?" Acquire permission to do so. Step Three:...more
Tim
This book is included for future reference, and not for the purposes of being graded for the text set assignment.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 2 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. The writing is poetry with great descriptive words. And the illustrations are beautiful and detailed. A lot of fun for us. A great addition to any children's library.
Catherine
I love Jack Prelutsky, AKA The Children's Poet Laureate. Most of his books that I've read have been themed poetry collections. This is just one narrative poem, and not a very lengthy one at that.

The wizard of the title resembles the Dumbledore/Gandalf model, but he's not very nice or very ambitious. Instead, he spends his day turning a bullfrog into one thing after another. Perhaps he's locked inside that tower (we're never told) that looks over a normal-looking suburban neighborhood. At the en...more
Judy
The text, by Jack Prelutsky, is spare but would be a great read-aloud. The true magic of this book is in the illustrations. The double-page edge-to-edge graphics have rich colors. My only slight quibble here is with the wizard's treatment of the poor unsuspecting bullfrog. After he turns the frog into different objects and returns him to frog form, he makes the frog vanish "midway through a frightened croak." Children might feel sad about the frog's fate and need to be reassured that, although t...more
Adrienne Furness
Dorman's lush illustrations bring the poem to life. Fun to read, lovely to look at.
babyhippoface
America's first Children's Poet Laureate Jack Prelutsky may have created the wizard, but it's Brandon Dorman's outstanding computer-generated illustrations that will get kids interested in this book. The wizard and his tower are pictured in fascinating detail, from the fireflies in a jar to the snakes in a portrait of Medusa slithering out of the painting. While Dorman's wizard might put older readers in mind of Merlin the magician, younger readers and Harry Potter fans of all ages will see the...more
Nanci
Booklist says: "In a spooky tower on a cozy suburban cul-de-sac lives a wizard pondering evil deeds. He uses "elemental sorcery" to turn a bullfrog into a flea, which becomes a pair of mice, which emerge as a cockatoo, and so on, until the wizard brings back the frog and banishes it. Contemplating his next trick, the magician peers from his tower window to the street below, where children play: "He may pluck someone off the spot / and turn them into . . . who knows what?" Prelutsky's rhyming tex...more
Courtney
Prelutsky, J. The Wizard. Greenwillow Books (2007).

This book is about an evil wizard who is waiting alone is his tower deciding what mean things to do next. He can't decide if he should make a potion, turn someone into a frog, or cast an evil.

The reading level for this book is for ages 4-8, and I think many children will enjoy this book because of the amazing pictures. They are all very detailed and very bright.
Joyce
This poem makes an excellent read-aloud and can be used In a Halloween or magic themed storytime. The illustrations are gorgeous and the story is eerie, fun, and easy to read.
Linda Lipko
It sounds trite to say that the illustrations took my breath away, but they did indeed.

I read this to our little neighbor girls and they smiled and giggled and wanted to read it again and again.

A nasty wizard who lives in a tower turns a frog into six various transformations. There is a great deal of poetry and a rhythmic flow to the text.

Highly recommended!
Danielle Trevino
I discovered this book while looking for fairy tale genre related books. Needless to say, it was an excellent find. The poetry that Jack Prelutsky presents will reel any child into this magical book. The pictures are definitely what help define the book and make it so incredible. I was amazed at how detailed each picture was. When I read it for the first time, I was so excited to see what the illustration was going to be on the next page. A great lesson would be for the students to create their...more
Sq.Hill Library
In the wake of the wizard-positive Harry Potter extravaganza, this book for younger children reminds us of the darker side of wizardry. Told in wonderfully rhythmic rhyme, the story of a wizard who catches a frog and changes it into many different objects through his dark arts is told more effectively through the richly layered and detailed illustrations than through the text.

Very young children might be worried by the final pages, where there is an implication of the wizard turning a child into...more
Heidi
When I cracked open this book and saw the fantastic picture of a crumbling wizard's tower in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, I was excited to see the dynamics between the fantasy world and the modern world. I was disappointed that the entire picture book was about changing a toad into various creatures and back into a toad again. This book could have been so much more. I was hoping for the wizard getting into an argument with the city council over zoning, or the wizard zapping a neighbor...more
Wyshona D. Lawson
This was a really cute book.
(NS) Lauren
Grade/Interest Level: K-2

The wizard, watchful, waits alone within his tower of cold gray stone and ponders in his wicked way what evil deeds he'll do this day. What do you think the wizard is planning to do? Conjure a magic spell? Turn a frog into a flea? Fill a cauldron with bubbling brew? You may think you know . . . but watch out. Because if the wizard is bored, he may come looking for you!

Samantha Penrose
The illustrations were great, but the story was just 'eh. It had a nice rythmn but wasn't all that captivating and I didnt like that the wizard was reffered to as "wicked" and "evil". I thought the choice of words was a) harsh, and b) not really consistant with the story. Besides, a wizard is definetly mysterious, powerful, and even tricky, but evil? I dont know.
Dolly
Jan 10, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've enjoyed reading a few of Jack Prelutsky's books and we love his whimsical poetry. This book seems to take on a darker side. The narrative is a wee bit spooky, but very exciting. The pictures are gorgeous - their rich dark colors, complex expressions and myriad details invoke a spell of their own. Our girls really enjoyed this book and so did I.
Thomas
First of all, I think this book definately deserves an award. But the title should have been The Warlock because he's kind of evil. You know what I mean. It took me about 10 minutes to read and I'm an 8 year old 3rd grader. It was easy to read but not too easy. The pictures were good.
Jill
Oct 15, 2013 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A 4-year old boy
Illustrations are beautiful, prose is poetic. Great bedtime story to inspire imagination, wonder and conversation. We read this again and again. We received it as a birthday gift from some friends. Would be an excellent book to give at a birthday party, just as it was given to us.
Rebekka
This was a read-aloud selection for our Summer Reading Program. The story itself gets three stars from us. We liked the lyrical flow of the story, but the true gem in this book is the artwork! I gave it an extra star for its' beautiful pages. Would read again. Ages 4-10.
Nicole
Ooo, the malevolence, I like it! This is no cheery wizard and when he looks down from his creepy tower onto the children below, there's a shiver of 'uh oh' in the reader. Prelutsky keeps us rushing forward and it's a marvel to see what will happen next. Good fun.
Kayla
The illustrations in this book are beautiful. The story line is great and I love how it is a picture book and a poem. The ending is unexpected and I think that children will really enjoy this book. It's nice to read a book that has an unexpected ending.
Lori
Stunning illustrations bring this poem to life....The wizard, watchful, waits alone within his tower of cold gray stone and ponders in his wicked way what evil deeds he'll do this day. This is great for older students! Exquisite vocabulary
Nanci Booher
I love rhyming picture books. And this one is by Jack Prelutsky, author of "It's Raining Pigs and Noodles" one of my all time favorite poetry books. The illustrations are a mix between new CG (think Lorax and UP) and good ole' fashioned drawing.
Mandi Murphy
This book was alright. My two year old enjoyed all of the pictures of frogs and lizards. I've never been much for poetry, so it could be all me. Brandon Dorman, however, did a most brilliant job of illustrating it,as usual.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A 2007 adaptation of a poem originally published in 1976. I haven't seen the original version, but this one is wonderful. Great illustrations, rhyming text, and fanciful antics, as a bored wizard spends a day conjuring. Magic.
Eden
This book contains a poem about a Wizard and all the things he does with his magic. It was very enjoyable. I liked reading and seeing the pictures. I do feel bad for the frog though and all he was put through by the Wizard.
Marissa Gunter
The author uses rhyming throughout the book and is very creative. I am not sure this is my favorite book I have read, though. Children might need help with some of the vocabulary in this book because it could be over their heads.
Lura
I love Jack Prelutsky and can't believe that I missed when this story/rhyme was published!! Very happy that I have read it and that it will now be a part of my school library! :-) Students will be happy too when they read this!
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Emma Kate
  • Bats at the Beach
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children